Hostess is closing its business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostess is closing its business

Adieu, Twinkies, at least for now. Hostess Brands said Friday it has asked a court's OK to liquidate the company, spelling the possible end for the iconic, yellow, cream-filled delight.

The move shuts down one of the nation's oldest and largest producers of baked goods. Founded in 1930, it produces such well-known brands, aside from Twinkies, as Ding-Dongs, Ho Ho's, Sno Balls and Donettes, not to mention Wonder bread, which the company says is the best-selling white bread in the United States.

In a statement, Hostess said its bakery operations have been suspended at all plants and that it would lay off most of its 18,500 workers to focus on selling its assets. It said it has filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court seeking permission to close its business and sell its assets, including 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers.
    It looks like some people are trying to sell boxes of Twinkles on Ebay for anywhere from $5 to $500.

Have fun if you like, and I know some of you will, but SHOXMVC loves his Ding Dongs!!!

Comment

That is sad about ding dongs

Comment

Wonder Bread...Gonzo.

I heard they had a plan to cut wages 8% to stay in business but the union said nyet. 0% vs 92%....?

Hostess hasn't been a viable company for some time now, but still a decision like that seems hard to understand.

If your skill set involves inserting a rod into something warm, soft and delicious, while releasing a white, sticky and gooey substance, and then repeating this activity over and over.....you probably should be somewhat satisfied with whatever compensation package the company presents....no?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          That is sad about ding dongs
          I was thinking, "what next"...is the world coming to an end?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
            I was thinking, "what next"...is the world coming to an end?
            Clearly, the answer to that is yes. Someone will buy the brands and the recipes. They will make limited edition Twinkies and Ding Dongs at selected times of the year and be able to move them at very nice pricing points (for them).

However, word is that Obama may bail out Hostess, but Moochelle will insist that the cream filling in the Twinkies will be mandated to be creamed asparagus or creamed broccoli. Mmmmm! That should do the trick.

Comment

BTW, bailout I mean Obama will confiscate the company from it's rightful owners and give it to the unions in direct violation of U.S. Bankruptcy laws. After all the precedent for this has been set.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Wonder Bread...Gonzo.

I heard they had a plan to cut wages 8% to stay in business but the union said nyet. 0% vs 92%....?

Hostess hasn't been a viable company for some time now, but still a decision like that seems hard to understand.

If your skill set involves inserting a rod into something warm, soft and delicious, while releasing a white, sticky and gooey substance, and then repeating this activity over and over.....you probably should be somewhat satisfied with whatever compensation package the company presents....no?
                Oh boy.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Wonder Bread...Gonzo.

You had me at "inserting a rod," but we digress...

Comment

I've never smoked our did drugs...I drink some...mostly to take the edge off Cold's neurotic posts; Ding Dongs were my vice man!!!

Comment

Another example of union greed - Those people dont know how lucky they are to have jobs in this economy

Comment

The company will probably open back up but without the unions. Not all unions are bad, this one was horrible however.

Comment

Wonder Bread...Gonzo.

Think they got a severance package full of twinkies?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Think they got a severance package full of twinkies?
                            depending on the state, some of the union people who went on strike and now were layed off won't be eligible for unemployment. Also from what I read, the bigger union actually worked with the management and struck a deal, it was the smaller union that refused to do any deal at all and just walked off the job and struck.

Comment

I have friends that used to work at the plant here in emporia, and they said dolly Madison treated them terrible. They also worked at the Walmart in Emporia, so it's not like they didn't know what terrible was.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X