Playoff Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff Hockey

Even with all the other sports that I watch, and all the agonizing games that I've seen (looking at you, Cubs and Illini...), I'm pretty sure that playoff hockey is going to be the death of me. I know that there aren't a ton of hockey fans out here in the middle of Kansas, but I'm kind of surprised that there wasn't already a thread about this. I can't possibly be the only person on SN who is watching it, can I?? And even though tonight sucks with my Blackhawks getting knocked out, you're going to have an extremely hard time convincing me that playoff hockey doesn't completely blow playoff basketball out of the water.

Huge Blackhawks fans here. Tonight really sucked, but that series was awesome.

Comment

I thought Chicago was toast, but they really fought their way back into that series. It's too bad they couldn't pull it off, but I have to say I really like Quick as well. That's about as good of a name for a great goalie as Glass is going to be for a forward at WSU.

Comment

Kansas has hockey fans but the NHL isn't providing Kansas with a home team to follow on tv. KC get Blues games. Wichita gets nothing. They should either get Blues or Stars. Look at how many Wichitans became OKC Thunder fans once FSN added games.

Comment

Great theater, but I really enjoyed the Rangers Habs series just a shade more. You're right though, the entire playoffs have been great. Playoff hockey, a sport unto itself, is one of life's simple pleasures imho.

And for the record, I have no dog in the hunt as my team, the Sabres, haven't made the playoffs in my adult life it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Great theater, but I really enjoyed the Rangers Habs series just a shade more. You're right though, the entire playoffs have been great. Playoff hockey, a sport unto itself, is one of life's simple pleasures imho.

And for the record, I have no dog in the hunt as my team, the Sabres, haven't made the playoffs in my adult life it seems.
            I always knew you were a Satan follower!

image.jpg
            Last edited by Dave Stalwart; June 2, 2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
              Kansas has hockey fans but the NHL isn't providing Kansas with a home team to follow on tv. KC get Blues games. Wichita gets nothing. They should either get Blues or Stars. Look at how many Wichitans became OKC Thunder fans once FSN added games.
              True on all counts. I know Kansas does have rabid hockey fans, as seen at Thunder games. Unfortunately, it's mostly a core group, and there's zero being done to grow a casual fanbase, with the lack of hockey on TV that comes from being in this NHL dead zone. Of course, it doesn't help that the NHL is still climbing back out of the hole they dug with the cancelled season in '04-'05, at least as far as national coverage is concerned. Their on-ice product is certainly exciting, but if the games are tucked away on NBCSN and NHL Network, it's not going to help many casual fans see it.

As far as TV here, I thought that Wichita gets some of the Blues broadcasts on FS Midwest. That at least used to be the case, didn't it? Either way, that coverage would obviously be sporadic at best, with the Thunder and Royals getting priority.

Comment

Well, even though the end result sucked since I've shifted my rooting interest to the Rangers for the Finals, I don't think NBC could have asked for much more than a hard fought, overtime game to kick off the series.

Comment

Working...
                X