2024 College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 College Football

The new football playoff system has me a shade more interested in college football this season.

Texas, even though missing a couple of their top running backs, looks super. And they're recruiting great for the future. Moving to the SEC doesn't appear to be anything but good for them.

Nebraska may be back with Matt Rhule leading the way. That 5* QB appears to be the real deal as well.

KSU looked vulnerable at Tulane, but they looked super last night handling a good Arizona team. I'm glad DE made his way back to Kansas. Did KSU let Will Howard go? Risky, but Avery Johnson looks fantastic.

KU has only defeated Lindenwood. Glorious.

OU is going to have their hands full with Tulane today. A plethora of injuries and still re-building from LR leaving has the Sooners in deep in the SEC and today. I do not understand why they ran off Gabriel for Jackson Arnold. That **** has gotta stop.

Notre Dame loses at home to Northern Illinois. Touchdown Jesus, indeed. A group of 5 team (UNLV, Nevada, NIU etc) could cause someone a problem in the playoff.

What in the hell is wrong with Florida State? GTech beat them in Ireland then Boston College flat out whipped them. Now, today, Memphis had them down 20-3 after taking the 2nd half kickoff and marching the ball straight down the field to extend their lead. FSU got a long pass to set up a TD but down 11, decided to go for 2 to cut the lead to 9? Why? They didn't get it and still trail by 11. To MEMPHIS. AT HOME and the stadium is empty by Nole standards.

I'll just never understand some decisions. Arkansas State is playing at Michigan today. Once in a lifetime chance for those guys. And yes, it's little more than a chance. But when you've got a good shot, take it for crying out loud! ASU took the opening kick and drove down the field, looking good doing it. At like 3rd and 3 around the 20 yard line, they ran and came up just short. 4th and less than 1. 3 points isn't going to win you the game. Your guys will get stoked if you can get 6. Go for it! Nope, kick a FG, and miss it. Could have put some doubt in a struggling Wolverine team with a new coach. Take a chance, coach.

South Carolina has some dudes. Don't know how good they'll end up being, but sheesh they have a bunch of athletic, BIG men out there.

Outside of Memphis (thus far) bit of a rough day for the American Conference…albeit a few faced some really tough opponents. (Tulsa, Tulane, UTSA, North Texas). UAB ran with Arkansas for a while, and not too surprisingly East Carolina lost to App State.

Comment

I caught the KSU Vs AZ game on Friday and was impressed by KSU. For only being 19, Avery played with great poise. I felt like I was still watching the same Avery that I watched at Maize.
      K-State's defense is fundamentally sound. Bill Snyder has to be very proud watching from the box in the stadium named after him.

​​​​​
      Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Not a KSU fan, but it’s hard not to like Chris Klieman… he’s a good one and fits their culture perfectly…
        ​​​​​​.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

UNLV QB will sit out and transfer because, as he tweets, the bag isn't as heavy as he was told.

1000% promise you that ain't how this went down.

1)His agent had feelers out and nibbles started coming in.
          2)Rebs start 3-0 and nibbles become bites. His buddies at other schools, at the behest of their coaches, start reaching out with "hey man, we got guys that want to pay you".
          3)Sluka's agent tells him what's out there now.
          4)He goes to coach and says "Hey, you said they'd take care of me, I'm getting $X offers, whattya got?
          5)Coach says we got a contract, I'll see but don't count on it.
          6)Sluka blames school to try and save his ass

It's laughable and a hope for terrible outcomes to ALL (athletes, coaches, admins, schools and fans) those that abuse the system.

Comment

I would like to see UNLV kick him out of school. I'm sure they can't do that. But they should be able to. At a minimum, he gets the Johnny Coy. Times 10.

No swag, no unis, no access to workout facilities, tutors, study halls, free grades, hookers masquerading as spirit squad members, not so much as a half drunk bottle of powerade.

Comment

You might be right, but there have been reports that a number of players have never received what they were promised, so there could be at least some validity to it.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                https://x.com/MatthewSluka/status/1838799758577799607

UNLV QB will sit out and transfer because, as he tweets, the bag isn't as heavy as he was told.

1000% promise you that ain't how this went down.

1)His agent had feelers out and nibbles started coming in.
                2)Rebs start 3-0 and nibbles become bites. His buddies at other schools, at the behest of their coaches, start reaching out with "hey man, we got guys that want to pay you".
                3)Sluka's agent tells him what's out there now.
                4)He goes to coach and says "Hey, you said they'd take care of me, I'm getting $X offers, whattya got?
                5)Coach says we got a contract, I'll see but don't count on it.
                6)Sluka blames school to try and save his ass

It's laughable and a hope for terrible outcomes to ALL (athletes, coaches, admins, schools and fans) those that abuse the system.
                Article I read said prior to transferring to UNLV he was promised $100k. So far has only received $3k for moving expenses.

Sluka’s father Bob Sluka, told ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg, that his son’s agents agreed to an NIL deal with UNLV in February, but never received payments despite requests and never asked for any adjustments to the original agreement.

“Former UNLV QB Matthew Sluka’s NIL representation, Marcus Cromartie of Equity Sports, told ESPN that Sluka was verbally promised a minimum of $100,000 from a UNLV assistant coach for transferring there. None of that money was paid, per Cormartie,” ESPN’s Pete Thamel tweeted. The only payment Sluka received was $3,000 for relocation to Las Vegas.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Well, there is no doubt that these universities (especially P5) are greedy. We’ve all seen Oklahoma (while doing well) sue the NCAA in the beginning 50 some years ago over their money shares which would come at the expense of other universities. Other greedy universities followed very soon. And we’ve all witnessed greedy coaches who were very well off, demand more or they would leave. Now, we are seeing a greedy QB who averaged less than 100 yds passing per game say that he was worth more than he was getting from the university, and he would quit if not paid more. But we all know that the education of players is why they play the games, and the players are doing it for the education.

My question is who taught him that kind of “Greed”?

The whole college athletic system “sucks”.

Comment

I would like to see UNLV kick him out of school. I'm sure they can't do that. But they should be able to. At a minimum, he gets the Johnny Coy. Times 10.

No swag, no unis, no access to workout facilities, tutors, study halls, free grades, hookers masquerading as spirit squad members, not so much as a half drunk bottle of powerade.
                    Heyyyyy! I LIKE this post of yours. Nice to see some real balls for a change. Speaking (personal) truth to power.

When you're getting likes from me, you aren't getting them from anybody else. Very elite company sir...

Comment

Completely agree. And your use of "he gets the Johnny Coy" is top-notch here.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Why do I have this sneakin’ suspicion that someone will end up at the bottom of Lake Mead?

#HeyRocco #Vegas

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                          Why do I have this sneakin’ suspicion that someone will end up at the bottom of Lake Mead?

#HeyRocco #Vegas
                          Check Google Earth for new holes in the desert a couple hundred yards down the road.

I give him fifty-fifty.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

There was high drama during the week when UNLV’s quarterback Matthew Sluka said he was stepping down and would redshirt the rest of the season because the school had only paid out $3,000 after allegedly agreeing to a NIL commitment to pay him $100,000. The rebels went with Hajj-Malik Williams who promptly tossed three touchdowns and led the undefeated Rebels to a 59-14 win over Fresno State. UNLV may be asking Sluka for a refund.​

Comment

Working...
                              X