Teeny tiny windmills could recharge phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeny tiny windmills could recharge phones

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

A microscopic windmill could one day provide a portable method of charging devices. The tiny machines, just 1.8 millimeters at their widest point (10 can fit on a single grain of rice), can harvest energy from the movement of air.

They are the work of University of Texas, Arlington, research associate Smitha Rao and electrical engineering professor J.-C. Chiao. The pair envisions smartphone cases embedded with hundreds of windmills that could charge the phones therein when waved through the air or held by an open window on a windy day.

The windmills were crafted using origami techniques that allow two-dimensional shapes to be electroplated on a flat plane, then self-assembled into 3D moving mechanical structures. They're made of a durable, flexible nickel alloy that can stand up to strong winds without fracturing, helped by a minimal, aerodynamic design.

Attach billions of them to a jogging suit, and give them out to all Boston Marathon runners, power the east coast.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      Attach billions of them to a jogging suit, and give them out to all Boston Marathon runners, power the east coast.
      insert joke of poor taste here
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I think I will wait for the methane capture suit that will transform methane into a usable source of power.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          I think I will wait for the methane capture suit that will transform methane into a usable source of power.
          I'd be able to make so much power.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
          X