The U On The Move: Fairmount/WU/WSU History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U On The Move: Fairmount/WU/WSU History

It was mentioned elsewhere about having a thread for stuff like this, so I'll start with this aerial pic from 1954. The little pic you see first is from one of our old promos, "The U On The Move". The 1954 pic shows then WU Fieldhouse and Duerksen FAC under construction, and of course streets running through campus. This pic can be found online along with many others at the WSU Special Collections Digital Archives: https://libraries.wichita.edu/sc/digital

image.png

image.png
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Can someone give me a legitimate lesson on how to post pictures from my IPhone to this site? The interface between Shockernet and my device is not very compatible. I rarely am on here on my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Can someone give me a legitimate lesson on how to post pictures from my IPhone to this site? The interface between Shockernet and my device is not very compatible. I rarely am on here on my desktop.
      Iphones are a challenge for me also, so I post photos from my laptop using a mouse. I'll try to post your photos this afternoon.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

1952 WU at the Forum

Last edited by WstateU; May 29, 2024, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Iphones are a challenge for me also, so I post photos from my laptop using a mouse. I'll try to post your photos this afternoon.
                  Thanks! You are hereby dubbed the Shockernet Minister of Information.

I know my way around an Iphone...it's the KungWu interface experience I grapple with.

In any event, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    These are plasterers in Fiske Hall circa 1906....or Pogo's fraternity, not sure which.

Comment

Roe Indian Institute-Fairmount Campus.jpg This is the Roe or American Indian Institute (estimated 1920) that was located on campus. The former institute property in Wichita went by the wayside over the years until only the dormitory building remained. It was demolished in the 1990s and replaced with the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house, now standing at the corner of 21st and Bluff. The Cloud family's name lives on in the community in Henry Roe Cloud Elementary School on 25th Street, built in 1953

The Roe Indian Institute, later renamed the American Indian Institute, was the first all-Indian high school in the United States. The school was established by Henry Roe Cloud (Wohnaxilayhungah) (c.1884–1950) of the Ho-Chunk Nation of Nebraska. Roe Cloud believed that education was necessary for Native Americans to succeed in American society, so he created the Roe Indian Institute in Wichita. Designed as a college preparatory school for Native Americans, it was in operation from 1915 to 1935 and, at the time, was the only college preparatory school ran by and for Native Americans.

Comment

n buckles and padded pants are the first Shocker hoopsters. As the 1906 Fairmount College yearbook reports: “The game of Basket Ball has become very popular and is established as a college sport at Fairmount.”

Comment

Posted previously... probably in the Ross McBurney thread.

Sunflower, March 04, 1927 (wichita.edu)

image.png​​

Comment

image.png​“All-American”
                            Last edited by WstateU; May 29, 2024, 10:49 PM.

Comment

image.png​​

Comment

Working...
                              X