Fuel tax, electric vehicles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tax, electric vehicles.

Why not add a tax to the each electric charging port, just like on each fuel pump?

That seems like a simple solution to me.
    An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Perhaps putting solar panels on the roof of all EV's would really make them green.

Comment

So many energy related issues can be fixed quickly with the reelection of DJT

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
        So many energy related issues can be fixed quickly with the reelection of DJT
        That would have zero impact on what Kansas is talking about doing internally.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          Perhaps putting solar panels on the roof of all EV's would really make them green.
          You and JJ are going to have to be separated at the baseball games if you're going to keep coming up with these kind of solutions.

We need problems, not solutions, to keep this government running inefficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That would have zero impact on what Kansas is talking about doing internally.
            What is good for the country will always be good for Kansas. Agree with most of your posts but not this one. Can you elaborate more?

Comment

Add a tax? We have two charging stations downtown that are FREE. Mandated by our government. Can't add a tax to a payment that is not made.

Comment

What is good for the country will always be good for Kansas. Agree with most of your posts but not this one. Can you elaborate more?
                Whatever is going on in DC, good or bad, has no impact on how politicians here are looking at a state tax that they feel isn't doing enough. There will be more EVs on the road regardless of who is destroying DC. Topeka wants more money and think they're losing out on tons because of EVs. Even though most people probably pay less than $100 a year in fuel tax. The simple fact is, Topeka wants more money. Topeka is run by Republicans. Trump being elected and doing whatever the hell he wants on the federal level isn't going to change anything about the fuel tax and how much or little Topeka is getting from it.

If Topeka feels that EV owners need to pay something since they're not using fuel, they can find a way to tax EVs. Instead, they talking about doing away with the fuel tax and just adding a tax for everyone with a car, or finding a way to invade our lives even more and charge us by the mile.

What would electing Trump do to change any of that? Would his election make people drive more and therefore increase how much they're paying in fuel tax? Would his election magically make the State of Kansas spend their funds better and stop wasting money on stupid **** so they could have more money for things that might actually be important?

Biden being in office has absolutely nothing to do with Topeka and the state fuel tax and the money generated. Trump being in office would have absolutely nothing to do with Topeka and the state fuel tax and the money generated.

I'd love to hear your reasoning for why who ever the president is would have some impact on internal politics here in Kansas and the gas tax specifically.

I get that there are some things that go on in DC that can have an impact locally. But locally, most of the impact on our lives comes from city/county/state. The gas tax is all about internal generation and DC isn't impacting it. I know my driving habits haven't changed at all based on who is in DC. Which means my impact on the gas tax hasn't changed either, outside of buying a motorcycle that gets better MPG than my car, which gets pretty decent MPG as well. But neither the car nor the bike were purchased because of DC. I've always cared about fuel efficiency as I've always been a bit of a saver anyway.

Are you saying that people will travel more, and therefore buy much more in gas and pay more in taxes if Trump is elected? Do you think Biden being in office is keeping people from traveling at all? Do you think electing Trump will lead to fewer EVs on the road and more gas powered vehicles? People who like EVs are going to buy them no matter who is in office. Those who hate EVs aren't going to buy one no matter who is in office. The EV grid is going to expand no matter who is in office. The company I work for does some work in that market and we're constantly getting more work both in KS and outside of it.

I get that more EVs mean less in gas tax generation, but I still don't see how the president, whoever it may be, has any impact on that.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Drill baby drill will lower gas / energy prices again which is good for business' and consumers alike.........also national security. EV's cannot stand alone. The demand and infrastructure just isn't there to support them AND climate change is a giant hoax created by elites to bleed the country's wealth.

Comment

Drill baby drill will lower gas / energy prices again which is good for business' and consumers alike.........also national security. EV's cannot stand alone. The demand and infrastructure just isn't there to support them AND climate change is a giant hoax created by elites to bleed the country's wealth.
                    I still don't see how any of that effects the gas tax here in Kansas. Are people really not driving because of gas prices? Everyone I know still drives just as much as they used to, they just ***** about prices. Climate change on any level has no effect on the gas tax. More fuel efficient cars and EVs have an impact because fewer gallons of gas get purchased than maybe used to. I know lower gas prices aren't going to make me drive more. EV usage is still going to grow regardless of gas prices as more and more people like them. And as they get better efficiency and charge times, which will happen in the next handful of years or so, more will go that direction. And most don't give a **** about climate change. At least those I know. They simply like that the cars are cleaner which isn't a bad thing at all. Air pollution exists. Hell, even Wichita deals with it at times and did under Trump as well as Biden and Obama.

I'm not following how anything you pointed out will effect the gas tax and somehow generate more gas tax revenue. Unless you believe that there are thousands upon thousands of Kansans that do the most minimalistic travel they can because of the gas prices and that under Trump they'd start driving a lot more. I don't personally know anyone like that. I think anyone who isn't using a car much because of prices isn't really going to use much more if prices come down some. Which means Topeka still has an issue in their eyes.

But drilling isn't going to generate much more in the way of gas tax. I don't disagree that lower prices are good for all. I just don't think lower prices are going to mean a lot more people driving a lot more miles in Kansas. Hell, if gas prices keep me from traveling, that has more impact on states outside of Kansas as those are where I'd be vacationing. I suppose you could think tourism could pick up in Kansas if gas prices were better, but we're not a very tourist friendly state.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I am simply arguing the bigger picture and not the gas tax in Kansas. Sorry to have put you through that lengthy explanation.

Comment

Here are the small percentages of people who are purchasing EV's. Charge Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents, younger adults and people living in urban areas a tax. Then continue to charge me and other people who buy the traditional fuels from fuel pumps, the traditional highway user tax. It's not totally fair, but more fair than charging everyone a tax whether they purchase a car or not,.

Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents, younger adults, and people living in urban areas are among the most likely to say they would consider purchasing an EV. The 9% of U.S. adults who currently own a hybrid or electric vehicle are also particularly likely to consider an EV for their next purchase. A majority of this group (68%) says they are very or somewhat likely to seriously consider it.

Among those who would consider purchasing an EV, about seven-in-ten say helping the environment (72%) and saving money on gas (70%) are major reasons why. A small share (12%) cite keeping up with the latest trends in vehicles as a major reason.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...tric-vehicles/
                        Last edited by Shockm; March 18, 2024, 10:53 AM.

Comment

And this is why I live where I do….
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                            Here are the small percentages of people who are purchasing EV's. Charge Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents, younger adults and people living in urban areas a tax. Then continue to charge me and other people who buy the traditional fuels from fuel pumps, the traditional highway user tax. It's not totally fair, but more fair than charging everyone a tax whether they purchase a car or not,.

Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents, younger adults, and people living in urban areas are among the most likely to say they would consider purchasing an EV. The 9% of U.S. adults who currently own a hybrid or electric vehicle are also particularly likely to consider an EV for their next purchase. A majority of this group (68%) says they are very or somewhat likely to seriously consider it.

Among those who would consider purchasing an EV, about seven-in-ten say helping the environment (72%) and saving money on gas (70%) are major reasons why. A small share (12%) cite keeping up with the latest trends in vehicles as a major reason.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...tric-vehicles/
                            You did not mention that EV's generate more wear and tear on the roadways than ICE vehicles due ot their additional weight. But if it saves humanity from climate change I guess it's worth it. Now if we can just figure out how to save humanity from humanity we might have a fighting chance. Unfortunatley, at the rate of the mental illness pandemic is spreading that is unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

You did not mention that EV's generate more wear and tear on the roadways than ICE vehicles due ot their additional weight. But if it saves humanity from climate change I guess it's worth it. Now if we can just figure out how to save humanity from humanity we might have a fighting chance. Unfortunatley, at the rate of the mental illness pandemic is spreading that is unlikely.
                              Another problem with EVs is that guardrails are pretty much useless against their extra 1 to 2 thousand pounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X