X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess

How many chess players do we have?
    In the fast lane

I play a little, but not as much as I'd like.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Used to play a lot. Teaching my 5 year old these days.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        I play a little, but not as much as I'd like.
        Playing online increased my games.
        In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
          Playing online increased my games.
          Yeah I used to play a ton at ICC.

What's your rating?

Comment

I play on chess.com. 1350 on 30 minute games. 1450 on on-line 1 to 3 days a move. I suck on blitz.
            In the fast lane

Comment

I enjoy chess, I just don't have the patience for it. Is anyone old enough to remember the recaps of Kasparov and Karpov that they would do on PBS with that giant chess board and the hanging pieces? I was enthralled by that as a child.

Searching for Bobbie Fisher is one of my favorite movies of all time, although not so much because of chess.

Nyet, it's over.

You're a much stronger player than I was at your age.

I reality, Josh and Jonathan (actually Jeff Sarwer) played to a draw after Jeff declined the draw. Josh won the tiebreaker after they decided he played tougher opponents. Josh was 9, Jeff 7.

Jeff is a poker player on the EPT and Josh ended up in martial arts I think. I know, nobody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                I play on chess.com. 1350 on 30 minute games. 1450 on on-line 1 to 3 days a move. I suck on blitz.
                Nice. I spent much of my time playing bullets and blitz because I never had time for quality matches. Sneaking in games during breaks at work and what not. :)

Comment

I hear the level of play is tougher at ICC. I've only been playing on line for a little over 2 months. Before that mostly with one friend. I learned the moves as a child but didn't start taking it up as a hobby until recently.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

I also play. I enjoy chess.com but nothing beats a board and pieces. My son has been playing since he was four, so seven years now. My favorite offensive opening is the Stonewall Attack. My favorite defensive opening is the Russian game.
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Yeah I was like you. @tropicalshox:. Knew the moves as a child but knew nothing of strategy or had no friends that played. Then a 1600ish rated coworker taught me some basic openings and kicked my arse daily until after a few months I finally beat him. Then I started at ICC. But this was years ago. Maybe late 90s and early 2000s.

I got ranked high enough at one point to play a master but it was a joke. I totally wasted his time and learned nothing in return except humility and what it would feel like to be Scott Thompson coaching against Gregg Marshall.

Comment

You guys are way above me.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          Yeah I was like you. @tropicalshox:.
                          I got ranked high enough at one point to play a master but it was a joke. I totally wasted his time and learned nothing in return except humility and what it would feel like to be Scott Thompson coaching against Gregg Marshall.
                          Gosh when you put it that way... That must have been incredibly embarrassing

Comment

8th grade chess team, represent.
                            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                              Gosh when you put it that way... That must have been incredibly embarrassing

I'll go with humbling to the point of humiliation. LOL After about our 5th match I told him I was sorry for wasting his time, but thanks for the experience. He was very cool and gracious. It was a cool experience but at the same time I realized my rating was misleading and the gap between me and a master was a universe apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X