MLB to ban home plate collisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB to ban home plate collisions

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Major League Baseball plans to eliminate home plate collisions, possibly as soon as next season but no later than by 2015.

Sources tell ESPN.com's Buster Olney that there is a strong desire for MLB's rules committee to fast track the specific rule changes in time for next season.

Under the rules changes being discussed, sources told Olney:
    • Catchers will not be allowed to block home plate.
    • Runners will not be permitted to target the catchers.
    • The question of whether or not the plate was blocked or the runner targeted the catcher will be reviewable, with an immediate remedy available to the umpires.
    • Catchers or runners who violate the new rules will be subject to disciplinary action.
    Major League Baseball plans to eliminate home plate collisions, possibly as soon as next season but no later than by 2015.

stupid rule change. If a catcher is blocking the base without the ball it is OBSTRUCTION. Simple as that. If you want to protect catchers establish a crash rule.

Comment

Protecting the quarterback in the pocket, can't touch a guy going out of bounds, helmet-to-helmet hits in football, no elbows above the shoulders in basketball, .... this was just a matter of time. Soon enough, there'll be instant replays on hits-by-pitches above the waist.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        stupid rule change. If a catcher is blocking the base without the ball it is OBSTRUCTION. Simple as that. If you want to protect catchers establish a crash rule.
        This.
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Buster Posey's ankle screams, why not a earlier?!
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Couldn't they simply enforce the obstruction rule and then add the high school, slow pitch softball rule that you must slide into home if there is a play at the plate? This replay and all the other mumbo jumbo is a pain in the ass. I rather like the collision at home, but since every sport is going no contact, the slow pitch rule seems like the most reasonable solution.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Ray Fosse is qouted as saying "it's about damn time."

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                Ray Fosse is qouted as saying "it's about damn time."
                Yeah, but it was a typical dick move by Pete Rose. Ten bucks says Rose had money on the All Star game.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Yes, in the absence of play being made, it is obstruction. Most of America knows this rule now thanks to the most recent World Series, but I think blocking the plate (when there is a play at the plate) is part of the game and part of being a great catcher. The ensuing plowing of the catcher is not, especially if he in the act of catching the ball and looking away from the runner. Finding a way to sneak a hand by the block is every bit as exciting as the block itself.

Comment

I don't know why they need to change it. If a catcher chooses to block home plate, he is fair game whether he has the ball or not. Head hunting is another thing whatsoever. Without the breaking up of the double play and collisions at home plate, the legend of Ty Cobb would have no notoriety. He'd be just another above average baseball player. Quit messing with the game.

Comment

I bet the Obama administration is behind it. Add this to the list that already includes BCS, PEDs, and Bracketology....

Comment

Another way bud is ruining baseball. Gosh I can't stand that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                          I bet the Obama administration is behind it. Add this to the list that already includes BCS, PEDs, and Bracketology....
                          Either them or the Tea Party. But now with Congress passing the new budget, maybe it's a bi-partisan effort.

Comment

Working...
                          X