Actor Charles Durning American hero dead at 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actor Charles Durning American hero dead at 89

He was among the first wave of U.S. soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his Army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.
    In later years, he refused to discuss the military service for which he was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts.
    "Too many bad memories," he told an interviewer in 1997. "I don't want you to see me crying."

:mask:

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Great character actor. Maybe best known of late for his part as Governor Pappy O'Daniel in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?".

Also played in one of my favorite NCIS. His part was even more interesting given his WWII background.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Great character actor. Maybe best known of late for his part as Governor Pappy O'Daniel in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?".

Also played in one of my favorite NCIS. His part was even more interesting given his WWII background.
        I am an NCIS addict, and the Charles Durning episode is hands-down, by far my favorite. The scene where he reveals his Congressional Medal of Honor when the MP's are about to take him into custody and seeing those young men snap to attention is very poignant, especially considering Durning's heroism in real life.

--'85.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Yep, know that episode well. What a wonderful, wonderful actor.

Comment

Working...
          X