WSU Football Plane Crash Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Football Plane Crash Site

I believe a visit to the 1970 plane crash site is a pilgramage every Shocker fan should experience if they have the desire. Its location is not widely known and can be difficult to find despite its close proximity to I-70 near the Eisenhower Tunnel and Loveland Ski Area, so it took me a couple of years of searching and bushwhacking to find it. The thought has crossed my mind more than once to look into what efforts would be necessary for the Forest Service to designate it as a protected area or park and allow official trails/monuments to be built (should fundraising be successful), but I worry that if its location were more widely known that vandalism of the site and of what remains of the wreckage would ensue. Protection and publicity is a mixed blessing, so perhaps it is best for its location to remain somewhat of a mystery. In the meantime, should any Shockernetters out there want to visit the site feel free to PM me for directions, all I ask is just please keep in mind during your visit that this is as much a gravesite as it is anything else. I have included some images I have taken from my visits over the past few years.

IMG_1835.jpg

Small memorial alongside I-70

IMG_0962.jpg

Large pieces of the plane are still at the site

IMG_0963.jpg
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

IMG_0969.jpg

Even to this day the area is still charred from the fire

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

Part of the landing gear
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

IMG_0976.jpg

The top of this tree, located just east of the site, has been chopped off. Did the plane hit it on its way down?

IMG_0980.jpg

Most of what is left of the plane is located in a small area of the site. Maybe if it is someday designated as a memorial this area can be fenced off.

IMG_0985.jpg

A somber yet stunning place
      Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; December 27, 2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I can't remember the mile marker that it is located at, but here is an aerial view of the area for the memorial and the crash site. The green arrow is the actual crash site, you can see the memorial marked on the map.

A sad thing is as time goes on, the memories fade, and those that weren't affected by the tragedy don't understand the importance of honoring those who lost their lives. I'd suggest to everyone who hasn't been, or hasn't been in a while, to attend the wreath ceremony held every year at the memorial on campus. To stand with Shockers in silence and hear the names of each person who lost their life on the trip... it'll stick with you. Please attend next year, it is worth your time, I promise.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I have made the pilgramage, and left flowers my last time by on I 70.

Definitely a moving moment, and something about the area the plane crashed doesnt feel right. Cant even begin to put it into words.

Comment

Working...
          X