This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Rent $300 Utilities $100 Phone $100 Starbucks $100 Weed $150 Drank $250 Drank for friends $250 = Way more than $800 and I haven't eaten yet!

I don't know what planet you're on, but that's a clear case of the man keepin me down!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Wonder what occupations will still be needed 20-30 years from now?
      Someone to program and maintain the robot that programs and maintains the other robots, actors, singers and artists.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Unless you are going into a highly-selective field like law or medicine, there is not a darn thing wrong with going to a community college. No, it isn't sexy since there isn't a Greek system and there aren't 50,000+ who go to football games or 10,000+ who go to basketball games, but it can be a very productive way to start college. I went to a community college and between all the different scholarships available to me and having a good work study job, I had more than enough to cover my expenses. I didn't live like a king but I had what I needed.

Don't even get me started on the small private schools who basically charge six figures for degrees.
        That's absolutely right and I'd even take it a step further and say Tech School is a great option. For some kids, not going to college and going straight into the work force and learning on the job and making a career that way. My dad became a machinist and started out operating C&C lathes and worked his way up to programming, then engineering and has had a great career in 30+ years. All without a college degree, and I wish I knew half the **** he knows. I think our society has been brainwashing kids for decades that absolutely have to go to college to amount to anything and it couldn't be further from the truth.

Then you have kids like Shepherd and the whole BLM crowd who have been taught from a very early age that they are victims, and if they don't succeed it was because somebody held them back. Some of these kids actually believe they are oppressed, as if their situation is comparable to what Emmett Till or Rosa Parks went through. Give me a break. In all honesty, I pity Shepherd BLM/SJW crowd because I fear the victimhood mentality that they possess and our society's willingness to validate it by making excuses for them will continue to make it harder for them to break the cycle.

Bottom line is, there is no excuse. Anybody can be successful and prosperous if they want to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          Unless you are going into a highly-selective field like law or medicine, there is not a darn thing wrong with going to a community college. No, it isn't sexy since there isn't a Greek system and there aren't 50,000+ who go to football games or 10,000+ who go to basketball games, but it can be a very productive way to start college. I went to a community college and between all the different scholarships available to me and having a good work study job, I had more than enough to cover my expenses. I didn't live like a king but I had what I needed.

Don't even get me started on the small private schools who basically charge six figures for degrees.
          Spot on and ditto. I made money going to Hutch CC for two years before transferring to WSU.

My fiance is from Pennsylvania, having got her master's degree in their system. Community colleges are looked at much differently there. You only go to one if you were unable to get into a 4-year school, and looked down upon. Whereas here the CC's are a great option to get an affordable start toward a 4-year-plus degree. She even hopes her kids choose to start out at Hutch to get some of their general requirements out of the way.

Comment

• My siblings both went to JUCO for two years, as did my dad. We all paid for it ourselves either through work or scholarships. My sister got her degree and masters at WSU in education with some student loans. She was Kansas elementary teacher of the year. My brother dropped out but went back and got a couple of online tech degrees online while working full time and now owns a tech start-up worth 8 figures. My dad was a successful businessman. After one year of JUCO I went a different route and got a full ride (athletic/academic) to one of those private schools and was the only one in my family to graduate debt free...but I took out loans for medical school. DONT DROP OUT OF MEDICAL SCHOOL. My wife was the first in her family to go to college and paid for it with the grants/loans listed above and is now a published author in her blue collar field.

We all face different and similar challenges. How you face them makes a world of difference.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• What could happen if these snowflakes don't move on.

Comment

• The opening dialogue between Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson highlights the lack of civil discourse and bullying that occurs on college campuses in North America. Sad.

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Related coverage today in the Wichita Eagle.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    My siblings both went to JUCO for two years, as did my dad. We all paid for it ourselves either through work or scholarships. My sister got her degree and masters at WSU in education with some student loans. She was Kansas elementary teacher of the year. My brother dropped out but went back and got a couple of online tech degrees online while working full time and now owns a tech start-up worth 8 figures. My dad was a successful businessman. After one year of JUCO I went a different route and got a full ride (athletic/academic) to one of those private schools and was the only one in my family to graduate debt free...but I took out loans for medical school. DONT DROP OUT OF MEDICAL SCHOOL. My wife was the first in her family to go to college and paid for it with the grants/loans listed above and is now a published author in her blue collar field.

We all face different and similar challenges. How you face them makes a world of difference.
                    This is similar to my story! I flunked out of middle school and knocked up my cousin. I decided to enroll in tech school, but they said I couldn't until I got out of prison. So I decided to get an online degree, but it cost $150 and I was only making $2.50/day while on death row. So then I just decided to die instead, and that's where my story ends. Point being: Don't dork your cousin without a condom, unless she's suuuuper hawt!
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                      The opening dialogue between Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson highlights the lack of civil discourse and bullying that occurs on college campuses in North America. Sad.

https://youtu.be/USg3NR76XpQ
                      That was a really good Rogan podcast, I got halfway into it yesterday and didn't get to finish it. It's crazy how they blow air horns along with all the other crap whenever he speaks at colleges. I've yet to hear Peterson say anything offensive. It's sad they lack the critical thinking skills to debate opposing views rather than resort to childish tantrums.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                        What could happen if these snowflakes don't move on.

http://ijr.com/2017/05/868342-mizzou...race-protests/
                        Yikes. Any faculty and administrators that support Shepherd or any of these SJW types need to think long and hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          This is similar to my story! I flunked out of middle school and knocked up my cousin. I decided to enroll in tech school, but they said I couldn't until I got out of prison. So I decided to get an online degree, but it cost $150 and I was only making $2.50/day while on death row. So then I just decided to die instead, and that's where my story ends. Point being: Don't dork your cousin without a condom, unless she's suuuuper hawt!
                          This has got Cohen Brothers movie written all over it. Raising Arizona 2: Kung Wu Saga

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                            The opening dialogue between Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson highlights the lack of civil discourse and bullying that occurs on college campuses in North America. Sad.

https://youtu.be/USg3NR76XpQ
                            I watched all three hours of this podcast. Sheppard is just the right amount of crazy! Really interesting.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              I watched all three hours of this podcast. Sheppard is just the right amount of crazy! Really interesting.
                              Exactly!
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• This is a really good article from a couple years ago I just stumbled upon, and think it is relevant to the SGA issue.

How a simplistic, unworkable, and ultimately stifling conception of social justice took over the American college campus.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X