Thunder Post-Westbrook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder Post-Westbrook

I know there are Thunder fans on this board, so maybe they can help me with this. I do not follow the NBA much, but a little more at playoff time.

Without Westbrook, the Thunder are looking very beatable losing again tonight to the Rockets. It looks like they could really use another key player/leader besides Durant.

The Thunder did not keep 23 year old SG Harden and he went to Houston where he makes almost $6 mill with 6 years left on his contract and leads the team in scoring. Harden dropped 31 on the Thunder tonight and he's scored 132 points in five playoff games.

The Thunder sign 30 year old SG Kevin Martin, who played for Houston last year, for $12 mill+ with 1 year left on his contract and he now averages almost 12 points per game less than Harden. To help the Westbrookless Thunder, Martin manages 3 points who now has scored 42 in the 5 games.

Why did the Thunder not keep Harden and add Martin??

Harden did not want to remain in the shadow of Durant and Westbrook. OKC offered him a contract that was very close to what he received from Houston, but Houston offered him a chance to be THE guy. It had nothing to do with OKC not wanting him to remain with the team, but they basically had to choose whether to keep Harden or Westbrook because it would have taken dealing Westbrook for Harden to stay. Martin doesn't even come close to filling Harden's role, and they don't really even expect him to. He can score, but he isn't the creator that Harden was. Even if OKC makes it past Houston, they'll get beat in the next round without Westbrook.

Comment

Harden was coming off the bench in OKC. He's the star in Houston. Pretty clear move for him.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker View Post
        Harden did not want to remain in the shadow of Durant and Westbrook. OKC offered him a contract that was very close to what he received from Houston, but Houston offered him a chance to be THE guy. It had nothing to do with OKC not wanting him to remain with the team, but they basically had to choose whether to keep Harden or Westbrook because it would have taken dealing Westbrook for Harden to stay. Martin doesn't even come close to filling Harden's role, and they don't really even expect him to. He can score, but he isn't the creator that Harden was. Even if OKC makes it past Houston, they'll get beat in the next round without Westbrook.
        Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
        Harden was coming off the bench in OKC. He's the star in Houston. Pretty clear move for him.
        With Harden and Westbrook playing different positions, Thunder willing to pay Martin 12 mill, Harden not really your typical bench player, and OKC probably willing to start Harden if he really wanted that, I'm surprised the Thunder didn't offer more than Houston and that Harden didn't see another Miami in the making if he'd stayed. Guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          With Harden and Westbrook playing different positions, Thunder willing to pay Martin 12 mill, Harden not really your typical bench player, and OKC probably willing to start Harden if he really wanted that, I'm surprised the Thunder didn't offer more than Houston and that Harden didn't see another Miami in the making if he'd stayed. Guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
          I don't know all the rules in regards to NBA contracts, but I believe they were offering very near the maximum that they could. I would also contend that they don't (or at least didn't) play different positions. Harden (at least while he was here) was a ball dominating scorer and assist man, just like Westbrook. There was a story written by some outlet (I'm thinking ESPN.com, but not sure) after the playoffs last year that told the story of the locker room after one of the wins against the Heat. After a WIN in the NBA finals, Harden was sulking because his role was not significant enough. Bottom line, he wanted to be THE man and I don't think OKC really had a chance to bring him back.

Comment

Working...
          X