Great Comet of 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Comet of 2024

Comet C/2023/A3 Tsuchinshan-Atlas is still alive and has a chance to rival Hale-Bopp of 1997. If survives the sun is expected to be naked eye viewing. Look for it at the end of September, start of October in the east, early morning near sunrise.

Comet C/2023/A3 is alive and has tripled in brightness this week. Peak viewing will be between September 26 through 29. Look for it in the eastern sky before sunrise. It may brighten enough that it can be seen during daylight.

Comment

Not a great comet for us today - could not see.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        Not a great comet for us today - could not see.
        Is it straight east, northeast, southeast? Any idea?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

So far, it is not a great comet; Southern Hemisphere has had a better chance of imaging. Better chances coming up in a week at dusk. Unfortunately as it get higher in the sky at night, the dimmer it will become.

Comet 2024.jpg

Comment

IMG_2780.jpg IMG_2786.jpg Not a “great comet” but is viewable in the west after sunset.

Comment

Just saw it, and it was spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Just saw it, and it was spectacular.
                I want to see it. What do I need to do?

Comment

I found it tonight at 7:45 using binoculars and triangulating using SB’s map posted up thread. Minimize artificial light looking slightly north of west maybe 30 degrees up from the horizon.

Worth the effort!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I want to see it. What do I need to do?
                    Use averted vision to find it first. Once you see it with your naked eye the first time, you will be able to see it. It will look like a faint fuzzy. Then, use binocs. If you have an iPhone, especially an iPhone with night vision, you can take a 5—to 30-second exposure. Put the phone on a tripod for best results. Tonight's shot.

Comet 2024.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post
                      I found it tonight at 7:45 using binoculars and triangulating using SB’s map posted up thread. Minimize artificial light looking slightly north of west maybe 30 degrees up from the horizon.

Worth the effort!
                      Should I still be able to see it right now? Can I see it tomorrow same time?

Comment

The best I could get tonight with my older Samsung phone. But also got Venus in the frame.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You can see it every night through all of October. It starts at around 7:45 p.m. and gets better as it gets darker. The optimal viewing time, in my opinion, is 8:15 p.m. It is moving higher in the sky each night, and maybe getting a little dimmer.

Comment

I could still spot it at 8pm but next time at 8:30 it was all dark.

Comment

Working...
                            X