Surpise News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Royals release Moscosco - I've also heard unconfimred reports of Hochevar being moved to the pen...

because thats the best place for...
    A. A pitcher who cant pitch from the stretch
    B. A pitcher who cant pitch well at all.
    C. All of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
      C. All of the above.
      It's a step in the right direction if true. At least they're starting to admit that he's not worth of a starting spot. Perhaps they think long relief where he only has to go thru the lineup once, maybe twice will work better. I'd be happier if they just parted ways, but this is a step towards that....maybe. Now if they'd just give Smith a stronger look along with Mendoza.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

C. All of the above.
        You forgot: B2. A pitcher making $4+ million/yr.

If he gets cut later this month, they'll only owe him 1/4th of his salary.

Comment

It's a step in the right direction if true. At least they're starting to admit that he's not worth of a starting spot. Perhaps they think long relief where he only has to go thru the lineup once, maybe twice will work better. I'd be happier if they just parted ways, but this is a step towards that....maybe. Now if they'd just give Smith a stronger look along with Mendoza.
          Normally I would agree with you... Typically you send a pitcher to the pen because you believe in his stuff and you're working out the kinks, coming back from injury or new to the level. Think Wade Davis last year with the Rays or Grienke with the Royals back in 08?

Hoch is definitely an enigma, when he's on hes ON! But most the time he's below average. At this point the best thing for the organization to do is to cut bait with him and wish him well. (which would save us $3 Million as Royal pointed out above) There are too many guys in the Minors (and the bullpen for that matter) that can produce more efficiently and overall statistically than Luke Hochevar.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here we're all on the same page. But the only thing moving Hoch to pen is going to do for the Royals is make them worse in the long run.

Comment

Normally I would agree with you... Typically you send a pitcher to the pen because you believe in his stuff and you're working out the kinks, coming back from injury or new to the level. Think Wade Davis last year with the Rays or Grienke with the Royals back in 08?

Hoch is definitely an enigma, when he's on hes ON! But most the time he's below average. At this point the best thing for the organization to do is to cut bait with him and wish him well. (which would save us $3 Million as Royal pointed out above) There are too many guys in the Minors (and the bullpen for that matter) that can produce more efficiently and overall statistically than Luke Hochevar.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here we're all on the same page. But the only thing moving Hoch to pen is going to do for the Royals is make them worse in the long run.
            I don't disagree. We do have a lot of good young arms that are a hell of a lot cheaper. And I'm holding out hope that this is just the first phase and they'll release him in time to save the money.

The move is official
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I don't disagree. We do have a lot of good young arms that are a hell of a lot cheaper. And I'm holding out hope that this is just the first phase and they'll release him in time to save the money.

The move is official
              With no salary cap I could care less if they save money. Maybe in another role he can find his stuff. He can go all out for an inning or two.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                With no salary cap I could care less if they save money. Maybe in another role he can find his stuff. He can go all out for an inning or two.
                Valid point.. its not my money what do I care what they spend.

But then I remember I am a fan of the Kansas City Royals owned by David Glass and I live in a constant spiral of Wal-Martanomics. KC CANT afford to pay a pitcher who cant pitch from the stretch and put him into a role where he will have to pitch from that position close to about 95% of the time. And thats being generous.

If he hadnt gone to arbitration this past year and was on his old rookie contract then eff it whatever.

The Royals can afford to spend more we all know it but its one thing to spend to spend and then their is spending wisely. Giving Jose Guillen 3/$36 was the equivalent of wiping your ass with $100 bills..

In what world is allowing Hoch a roster spot a good baseball move let alone good business?

Comment

If they use him that way, you are right. It depends how much they have him come in during the middle of the inning. I'm not sure that will be his role but we'll see. I would imagine that they would usually bring him in at the beginning of an inning or when the wheels fall completely off and the pitcher has nothing and a blow out is in session for longer relief.

Comment

If you look at Hochevar, his effectiveness drops off significantly after the first time through the lineup. Maybe he will end up being a Dave Righetti.

Comment

Santana delivers sharp outing as Royals roll - Nice stat line. Lough continues to make a push for a spot that doesn't exist.

Battle For The Bump 2.0 - Three Minus One Equals Four? - Nice read with spring numbers. Chen and Mendoza are still probably the favorites. Smith has done nothing to not be considered and is a lefty. I doubt Ventura wins the job, but if they're giving him a good look going forward, it could at least tell us he'll be in Omaha and if somebody struggles, could get a shot. I have to admit that if they don't choose Chen, I feel better about our prospects and that the leadership really is going to do what they can to win this year. That's why I would choose Smith. A young left who's showed promise and has improved with the little experience they've given him. I can't blame them if they send Ventura to AAA due to him not even pitching 30 innings above A ball. But if he continues to throw like he has been, it's hard to say he doesn't deserve a chance.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Hochevar: It's A Relief. - Rany has some good points about the good and the bad of all of this.

Friday Notes - Hochevar, the 5th starter, 2B and Gordon.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Hochevar breezes through first relief outing - I don't know what to think. Would somebody trade for him if he proved he could pitch effectively in relief?

Joseph bringing some serious heat in Royals camp - He's been very impressive so far.

Chen looking at bright side after rough outing - Only Chen could find it...

Shields pitches 7.2 innings in 6 inning minor league game - It's all fun.

Mendoza boosts case for rotation spot - Anybody but Chen at this point. Which basically means Mendoza or Smith.

Five For Friday.

Musical Chairs And Royals Relievers - I'm going with Joseph for the last spot, but I'm not in charge.

The Royals Backup Backstop Battle - I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong choice here.

Morning Coffee: The 2013 Royals Crystal Ball - Fun read. Possible.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

A bunch of guys were optioned or sent to minor-league camp today, including Will Smith and Yordano Ventura. I really thought Smith had a shot as 5th starter.

Comment

I almost get the feeling that they view Smith like they do Gio. Except Smith has had some success. And if they go with Chen because he's a lefty, I'll be pissed. Smith has looked much better than Bruce this spring. You can make a strong case for Mendoza as well.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Not By The Hair Of My Chenny-Chen-Chen - ........

Battle For Right Field: Why Lough Deserves His Chance - It's an argument
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X