Star SM West receiver Andre Maloney suffers stroke during game Has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star SM West receiver Andre Maloney suffers stroke during game Has died

According 810WHB.com, the young man died today.

After Maloney scored on a 63-yard touchdown reception Thursday, SM West football coach Tim Callaghan said Maloney grabbed a bottle of water and “got dizzy and lost functioning.” He never lost consciousness, Callaghan said.

“He was pretty much untouched, so I don’t think anybody would say it happened on the play,” SM West athletic director Don Perkins said.

Maloney, who starts at wide receiver and cornerback, verbally committed in July to play football at Kansas. Last winter he helped SM West win the school’s first state championship since 1985.
    Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/04...#storylink=cpy
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

So sad hearing about these types of things. Nobody really considers these things as in the grand scheme of it all it's rare, but we are hearing more and more about these types of things now.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I will make my best diagnosis. Something I am very familiar with. I am going to say that he sustained an arterial dissection in his neck at some point earlier in the game. These dissections frequently occur with whiplash or head trauma injuries. As time progressed, a clot was forming in the dissected artery which eventually caused a complete blockage or a part of the clot dislodged and flowed to his brain causing a stroke.

Pure speculation on my part, but as a former victim of this injury, I am totally surprised more do not occur in football given the head shots and whiplash affects these guys sustain. Poor kid, wish his family well.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
        I will make my best diagnosis. Something I am very familiar with. I am going to say that he sustained an arterial dissection in his neck at some point earlier in the game. These dissections frequently occur with whiplash or head trauma injuries. As time progressed, a clot was forming in the dissected artery which eventually caused a complete blockage or a part of the clot dislodged and flowed to his brain causing a stroke.

Pure speculation on my part, but as a former victim of this injury, I am totally surprised more do not occur in football given the head shots and whiplash affects these guys sustain. Poor kid, wish his family well.
        I know someone who was squatting a significant amount of weight and had this happen to them. Although, he said it was very unusual and said some are genetically predisposed to it. If you don't mind me asking, what caused this to happen to you?
        β€œLet your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
        -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          I agree that some minor head trauma may happen more than we know. However instead of whiplash injuries, most neck injuries are from jamming the neck (stingers and burners) which result know pinch nerves.

Comment

Working...
          X