Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now they use "underprivileged"

Comment

Not a very warm welcome by the Texas booster. How he could be so dumb as to throw the coach under the bus this early in his career at Texas is mind-boggling.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

He's an idiot; but they need his 100 million more than they need Charlie. Reading further, it sounds like there were big-money boosters on the search committee to hire Mack, but not this time. I imagine Charlie will do well at Texas.

Comment

Just my opinion, but you don't have to read too much in Red's comment to understand he disapproves with an African American leading the program. I personally believe he's still a card carrying member of the, 'If it ain't white, it ain't right' club.

What I find more interesting is the Bobby Petrino hiring at L'Ville. I don't see why all the hub-bub some people are making over him. Yeah, he was banging a 20 something year old mistress and gave her a job, but L'Ville is place to go if you have a mistress. Rick Pitino will tell you that.

Comment

But you do have to "read something into it"

Comment

The McCombs quote that the leftist media left out.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texas-b...lkA1ZJUDM1Ml8x

The McCombs quote that the leftist media left out.
                After reading that article, all I got was 3 points about McCombs' thoughts of Strong's hiring.

1) The Texas AD made the hire without the big time boosters' input.

2) McCombs' opinion of Strong was meant as a slap at AD Patterson, primarily because of #1.

3) McCombs wanted a "Big Splash" guy.

Comment

What a disaster. Prospective candidates have to be taking this situation into account.

Comment

Sorry to bump this 2 month old thread.

I was a Texas season ticket holder from 2002 until the end of the 2009 season.
                    if any of you care, i'm going to clarify a little on the hire and situation surrounding it.

The previous AD, Deloss Dodds has been around an eternity. He was golf and booze buddies with the big money guys at UT(McCombs, Joe Jamail, ETC) When Mack was Hired, Those same BMD's wanted a lot more access to the program than they were given by previous coaches. Mack fulfilled that request. Those same donors, in conjunction with The AD, D. Dodds are the ones that allowed for mack to stick around after the 2010 debacle. Not only did he stick around, he was given raises and extentions through I believe 2019.

Because of political posturing between the University President, Board of regents, and (aggie) Texas governor Rick Perry; the Athletic department was left to its own for better or worse. The BOR and President won the battle, and then the BOR turned their sights on Mack and the AD. Dodds Was forced out, then it was Macks turn. A note of particular importance, Macks Atty is Joe Jamail, the guy that I mentioned before as a BMD. He is also the guy that the Field at DKR memorial stadium is named after. Jamail also has two statues of his likeness on campus. once it was determined that it was time for Mack to ride off into the sunset, all persons involved felt it best for mack to leave gracefully, IE retire. Mack and his buddies hem-hawed back and forth, kept pushing the decision out further and further. All the while Paterson did not have the stature to say "Mack GTFO".

Here is the part where it gets ugly. I believe this kind of thing goes on at all big football schools. But, the alumni's "need" for information made this look like a soup sandwich. two websites, 247 and Orangebloods, Each had their own, different sources of information. those sources either did not know a damn thing or were mouth pieces for the donors. Possibly they were the donors themselves. The university was staying tight lipped about its intentions, and the donors found out quickly they were not going to be included in the decision. SO, they went out and told the two websites what they wanted to happen as though it was going to happen. we ended up with those two sites laying tons of incorrect information out there, and most likely scaring off a candidate or two.

While it was a ugly and embarrassing situation, I think the football program is better off with Strong. Hell, It probably would have been better off with Charlie Weiss running it. Mack had become lazy and complacent.

Red McCombs little rant was a manifestation of his anger at having been left out of the process.His 100 mil is nice to have. But, there is a whole new crop of younger donors with tons of money ready to step up and fill the coffers.

Comment

I think Strong was a GREAT hire.

Hell of a coach, recruiter, and man.

That is just something you don't find much anymore.
                      The Assman

Comment

strong was a great hire. I don't actually think saban was ever seriously considered by the AD. I think the Satan talk was purely from the big time boosters.

Comment

Working...
                        X