Google's Project Tango

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Project Tango

Take the latest in computer vision, power it with custom-built hardware and chipsets, and put Google behind the wheel. Welcome to Project Tango, an attempt to revolutionize mobile mapping.

When Google sold off Motorola Mobility, it kept the company's Advanced Technology and Projects (ATAP) group and moved it under the Android umbrella. Now we know at least part of the reason why: Project Tango.

Project Tango is an ambitious attempt by ATAP, a skunkworks division with Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) roots that's been peeled away from Motorola Mobility, to give smartphones the ability to do realistic 3D mapping and create virtual experiences as the phone's owner moves through the real world. Not surprisingly, there's more to it than that.
    Suggested applications range from the mundane, such as capturing the dimensions of your home before furniture shopping simply by waving the phone around a room, to the helpful, such as aiding the visually impaired inside unfamiliar buildings, to the frivolous, such as turning a hallway into a virtual-reality game space.
    Last edited by 1979Shocker; February 22, 2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Never trust a fifty year old guy wearing a hoodie.
      An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Never trust anyone over 30.

Comment

Do you think I can hook this google thing up to my WebTv?
          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

I'm too old for this ****.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
            X