Lodging in SE Kansas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodging in SE Kansas?

It looks like we're going to be spending a few days at a state Babe Ruth basebll tournament in Frontenac/Pittsburg next weekend. Does anyone have any experience with motels/inns in the area? We're looking primarily at Pittsburg, Ft. Scott and Joplin/Carthage.

I've stayed in the motel (motel 8 iirc) in Baxter springs. It is adequate.
    That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

My son attended Pitt State. We always stayed at and were satisifed with the Lamplighter in Pittsburg. The AAA and "Pitt State" rate was $69/room; includes the hot breakfast buffet.
      "If you strive for perfection, often times you can achieve excellence." --Gregg Marshall

Comment

I couldn't find a place in Pittsburg that wasn't already booked. I ended up jumping on the Heritage Inn in Ft. Scott, since I could book the full range of dates, cancel at any time (no fees) and they'd only charge me for the nights we stayed. Looks like it's a former Microtel, but should serve our needs. Out in that area of the state I can't be too picky for $74/night. Thanks for the input!

Comment

I would have recommended Lamplighter as well. I am in Pitt once a year for a tech conference and have stayed at the Comfort Inn (very nice but pricier), the Regency Inn (nothing fancy but usually the cheapest), and the Holiday Lodge (locally owned place, clean, reasonable rates). As for dining, I recommend Harry's Cafe for breakfast, the Mall Deli for lunch, and Jim's Steak House for dinner. You can support Wichita-born Freddy's for frozen custard for a sweet treat. All are on Broadway, the main north-south drag through town.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

For food, Barto's Idle Hour in Frontenac. Can debate forever on who has the best chicken, my personal vote goes to Barto's.

Comment

Royal - You absolutely must go to Chicken Mary's at least once while you are there. It's a about two miles north and two miles east of Frontenac. There are signs.

Comment

For chicken, I prefer Mary's. Haven't tried Barto's Idle Hour, will do that next time!
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I should have called the Lamplighter to check, but when I found out the Heritage would only charge us for the days we actually stayed, even if we leave early, I jumped on it. I may still call just to see.

I heard there are a lot of good chicken places in the area, so we'll definitely have to check one or two out, depending on the game schedule.

Comment

I'm putting together my list of must-places to eat. Chicken Mary's is a definite (they won some Food Network contest a couple years ago?). Barto's is only two blocks south from where we're playing ball. Nu Grille in Ft Scott sounds like a good 'ol American diner to try. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                      I would have recommended Lamplighter as well. I am in Pitt once a year for a tech conference and have stayed at the Comfort Inn (very nice but pricier), the Regency Inn (nothing fancy but usually the cheapest), and the Holiday Lodge (locally owned place, clean, reasonable rates). As for dining, I recommend Harry's Cafe for breakfast, the Mall Deli for lunch, and Jim's Steak House for dinner. You can support Wichita-born Freddy's for frozen custard for a sweet treat. All are on Broadway, the main north-south drag through town.
                      What tech conference do they have at Pitt?
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The one I attend is the annual Technology and the Classroom conference, centered on computers and digital tech in education. There is another, called the Four State Tech Conference, that focuses on tech education, which would have been formerly known as industrial arts.

Comment

Working...
                        X