Best Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Films

I'm leaving the topic title vague because a number of these lists come out from time to time and I don't want to create a new thread every time I come across one.

Today it's all about the 80s.

Dirty Dancing, Back to the Future and E.T. Voted Best 80s Films: Poll Reveals Top 40 Movies From Big-Hair Days

A poll of 2,000 adults found 43 percent believing that filmmaking has never been as good as it was in the 1980s— the era of big hair and leg warmers.

Dirty Dancing, Back to the Future, and E.T. were named the best 80s movies of the decade, according to the survey.

And there’s some cultural heft behind their top choices. The 1987 classic Dirty Dancing starring Patrick Swayze, for instance, won 12 awards after its release, including an Academy Award for Best Original Song, (I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life.

Top Gun, Die Hard, The Terminator, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back also appeared among the top ten best films named in the survey conducted by OnePoll.

Who were named the most iconic 80s stars? Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Hanks, and Tom Cruise.

The most influential directors named in the poll were—drum roll—Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Ridley Scott.
    TOP 40 BEST FILMS FROM THE 80s

1. Dirty Dancing (1987) – Directed by Emile Ardolino Not my cup of tea. It's alright.
    2. Back to the Future (1985) – Directed by Robert Zemeckis A personal favorite of mine
    3. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) – Directed by Steven Spielberg One of the most overrated movies from the 80s for me. It was alright.
    4. Top Gun (1986) – Directed by Tony Scott Not a big Cruise fan, but this is a classic.
    5. Die Hard (1988) – Directed by John McTiernan John is one of the most iconic characters of the 80s. And this may be my favorite Christmas movie.
    6. The Terminator (1984) – Directed by James Cameron An absolute classic, but the 2nd one is better.
    7. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) – Directed by Steven Spielberg Can't go wrong with Indy.
    8. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) – Directed by Irvin Kershner Absolutely the best Star Wars movie ever made.
    9. Ghostbusters (1984) – Directed by Ivan Reitman This movie never gets old. What a cast!
    10. Aliens (1986) – Directed by James Cameron Great flick, but not in my top 10.
    11. The Goonies (1985) – Directed by Richard Donner A classic I never get tired of watching. Really good cast in hindsight.
    12. The Shining (1980) – Directed by Stanley Kubrick Understandable. I don't have an attachment to it, but I get it.
    13. Rain Man (1988) – Directed by Barry Levinson Dustin Hoffman was absolutely brilliant. But when isn't he?
    14. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) – Directed by Steven Spielberg Indy again. I'm good with this. I like this one better than Raiders personally.
    15. Airplane! (1980) – Directed by Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, Jerry Zucker One of the funniest spoofs ever. I've always wanted to learn Jive.
    16. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983) – Directed by George Lucas Is there really anything more iconic than Star Wars from the 80s in the movie world?
    17. The Blues Brothers (1980) – Directed by John Landis Not gonna lie, I still haven't seen this one.
    18. Blade Runner (1982) – Directed by Ridley Scott This is another one that has slipped through the cracks and I've yet to see.
    19. Fatal Attraction (1987) – Directed by Adrian Lyne Haven't seen this is ages. Can't really comment.
    20. Gremlins (1984) – Directed by Joe Dante Another one of my favorite Christmas movies.
    21. The Karate Kid (1984) – Directed by John G. Avildsen Another true staple of the 80s. Miagi was the man!
    22. Batman (1989) – Directed by Tim Burton Not my favorite Batman movie ever, but the best of this grouping.
    23. Beetlejuice (1988) – Directed by Tim Burton Surprised to see this here as it seems generally underrated. I love it.
    24. The Little Mermaid (1989) – Directed by Ron Clements, John Musker I get it. Quality animation fun. Didn't realize it wasn't a 90s movie.
    25. Big (1988) – Directed by Penny Marshall A truly fun movie if you don't overthink the relationship.
    26. The Breakfast Club (1985) – Directed by John Hughes Really surprised to see a number of the movies rated higher than this. Absolute staple of the 80s.
    27. When Harry Met Sally (1989) – Directed by Rob Reiner I don't think I've seen this one.
    28. Stand by Me (1986) – Directed by Rob Reiner Fantastically done movie with good casting. Still enjoy watching this from time to time.
    29. Scarface (1983) – Directed by Brian De Palma Good flick. Not on my regular rewatch list though.
    30. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) – Directed by John Hughes How can this not be on here? Such a fun movie.
    31. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) – Directed by Wes Craven First movie to give me nightmares. Why my parents let me see this at six years old I'll never understand.
    32. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) – Directed by Robert Zemeckis First movie I saw in theaters. Believe it was a birthday party for the twin girls in the kindergarten class. Love it.
    33. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) – Directed by Martin Brest Back when Eddie was fun. Still enjoy this one quite a bit.
    34. The Untouchables (1987) – Directed by Brian De Palma Another one I haven't seen.
    35. The Color Purple (1985) – Directed by Steven Spielberg Don't recall seeing this one.
    36. Flashdance (1983) – Directed by Adrian Lyne I definitely haven't seen this. Not sure what it is.
    37. Lethal Weapon (1987) – Directed by Richard Donner A personal favorite. Best buddy cop film ever? Lots of fun and even the sequels are top notch.
    38. Full Metal Jacket (1987) – Directed by Stanley Kubrick One of the best first halves to a film ever. The rest is okay. Definitely a classic.
    39. Platoon (1986) – Directed by Oliver Stone I haven't seen this since sometime in the 90s. Can't really comment. Should rewatch.
    40. The Princess Bride (1987) – Directed by Rob Reiner Way too ****ing low on this list. One of the best movies ever in my opinion. I still watch this movie multiple times a year. Maybe month.

I'm trying to think of other 80s movies that I might consider for top 40.

The Lost Boys
    Dead Poets Society
    Spaceballs
    Field of Dreams
    ​​Weird Science
    Major League
    Stripes
    Glory
    Better Off Dead
    National Lampoons Vacation
    Hoosiers
    Big Trouble in Little China (Personal favorite)
    Revenge of the Nerds
    Red Dawn
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Heathers
    Caddyshack
    Bull Durham

I'm sure there are others that a case may be made for. Some more so than others. That was just a list of personal favorites from the 80s off the top of my head.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Eh, any "best of" 80's films list that doesn't include The Outsiders is a little sus.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Eh, any "best of" 80's films list that doesn't include The Outsiders is a little sus.
      Think I saw that for the first time about 10 years ago. Not bad from what I can recall.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If you have 5 ratings (Rolling Stone, Rotten Tomatoes, etc.), you will have 5 different (possibly by a lot) lists.

For myself, I have three types of rating movies. 1. Guessing what most people would think. 2. What I enjoyed the most at the time and 3. Those movies I would still take time to rewatch time and time again. Favorite genres (such as Sports/Westerns) come in to play on that one as well as favorite actors/actress.

I noticed that Amadeus was #1 on IMDB ratings. I really liked it at the time (usually not my cup of tea), but it's been a long time since I've seen it and would like to see it again. Now that movie is about as far out of my usual wheelhouse as you can get.

On Rotten Tomatoes top 100, it had 1. Back to the Future, 2.E T, 3. Ghostbusters. Really? Now I did enjoy all three at the time and I have watched Back to the Future a few times more, E T a couple of times, and maybe all the way through Ghostbusters a second time (not that I didn't enjoy it the first time, just not something I want to see over and over). I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've watched Hoosiers and Major League.

Oh, yes (for whatever reason), I'm a Star Wars person as well, regardless how bad I thought the acting was in the first one, I still will watch it.

Comment

Blues Brothers, Untouchables, and Harry met Sally all three should be top ten on that list.

Comment

Rain Man is not high enough.

i don’t think I can respect a list that omits Glory.

To a lesser extent, Field of Dreams.

Both incredible stories with ridiculously great casts.

But clearly the most egregious omission…….

The GREATEST movie of all time

Road House

Comment

Oh yeah, Road House! And Rocky IV was good.

Comment

Dead Poet Society was super good.

Comment

Major League, Baseketball, Star Trek 4, Rocky, but I’m more of a TV guy
                  Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Rain Man is not high enough.

i don’t think I can respect a list that omits Glory.

To a lesser extent, Field of Dreams.

Both incredible stories with ridiculously great casts.

But clearly the most egregious omission…….

The GREATEST movie of all time

Road House

I’m surprised you omitted a certain movie that we just discussed the other day.

FLETCH

”Mooooooon River!”
                    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                      Major League, Baseketball, Star Trek 4, Rocky, but I’m more of a TV guy
                      Baseketball was '98
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Baseketball was '98
                        I don’t know why but I thought it was WAY earlier than that, just has that 80s vibe
                        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

nm. Wrong thread

Comment

Sixteen Candles

Comment

Not a movie or film but somebody did a great job piecing this 5 miniute video together.

Old Movie Stars Dance to Uptown Funk

Comment

Working...
                              X