interesting history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting history

did you know that Wichita State hired the first Black division 1 head football coach? I had no idea and I grew up on 25th and Grove. That is remarkable and I think more should be said about it. That give me a great sense of pride in the hometown school..

For years, other schools claimed other coaches as the first African-American head football coach at a predominantly white college -- incorrectly. Finally, Macalester's Don Hudson is getting his due, writes Jay Weiner.

It wasn't until 1979 that Wichita State hired Willie Jeffries, the first black head coach at a Division I school.

Coach Jeffries is not only a great person, he is seriously under-rated as a pioneer. He was unfairly dismissed, imho, from WSU.

I remember those days with a lot of joy. Football at WSU......

Comment

It's crazy (sad?) to think that the first black D-1 head coach was hired less than 30 years ago.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

And not many of them in place today as D1 head coaches.

Comment

A good thing though, for my generation (I'm 42) is that I didn't think a thing about it when he was the coach.

He was just the coach.

I think until we don't think these things are remarkale, we'll have race problems.

I do understand why it is signficant that Obama might be the first black nominee for president, but it would be more signficant if race weren't discussed when it came to Barack Hussein Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
            A good thing though, for my generation (I'm 42) is that I didn't think a thing about it when he was the coach.

He was just the coach.

I think until we don't think these things are remarkalle we'll have race problems.

I do understand why it is signficant that Obama might be the first black nominee for president, but it would be more signficant if race weren't discussed when it came to Barack Hussein Obama.
            Truer words have never been spoken...

Comment

Working...
            X