This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Of which 95% are females thinking they will have a chance to meet messieurs Ron Baker or Fred Van Vleet.
    I think you underestimate the male populations desire to meet Baker and VanVleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      I think you underestimate the male populations desire to meet Baker and VanVleet.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
        Every time I read the title of this thread, I think of a "massive growth," medical style.
        What, like a tumor, or a goiter? Maybe a Lipoma? Oh, I know. Kyphosis. Like this guy.

:anonymous:
        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Innovation engineering chair to be created with $2.5 million pledge

Team Dr. Bardo cannot be stopped. Today WSU announced a $2.5M endowment for a position to spearhead the the innovation effort at Wichita State. An endowment of this size will likely lead to a high caliber individual to fill this position.

The Sam and Rie Bloomberg Foundation provided the gift for this endowment. This is only fitting because Sam Bloomberg was an innovator and a lifelong supporter of Wichita State.

Read more:

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/edu...le2484555.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/n...a=twt&page=all

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/stories/story.asp?si=2612

Scoop: I have a hunch that there will be another announcement about a substantial gift related to the Innovations Campus in the near future.

It is so wonderful to be a Shocker! The things that are happening with our University are tremendous (almost mind boggling). I'm loving it!
          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• $1.9 million grant will help Wichita State build unprecedented high-tech lab

We're starting to get a little more granular information on Wichita State's plans for the Innovations Campus concept. Additive manufacturing and multiple robotic additive manufacturing (MRAM) are terms that will be creating some buzz. Large scale 3-D printers and robotics figure to play a big part in the research that will be done.

"The parts bought with the federal grant will help WSU become a leading university-based research center for advanced manufacturing, he said. And that means jobs for Wichita and Kansas, he said."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/art...#storylink=cpy

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/stories/story.asp?si=2613

It's a great day to be a Shocker!
            Last edited by Shocker-maniac; October 4, 2014, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Here's a piece from the WSU website that puts many of the recent developments in a nutshell:

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                Here's a piece from the WSU website that puts many of the recent developments in a nutshell:

http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/newslette...0686&AID=24033
                It's a great day to be a Shocker!

It's a great 'decade' to be a Shocker!

It's 'simply' great to be a Shocker!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  Here's a piece from the WSU website that puts many of the recent developments in a nutshell:

http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/newslette...0686&AID=24033
                  Out of state Shocker alumni may want to take note of the article in the link about KBOR giving approval to WSU's Legacy Tuition Policy. Children and grand children of out of state alumni will be able to attend WSU at the in-state tuition. That's a great deal for Shockers that want to continue the tradition for their progeny.

Every day is a great day to be a Shocker!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                    Out of state Shocker alumni may want to take note of the article in the link about KBOR giving approval to WSU's Legacy Tuition Policy. Children and grand children of out of state alumni will be able to attend WSU at the in-state tuition. That's a great deal for Shockers that want to continue the tradition for their progeny.

If anybody wants their child who lives out-of-state to get a great discount at WSU, I am happy to adopt them for only 50% of the difference between in-state/out-of-state tuition costs for a full degree! Half off your out-of-state undergraduate degree! Ain't I generous?
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• This is really great news and a vote of confidence for Dr Bardo and his initiatives. Why do I say a vote of confidence, because as late as the last Valley Championship at St Louis I had the pleasure of visiting with one of the Deans of our fine University who is also a friend and he told me that some of the WSU faculty were not on board with the direction/methods being implemented and were not real supportive of the changes. I believe with the increase in students and the record number of credit hours as well as the exposure for WSU at a national level would indicate Dr Bardo does know what he is doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        This is really great news and a vote of confidence for Dr Bardo and his initiatives. Why do I say a vote of confidence, because as late as the last Valley Championship at St Louis I had the pleasure of visiting with one of the Deans of our fine University who is also a friend and he told me that some of the WSU faculty were not on board with the direction/methods being implemented and were not real supportive of the changes. I believe with the increase in students and the record number of credit hours as well as the exposure for WSU at a national level would indicate Dr Bardo does know what he is doing.
                        My guess is that would be the case at any university for the following reasons:

1. Human Nature - Many people are resistant to change. For faculty, this is the same as a major change that we might experience at our employers. Some of us embrace the change and see opportunity, others react with fear and are negative towards the upset of the status quo.

2. Turf Wars and Sour Grapes - Not all of the faculty are going to directly benefit from this change. Some are going to feel left out and feel like the resources and attention will go to other departments that they are not a part of. The Innovations Campus is going to primarily benefit the engineering and computer programs and the business school. Someone, for example, in the English or Anthropology program may feel left out or envious. I recently spoke to someone that is involved with research at the University and much to my surprise he was quite negative about the changes at WSU. As I listened to him it was quite evident that his negativity was at least in part due to sour grapes because the research project he is involved in was not going to be a part of the Innovations Campus.

3. Principle/Values - University faculty are a diverse bunch of free thinkers ranging from conservative to liberal and even eccentric. Some will oppose the initiatives because it does not match up to what they think a University should be doing.

For those of us that see the value and benefit in what Dr Bardo and team are doing it is very important that we voice our support for them. Not only are they facing resistance from some of the faculty, but also I imagine some of the student body. Some of the students are going to be short-sighted and not see the value of these initiatives because they will not be directly benefiting from it. There have been many complaints about parking changes, student fee increases, and as the construction begins there will likely be complaints about the inconvenience related to that. Furthermore, as WSU continues to be successful I would expect that resistance from the northeast part of our State to ramp up. Many at KU, KSU, and Johnson County will not be happy to see the growth that we are experiencing.

Last edited by Shocker-maniac; October 10, 2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          This is really great news and a vote of confidence for Dr Bardo and his initiatives. Why do I say a vote of confidence, because as late as the last Valley Championship at St Louis I had the pleasure of visiting with one of the Deans of our fine University who is also a friend and he told me that some of the WSU faculty were not on board with the direction/methods being implemented and were not real supportive of the changes. I believe with the increase in students and the record number of credit hours as well as the exposure for WSU at a national level would indicate Dr Bardo does know what he is doing.
                          At one point during Bardo's first year, we had just 1 dean left from Dr. Beggs' tenure... it was quite the buzz. Losing Dr. Pendse was a huge blow, but imo showed that it was Bardo's way or the highway.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                            At one point during Bardo's first year, we had just 1 dean left from Dr. Beggs' tenure... it was quite the buzz. Losing Dr. Pendse was a huge blow, but imo showed that it was Bardo's way or the highway.
                            I'm guessing that Dr Bardo had to make it quite clear to leadership that either get on board or move on. The pace that this thing has moved is quite astounding. There was the recent quote in the Wichita Business Journal by the person that is leading the Innovation Campus at NC State and she was quite surprised that WSU was almost to the point of breaking ground for the construction of some of the buildings of the IC. Getting to this point very quickly has required a lot of work to be done in a short time. This is a result of the leadership by Dr. Bardo and the cohesion that would be needed in the leadership team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                              I'm guessing that Dr Bardo had to make it quite clear to leadership that either get on board or move on. The pace that this thing has moved is quite astounding. There was the recent quote in the Wichita Business Journal by the person that is leading the Innovation Campus at NC State and she was quite surprised that WSU was almost to the point of breaking ground for the construction of some of the buildings of the IC. Getting to this point very quickly has required a lot of work to be done in a short time. This is a result of the leadership by Dr. Bardo and the cohesion that would be needed in the leadership team.
                              I don't think we fully appreciate just what Gregg Marshall has done for this university. Without Marshall, Bardo's plan wouldn't be anywhere near the furious pace it is on.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                I don't think we fully appreciate just what Gregg Marshall has done for this university. Without Marshall, Bardo's plan wouldn't be anywhere near the furious pace it is on.
                                The thing that I find fascinating is the timing of these events. Just before the time that WSU goes to the final 4 under HCGM a man emerges as the new President of the University that has all of these ambitious plans about increasing enrollment and becoming a top tier research university. This is, in my opinion, the perfect storm (in a positive sense) for our university.

I recall initially that there was some skepticism and concerns by some posters on this fine forum about Dr Bardo's level of commitment to athletics. Well, I think we all know now that Dr Bardo sees the value of having an elite basketball program and excellent athletic program. It appears to me that there is a lot of mutual respect between HCGM and PJB.

I think some day when WSU has an enrollment of 25,000+ and it is a top 100 research university that there will be 2 statues on campus about 65 feet tall each of HCGM and PJB.

Last edited by Shocker-maniac; October 12, 2014, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X