No announcement yet.

Women's ref rejected at Kansas school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can attempt to justify it any way you want. Their views are NOT the same.

Comparing this church to the Taliban is sensationalism at best, outright slander at worst. I didn't see any reference to that school patrolling the sidelines with guns and burkas.

Comment

It's actually generalism. It's like calling an American who is extremely racist a Nazi. Hopefully that wouldn't offend you, too.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
        It's actually generalism. It's like calling an American who is extremely racist a Nazi. Hopefully that wouldn't offend you, too.
        I'm pretty sure generalism isn't a word. I believe you meant generalization.
        "You can observe a lot just by watching."
        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Generalizations are fine when the two things you are connecting are on the same general level, like extreme racism and Nazi-ism.

A school not wanting a female ref to call a boys basketball game is not on the same general level as a repressive government enforcing its beliefs with military force and capital punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            Generalizations are fine when the two things you are connecting are on the same general level, like extreme racism and Nazi-ism.

A school not wanting a female ref to call a boys basketball game is not on the same general level as a repressive government enforcing its beliefs with military force and capital punishment.
            Yes - but the actual act/belief I am comparing is similar for both parties. A school that believes women should not be in a position of authority, and should be submissive to men sounds alot like the Taliban.

And I still meant generalism :D We are diving too deep into moral philosophy here!

I'll just agree to disagree.

Comment

Do you understand the biblical (Holy Bible, not the Quran) concept of submission and the responsibility of those in authority over the submitted?

If you did, you wouldn't be making the generalization.

Comment

The school must not understand either if they won't allow a woman to officiate a basketball game. They took the concept of authority/submission to the extreme.

Comment

Would you guys mind if women officiated men's college basketball games?

How come the NCAA isn't being called out on this one? Hmm?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
                    The school must not understand either if they won't allow a woman to officiate a basketball game. They took the concept of authority/submission to the extreme.
                    Nice deflection.

This is a dead horse. I'm done beating it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                      Would you guys mind if women officiated men's college basketball games?
                      Heck no. If they are good and can keep up with the pace, bring 'em on!

How come the NCAA isn't being called out on this one? Hmm?
                      I'm guessing that a woman has yet to petition the NCAA or affiliated league to be hired. If that happens and she's denied, you can bet a firestorm will ensue.

Comment

I guess this school is a "fringe religious" school. It is run by the Society of St. Pius X - a sect that broke away from the Catholic Church - and has been accused of having some extremist views. Some from this Kansas sect have even elected their own "Pope Michael."

Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Comment

I appreciated the Taliban reference, keep up the good work. I hate seeing a perfectly good religion co-opted by extremists.
                          "A fanatic is someone who does what God would,
                          if God had all the facts."
                          Unleash Brett Burley, let all tremble before him!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X