Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB 2024

Why not get it started.

KAKE - Royals agree with SS Bobby Witt Jr. on record deal that could keep him in KC for 14 seasons

The Kansas City Royals and shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. agreed Monday to the longest contract in franchise history, an 11-year pact that includes three years of team options that could keep the rising star with the ballclub through the 2037 season.

The financial terms were not immediately available. The team has planned a Tuesday news conference to discuss the deal.

The 23-year-old Witt became the first player in Royals history to enter the 30-30 club last year, when he hit 30 homers and stole 49 bases. The only other American League shortstop to accomplish the feat by Witt's age was Alex Rodriguez in 1998.

Witt's breakthrough season, which resulted in him landing seventh in AL MVP voting, came after he hit 20 homers and stole 30 bases as a rookie. No player in big league history has hit 50 homers and stole 79 bases through his first two seasons.

“From the day we drafted him we felt confident Bobby would become one of our game’s brightest stars and biggest talents,” Royals general manager J.J. Picollo said. “These last two seasons have been confirmation of that talent, and proof that he’s an even better teammate. We know he wants to win here for our fans as much as we do.”
    Now lets hope that they surround him with talent and he's not just the prized piece of a 100 loss team year after year.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Guaranteed $288.7M

Potential $377M

The contract will be re-worked eventually, but as it stands right now it's the 3rd largest contract in MLB history from what I've seen. Only behind Shohei Ohtani ($700M) and Mike Trout ($425M).

His contract is more than the top 4 contracts in Royals history combined. It's exciting news for Royals fans, but it has to be followed up with shaping a team around him that can compete for championships.

Cynical me thinks this is just an outward investment towards trying to get the citizenry to commit to funding a new downtown/North KC ballpark.
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

In other Royals news...

WBJ - KC Royals name stadium location choice as early voting looms for sales tax extrension

The Kansas City Royals on Tuesday confirmed plans to pursue a new downtown baseball stadium in the East Crossroads.

The team's site centers on, and would demolish, The Kansas City Star's former printing press at 1601 McGee St.

The stadium would be bounded west to east by Grand Boulevard and Oak Street, and north to south by Interstate 670 and 17th Street. Adjacent team and corporate offices, hotel, residential and entertainment development would be built along the stadium's eastern edge to Locust Street. Team visuals also show two additional eastern blocks of the South Loop Link, from Grand to Oak.
      It would be near T-Mobile Arena. Really not where I want to go when visiting the KC area, but this isn't being built for me.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I think it is a pretty cool area. Very close to the Cross Roads district, which I like much more than Power and Light. To me P&L is just a big real estate development, and Cross Roads growth has been much more organic with lots of locally owned shops, bars, restaurants, breweries and even a distillery or two.

Comment

Man, it feels as if the Royals have already lost 100 games.

Hope this gets turned around soon.

Comment

I’ll just put this here…

Interesting baseball history

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
              Man, it feels as if the Royals have already lost 100 games.

Hope this gets turned around soon.
              Good news
              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

Good news
                Yeah, my reverse psychology post actually worked this time…haha.

Comment

I'm refusing to get too excited about things. I've been well conditioned as a Royals fan to just expect the worst until there's much more evidence to support otherwise.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Royals Throwback…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      I'm refusing to get too excited about things. I've been well conditioned as a Royals fan to just expect the worst until there's much more evidence to support otherwise.
                      They are quite clearly better than last year. I'm just not sure how much better. The starting rotation is solid, with an emerging ace. The offense has been productive. The bullpen, though, has been problematic.

It's too early to tell how good the teams they've played so far really are. Except for the White Sux. They're bad. Most of Houston's starting rotation is injured.

But it's encouraging they are whipping bad teams and competing with the others.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

They are quite clearly better than last year. I'm just not sure how much better. The starting rotation is solid, with an emerging ace. The offense has been productive. The bullpen, though, has been problematic.

It's too early to tell how good the teams they've played so far really are. Except for the White Sux. They're bad. Most of Houston's starting rotation is injured.

But it's encouraging they are whipping bad teams and competing with the others.
                        They are so far accomplishing the "try not to suck" mantra!
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                        X