Severe Weather 2013 - Act I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUNDAY

Still a slight risk for today. With the greatest threat being hail with a slight chance for a tornado (but not a tornado outbreak).

Tornado Probabilities

Capture.JPG

Wing Probabilities

Capture2.JPG
    Hail Probabilities
    Capture3.JPG

Comment

Monday

Monday threat may depend on what happens with Sunday storm plus there will be a strong cap that makes things uncertain of the coverage and how far south it makes.

Capture.JPG

Tuesday

Timing is suspect for this day, but for now Wichita would is on the western outlier of the severe threat.

Capture2.JPG

Comment

Am kind of surprised that there is Capping issues on Monday. Seems we really haven't had any cap busts in KS the past couple of years, though we've had busts due to other factors. Interested to see how that one plays out.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Nice supercell with an interesting appendage moved through my neck of the woods just now.....Wish I was home.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
            Am kind of surprised that there is Capping issues on Monday. Seems we really haven't had any cap busts in KS the past couple of years, though we've had busts due to other factors. Interested to see how that one plays out.
            Most days there is a cap and since they really are not expecting a major outbreak I don't think you would consider it a cap bust regardless of what happens. I think the real question is how much coverage there will be due to uncertainties about heating/forcing and moisture return to break whatever cap there is.

Comment

Threat for Wichita area seems low. They are expecting to be not much heating and less forcing than yesterday. The event looks to be more of Tuesday event for Wichita with the frontal passage.

With the liklely isolated nature of the storms today, the t-storms that do get started will likely be similiar to the long track supercells that started near Wichita yesterday and travel clear into Missouri and the ones who traveled from NW kansas into central ks yesterday. Biggest threat is still likely large hail but could produce a tornado

Monday

Tornado - Wind - Hail Threat
              Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG
              Last edited by SB Shock; April 8, 2013, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Tuesday Threat Prediction from SPC

Capture4.JPG

Comment

Well, we'll see how this goes today. I'm headed to Pratt here in a bit with some other Atmo students. Not feeling too good, but it's not my car and I'll only have to pay around 10 dollars on gas. I guess that's how I'll justify taking a risk like this on a day like today. If anything can get going it's more than likely going to produce, if not well Sunshine on my shoulders.

Comment

Well, we'll see how this goes today. I'm headed to Pratt here in a bit with some other Atmo students. Not feeling too good, but it's not my car and I'll only have to pay around 10 dollars on gas. I guess that's how I'll justify taking a risk like this on a day like today. If anything can get going it's more than likely going to produce, if not well Sunshine on my shoulders.
                    were you with a group called I think "OhioMeso"?

Comment

Today threat has evolved to this point into a Moderate threat (due to tornado threat in OK). Wichita is on the back edge of the hail threat. Models are struggling with timing, but it looks like evening. The bigger threat maybe from the sleet/freezing rain after frontal passage.

Category Risk

Capture.JPG

Tornado Risk
                      Capture1.JPG

Hail Risk

Capture2.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        were you with a group called I think "OhioMeso"?
                        Nah that wasn't me, we don't have a group name.

At least we can get some rain today in KS, at least we should.

Comment

I just found this funny (or at least I hope is funny in like it not going to happen) - Here is the NAM predicting 2-3 inches of snow for Wichita.

Capture_snow.JPG

Comment

Nah that wasn't me, we don't have a group name.

At least we can get some rain today in KS, at least we should.
                            I was just checking out some of the chaser cams and saw this group sitting out near St. John area yesterday waiting for the cap to break. They were pretty funny to listen to.

Comment

somewhat "east of turnpike"

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                                I just found this funny (or at least I hope is funny in like it not going to happen) - Here is the NAM predicting 2-3 inches of snow for Wichita.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]740[/ATTACH]
                                ICT AFD

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
                                NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WICHITA KS
                                652 AM CDT TUE APR 9 2013

TONIGHT:
                                FRONT WILL MOVE RAPIDLY WITH LINE OF CONVECTION ACROSS THE FLINT
                                HILLS AND SOUTHEAST KS DURING THE EVENING. MEANWHILE VERY COLD AIR
                                AND GUSTY WINDS WILL SPREAD A WINTRY MIX IN THE WAKE OF THE FRONT.
                                BASED ON SOUNDINGS...APPEARS THAT RAIN WILL TRANSITION TO LIGHT
                                FREEZING RAIN THEN SOME MIX OF SLEET/FREEZING RAIN AND POSSIBLY LIGHT
                                SNOW...DEPENDING ON DEPTH OF COLD AIR BELOW WARM NOSE. WITH QPF OF
                                0.10 TO 0.20 FORECAST BY BOTH 0000 UTC ECMWF AND 0600 UTC NAM IN
                                THE 06-12 UTC PERIOD...MAY NEED TO HOIST WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY
                                FOR I-35 CORRIDOR. THE STRONG WINDS WILL RAMP UP EFFECTS OF ANY
                                GLAZE. GIVEN THE EXTREMELY SHARP GRADIENTS AND UNCERTAINTY ON
                                TIMING...WILL HOLD OFF FOR NOW AND LET DAY SHIFT GET ANOTHER LOOK
                                AT ENSEMBLE DATA...12Z MODELS WITH BETTER SAMPLING AROUND UPPER
                                LOW AND BETTER TIMING ON UPPER LOW/FRONT.

Comment

Working...
                                X