Web hosting and web site making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web hosting and web site making

I want to make a good looking website to advertise a product. godaddy looks enticing as a host. Is wordpress easy to create good looking websites? I have experience with dreamweaver, but all of my sites looked like a blast from the nineties, or like some MVC boards. I need help, please. inbox me or just reply, and I appreciate it.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Wordpress is a great Content Managament System (CMS). GoDaddy is ok for domain purchasing, but their hosting plans are awful. And that is from personal experience, not just regurgitating what I've read on the web. It truly is a crap hosting company. Issues with databases, issues with load speeds, issues with the site being down at random times.

I use two hosting companies for my stuff (SN & ShockerHoops). I use www.site5.com for SN, and www.webhostinghub.com for SH. Both are solid companies, I do more customer support with Site5 due to the nature of the beast with SN, doing server upgrades, maintenance scheduling, etc. They have offered the best customer service I've ever experienced. Kind, knowledgeable, and willing to help without it seeming like it's a burden. Isn't that crazy?

Both hosting companies allow you to do a seemless install of Wordpress and other CMS software on your hosting plan. Basically you click a button, input some parameters like user name & password, click ok, and within no more than 5 minutes, wordpress is installed on your server, ready to go. For someone not used to work in an FTP environment and a first try at doing some website making, sometimes the hardest part is the install of the CMS or Forum software. Those are positives, but I think are generally industry standard now for most large hosting companies.

You can also go to Wordpress.org and sign up for a free wordpress. I suggest doing this first, so you can look at the admin panel, look at the settings, the plugins, how you post articles and other content. See if it's something that you CAN and WANT to do. It's an easy way to do a test drive of the software, without having to dedicate money to purchasing a hosting plan, a domain, then installing wordpress for you to go "Crap, I hate this software." I doubt you will, it's very straight forward, and uses editors similar to ones you see in MS Office products.

Also, any problem you can have with wordpress is pretty easy to solve with a simple Google search. Lots of walk throughs and tips and tricks out there.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

If you're interested in making your own site, codecademy.com has a good system for learning HTML5/CSS coding.

Even if you're using a Wordpress site, knowing how to play with the CSS coding to customize it will be important to know.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
        If you're interested in making your own site, codecademy.com has a good system for learning HTML5/CSS coding.

Even if you're using a Wordpress site, knowing how to play with the CSS coding to customize it will be important to know.

Suuuuuuuuuure. NSA guy sends him to a website that coincidentally nobody has ever heard of before and probably is registered to some guy that doesn't exist in Fort Mead, MD. Amirite?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Suuuuuuuuuure. NSA guy sends him to a website that coincidentally nobody has ever heard of before and probably is registered to some guy that doesn't exist in Fort Mead, MD. Amirite?
          Got me >=)

Codecademy is where I'm learning random stuff to throw on my resume so I can stop working for certain folks. That military contract is finally coming to an end soon ;)

Funny you mention that, though, because codecademy.com actually uses a company that hides their website registration information. I was going to be all sneaky and tell you who did own it.
          Last edited by Rlh04d; July 10, 2013, 08:24 PM.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
          X