Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 KC Chiefs Off-season

5 players worth more to others than to KC

Many fans of the Kansas City Chiefs were upset at Tuesday's depressing developments, and it's difficult to blame them. The Chiefs lost five players who were regulars last season in the first hour or so after the start of the free-agent signing period: left tackle Branden Albert (signed with the Miami Dolphins), receiver/punt returner Dexter McCluster (Tennessee Titans), defensive end Tyson Jackson (Atlanta Falcons), and guards Jon Asamoah (Atlanta) and Geoff Schwartz (New York Giants).

There is no way to paint this as good news. Here is what I wrote early Tuesday morning, as it appeared the Chiefs would lose those players. It still applies now.

But you can console yourself with this: Every one of those players has more value to his new team than he would have to the Chiefs. The Chiefs were smart to not even try to compete with those offers.
    Many fans of the Kansas City Chiefs were upset at Tuesday's depressing developments, and it's difficult to blame them. The Chiefs lost five players who were regulars last season in the first hour or so after the start of the free-agent signing period: left tackle Branden Albert (signed with the Miami Dolphins), receiver/punt returner Dexter McCluster (Tennessee Titans), defensive end Tyson Jackson (Atlanta Falcons), and guards Jon Asamoah (Atlanta) and Geoff Schwartz (New York Giants).

All of them were overpaid. Good for them I guess.

That's what happens when you're a good team. People overpay for your free agents.

I believe they are saving room to resign both Houston and Barry. Having Hali restructure would also help ease some cap hit.
    The Assman

Comment

5 players with a combined value of over $100 million. I would have been so pissed if the Chiefs held on to them for that.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Chiefs sign Joe Mays. 2 years, $6 million.

Who remembers this hit?

The Assman

Comment

I prefer this one
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

This who Emmanuel Sanders debacle, really just sums up what it's like to be a Chiefs fan. It really is laughable. It's not even that is Jerry Rice or anything, but just that fact KC thought they had him and he ends up in Denver instead.

This franchise is snakebitten and cursed. I don't know why I still invest so much time and energy into this team. Since I am a glutton for punishment, I will continue to show up disappointing season after disappointing season. It's the Chiefs way.

If only I grew up a Packers (or Steelers, Giants, Patriots, pretty much any other team) fan.. haha
            The Assman

Comment

I suppose part of the problem is Chiefs are really tight on cap room. Sanders was solid guy, but no need to sell out for him because he has some issues with dropping key passes and injury issues earlier in his career. Plus if you have a choice with playing with a pass happy Manning or KC who do you choose? I'm suprised Broncos let Decker get away.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                Plus if you have a choice with playing with a pass happy Manning or KC who do you choose?
                The fact is though, a deal was agreed upon in principle with KC (through Sanders agent). His agent then used that as leverage in negotiations.

Since KC thought he was signing with them, they could have missed out negotiating with other FA WRs. Maybe they would have gone after someone else that end up signing with a different team.

Yes, technically what he did wasn't illegal, but it sure was ethical. Also, I don't believe the Broncos had no idea what was going on (maybe that's just my fandom speaking, but I'm sticking to it).
                The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                  The fact is though, a deal was agreed upon in principle with KC (through Sanders agent). His agent then used that as leverage in negotiations.

Since KC thought he was signing with them, they could have missed out negotiating with other FA WRs. Maybe they would have gone after someone else that end up signing with a different team.

Yes, technically what he did wasn't illegal, but it sure was ethical. Also, I don't believe the Broncos had no idea what was going on (maybe that's just my fandom speaking, but I'm sticking to it).
                  Well is that really somebody who really want on your team that will pull something like that? The reality is his agent may be hurting himself and his clients in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X