PETA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETA

I think we can all agree that PETA is ridiculous. They may have, at one time, been doing good in regards to treating animals with some level of respect and ending certain abusive practices. But they've become such a joke over the years that they sometimes pop up in stories that make me laugh, or shake my head, or both. I loved their continuing battle with Maryland seafood restaurant Jimmy's. Mostly because the people at Jimmy's were great.

This time, PETA enters Wichita news.

KSN - PETA targets Wichita company over carousels

Riding a carousel can bring back favorite memories of childhood — the distinctive music, the dizzying sensations, and the intricately painted horses and other animals.

Would a carousel ride be as memorable if the animals were replaced with other colorful creations?

(Courtesy Chance Rides)

On Tuesday, the group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals announced it wants carousels to no longer have animal designs. PETA is directing its concerns to a Wichita company known for its beautiful carousels.

Chance Rides is the largest manufacturer of amusement rides in the country.

PETA says it sent a letter to the company’s president on Tuesday asking him to end the production and sale of “animal-themed carousels that normalize the use of animals as conveyances and amusements.”

The group suggests replacing animals with vehicles, such as cars, airplanes, spaceships, and bulldozers, or with whimsical designs like rainbows, shooting stars, and brooms.
    I'm sure Chance will eventually respond, and if I come across that I'll share it here.

I love nature and love animals. I'm definitely against abusing them and giving them as much respect and dignity as possible, within reason. I'm still just fine with some of them being a source of food and nourishment. They should be treated well while alive and killed in some humane way, but lets not get ridiculous with it.

I'm all for education and enlightening people about how these beings live. The good, the bad, and the ugly behind them all. That's one thing I love about a good zoo. They teach and they preserve and in some cases they save animals from extinction and even reintroduce them into the wild. It's a beautiful thing.

But carousel animals are bad? Give me a break.

I'll add that PETA probably still deserves some credit, despite their insane demands like above. They do still do some good in exposing abuses around the world. They just lose their focus and go after dumb **** like this and it really takes away from the good that they do still do.
    Last edited by SubGod22; February 7, 2024, 09:50 AM.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry
Working...
X