Surround Sound question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surround Sound question

Speakers in the ceiling or on the wall? Which is better?

Not an audiophile, but I believe rear speakers should be high on the back wall corners. A mid speaker in the front, just over or under the TV, side front speakers (depending on style) on the floor or wall. Not sure you'd get the effect you would want in the ceiling, but I'm old school.

Comment

I should have added the question is for my basement which was a drop-down ceiling.

Comment

I'll be more than happy to assist ABC. In-wall speakers have improved over the past 5 years. When they initially came out, due to their low profile, sound fidelity was a big issue and quite frankly, not very good. They were only good if you were more concerned with the aesthetics of the room and looking to save space rather than what the sound was like. But as technology has improved, so has these types of speakers. However, the traditional box speakers are still vastly better and if you don't care about the aesthetics of the room or space that box speakers will take up, they are still the best choice.

Now, assuming you will be running a home surround system with the basic 5.1 channel set up (a left and right front speaker opposite of the screen, a center channel speaker, a left and right rear speaker and a separate sub-woofer) and you choose to go with in-wall/recessed ceiling speakers I highly recommend you purchase a separate sub-woofer for the bass notes. In-wall speakers, although improved, are still limited to the bass note simply because of the low profile of the speaker.

A 5.1 set up has speakers at ear level, a 7.1 set-up adds speakers to the sides of the room and at different heights and a 10.1 set-up, well, that will cost too much money and not practical unless you have a small theater in a multi-million dollar home. The four most important speakers are the left and right front, the center channel (which is mainly responsible for voice and center surround effects) and the separate subwoofer. The two rear speakers are solely used for surround effects, but is awesome.

Lastly, your stereo receiver running these speakers is very important as well. Now, you don't have to get THX certified equipment, but make sure it is DTS audio capable. Most are these days, in my opinion, DTS sounds better than Dolby Digital.

Comment

To me, the ONLY way to go is directional in ceiling if doing ceiling. The round ones just arent worth the money IMHO. Definitive Technology makes the best set I have heard that isn't exceptionally expensive. The will run you about $550 each for the front and $450 each for the rears.

The bigger key to in ceiling speakers than a sub is the center channel. It has to project enough to blend the TV with the sound from the Ceiling. DefTech has the Ten which is what I would recommend. The Eight was about as low as I would go.

If looking on wall, the XTR50's are a GREAT set and can be used for left/right/center and are thin as most TV's with low profile mount. Those will run you about $600 each. Pair with almost any decent sub and rear speakers for a sleek experience.

Don't know what kind of budget you are working with, or how picky you are about your sound. PM me if you would like some more specifics.

Comment

Very helpful KC and Downtown.

I think I will go with box. I have Klipsch in my TV room upstairs and they sound great. The set up in my basement is just different wtih more exposed areas. I'
            l'll either get a stand for one of the rear spearks or find a small end table.

Comment

Working...
            X