X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mante Te'o girlfriend hoax

9 baffling questions in the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax

By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News
    College football star Manti Te'o says he was the victim of a cruel hoax, an elaborate scheme in which he fell for an imaginary girlfriend named Lennay Kekua and mourned her when she died of leukemia.

But he still has a lot of explaining to do.

Why is this news? I don't follow college football that closely, so I don't understand the controversy.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

That's why it's in the Off-topic forum rather than the Around The NCAA forum.

Comment

I think you misinterpreted my question. I don't care what forum it's in. I am trying to understand the issue. A football player thought he was in an online relationship and got duped. Or he lied about it and that didn't happen. Why does anybody care? I feel like I am missing a big piece of the story. The article above gives no background at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          I think you misinterpreted my question. I don't care what forum it's in. I am trying to understand the issue. A football player thought he was in an online relationship and got duped. Or he lied about it and that didn't happen. Why does anybody care? I feel like I am missing a big piece of the story. The article above gives no background at all.
          I think because a big deal was made out of it and he publicly talked about her "death" and whatnot. There's also the fact that if the truth doesn't come completely out before the Draft, it could hurt him. And some feel it may have helped his case during the Heisman. I don't fully understand it all and have juts been doing some reading recently. There's a guy for the AZ Cardinals who claims to know the girl in question and be friends of the family. So there's a lot of confusion still out there. Was Te'o in on the hoax? If so, it's going to hurt him come draft time as his character has been one of the biggest strengths.

Then there's the theory that he's gay and this was all a cover and when he started getting bigger he panicked and tried to end it and it all spiraled out of control. I'm not overly interested in it, not compared to many, but it's semi interesting.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I think because a big deal was made out of it and he publicly talked about her "death" and whatnot. There's also the fact that if the truth doesn't come completely out before the Draft, it could hurt him. And some feel it may have helped his case during the Heisman. I don't fully understand it all and have juts been doing some reading recently. There's a guy for the AZ Cardinals who claims to know the girl in question and be friends of the family. So there's a lot of confusion still out there. Was Te'o in on the hoax? If so, it's going to hurt him come draft time as his character has been one of the biggest strengths.

Then there's the theory that he's gay and this was all a cover and when he started getting bigger he panicked and tried to end it and it all spiraled out of control. I'm not overly interested in it, not compared to many, but it's semi interesting.
            Ah, this helps. For one, I didn't even know he was a Heisman trophy candidate, so that explains why he's in the spotlight.

Comment

The only reason I started this thread in the first place was because I heard something about it this mornng on KGSO. I was waiting for them to talk about the Shocker's victory, but I guess this was a bigger headline. I figured if this trumps the Shocker game then there must be something to it.

Comment

Here are some interesting thoughts on it from the CSN board. I first heard about this last night during the Shocker game when I checked Twitter. I wasn't completely sure what they were talking about until I got on the CSN board this morning and started reading that thread and then caught a little on SportsCenter when I was home for lunch.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Is this the one who died in the kiln explosion? My God! I just talked to her last week. She was going to make a pot for me.............

Comment

Fawn Libewitcz Rest In Peace...
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I think the "gay" story is the most likely.

Overall this is just so weird

But at least the meme's are great. .

Comment

Just saw at lunch that the girl whose picture was used said she had nothing to do with it. ND is staying quiet until Te'o speaks.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Meh. This isn't news. He didn't rape a girl, get a DUI, cheat on exams, take money from an agent, did not beat up a woman, or brandish a firearm at a stripclub. Does the media think being gullible is newsworthy these days?

Comment

I dated Jennifer Aniston over the Internet. I swear. You gotta believe me. I have pictures. We even had chat room sex and stuff. I eventually had to dump her though because she kept wanting to meet me and I'm just not into that.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                              Meh. This isn't news. He didn't rape a girl, get a DUI, cheat on exams, take money from an agent, did not beat up a woman, or brandish a firearm at a stripclub. Does the media think being gullible is newsworthy these days?
                              You are making the assumption he was duped. Many feel he was in a it. That would take it to a whole new level.

Comment

Working...
                              X