The Angus Beef Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Angus Beef Scam

The only difference between angus beef and every other variety of beef is that angus cattle have more body fat than other types.

That matters in steaks, where the fat spread throughout the meat make the steak more tender. The problem for most of the angus advertising is that most of the steaks with heavy fat marbling are sold to the restaurant market and to high-end meat markets.

By the time you get to meat that's in grocery stores, there is virtully no difference between angus beef and any other variety of beef.

Some non-angus types are known for strong musculature. That makes for tough steaks. Doesn't matter at all for roasts, which are cooked slowly. Then there's hamburger - and even hot dogs.

By the time you grind the meat up into itty-bitty pieces, tough or tender is no longer a factor. The only difference between "angus" and any other type is that angus has a higher fat content. The cheapest burger is always the highest fat content burger. But people will pay extra for angus burger that has a higher fat content than comparably-priced non-angus burger.

Check out the Calories and Calories From Fat on angus and non-angus hot dogs. You're paying extra for angus hot dogs in order to get a higher calorie hot dog with a higher percentage of calories from fat.

Unless you're in a high-end restaurant or a high-end meat market, all "angus" means is "fatty".
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Spaulding: "Are you gonna eat your fat?"
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Not too far off. An amazing sales job by the Angus organization. Absolutely.

Comment

Very true.

At the sale barn I work at in the summer we obviously try to group as many Blacks as possible from the Chars and the Red Angus.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
          Very true.

At the sale barn I work at in the summer we obviously try to group as many Blacks as possible from the Chars and the Red Angus.
          If you don't pull off the colored cattle, the buyer will have the option. It's insane. White-faced cattle with exactly the same frame and finish will bring 10% less than blacks.

Comment

Working...
          X