Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamza Abdullah twitter rant against NFL

https://twitter.com/HamzaAbdullah21

Really going off today in regards to the NFL and concussions. I have some real issues with some of what he's saying but curious what you all think. Warning, there's megatons of f-bombs in his rant.

I don't what to think except I'm glad he's seeking professional help on a weekly basis, and I don't care who pays for it.

The man has some serious anger issues and it's hard to take anything he says as all that serious. I'm sure he has some valid points to make, just not sure he's going about it the right way.

Matter of fact, I'm sure he's not.

Also, I didn't know if he was joking or not, but I learned both Jordan Peele and Keegan Michael Key are bi-racial. Key actually was born to a bi-racial couple, was adopted by a bi-racial couple, and if my information is correct, is married to a white woman. Doesn't mean anything, just thought it was interesting.

Comment

It is certainly true that his approach is far from ideal for making a reasoned argument (although could in part be an effect of the very thing that he is railing against - prolonged brain injury).

As to his point, the reports that have surfaced suggesting that the NFL has known about and covered up the frequency and long term impacts of concussions is a worrisome issue. At the NFL level, I have little problem with the fact that there are high risks associated with that career path in light of the high financial reward players gain. There have been plenty of people doing very dangerous manual labor for far less. So the fact that there are long term health risks to NFL players (especially more recent ones who have lived in an era of high salaries) is minimal.

The idea that the NFL has covered up the issue, on the other hand, is a problem. If we are going to posit that NFL players should not complain about the risks because they could evaluate the risk/reward at play, it is untenable that the league would lie about what those risks are. As with cigarette companies, it is one thing if the risks are not understood, but another thing entirely to know the risks and to cover it up to keep people from weighing those risks in relation to your product.

Furthermore, if the NFL has been covering up the concussion issue, it is also a problem relating to football at lower levels. Those NFL players may have salaries that adequately compensate them for the risk, but those in college, high school, etc. may not. If the NFL has not only failed to do all they could to educate people about the risks of the game of football, but has hid those risks, there appears to be some moral responsibility for those who suffered brain injury in the years between when the NFL knew of those risks and recent years when those risks have become public knowledge.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        It is certainly true that his approach is far from ideal for making a reasoned argument (although could in part be an effect of the very thing that he is railing against - prolonged brain injury).

As to his point, the reports that have surfaced suggesting that the NFL has known about and covered up the frequency and long term impacts of concussions is a worrisome issue. At the NFL level, I have little problem with the fact that there are high risks associated with that career path in light of the high financial reward players gain. There have been plenty of people doing very dangerous manual labor for far less. So the fact that there are long term health risks to NFL players (especially more recent ones who have lived in an era of high salaries) is minimal.

The idea that the NFL has covered up the issue, on the other hand, is a problem. If we are going to posit that NFL players should not complain about the risks because they could evaluate the risk/reward at play, it is untenable that the league would lie about what those risks are. As with cigarette companies, it is one thing if the risks are not understood, but another thing entirely to know the risks and to cover it up to keep people from weighing those risks in relation to your product.

Furthermore, if the NFL has been covering up the concussion issue, it is also a problem relating to football at lower levels. Those NFL players may have salaries that adequately compensate them for the risk, but those in college, high school, etc. may not. If the NFL has not only failed to do all they could to educate people about the risks of the game of football, but has hid those risks, there appears to be some moral responsibility for those who suffered brain injury in the years between when the NFL knew of those risks and recent years when those risks have become public knowledge.
        That's pretty close to my take on it. The things that stood out to me were:

1. Where was the outrage at the NCAA and it's member schools?

2. If the NFL is covering up and intentionally misreporting injuries, that's troubling.

3. Early in his rant he says they all knew the risks going in, and would do it again. If that's true, then by his own admission, nothing the NFL does or would have done differently would change a thing.

4. Given #3, later in the rant he expects the NFL to take care of everyone after their careers, including psychiatric care. I find that attitude troubling, as well. Pay the $120 a week for the care you require as a result of a choice you say you would make again. Don't expect the NFL to do that for you. Take responsibility!

Comment

Working...
        X