Taco Tico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taco Tico

Back in the day when there were still Monkees (by the way there are three still alive and I heard they were going to do a tour) There was a Taco Tico right next to the Cedars. At closing time you could buy some of the best (and greasy) (pronounced with a Z if you are from somewhere further south than Kansas) Tacos by the bag and then continue drinking at the Cedars or the Flicker. The quality could have been enhanced by the amount of beer that was consumed before actually eating them but all I remember was they were great. As a side to this some of you may remember my wife was diagnosed with 4th stage cancer 9 months ago (non smoking lung and brain) and had started radiation on the brain cancer. Chemo started thereafter and several of you responded (thank you) with well wishes and information. We just met with her oncologist and he said that all of her cancer had shrunk to almost insignificant levels. He said normally 4th stage cancer has spread to additional parts of the body but in her case just the lung, one nodule above her lung and her brain. She has another scan scheduled in three weeks and another mri in a couple of weeks. He said after the next chemo scheduled in three weeks he will look at radiating the small remnants of cancer on her lung and the nodule and then just monitor her health with scans and no more chemo. So it looks like all of your good wishes and prayers have been well received and things look very good at this point in time. She is eagerly looking forward to the new basketball season. Last year when Shocker Nation was worried about if Marshal would return and she wondered if she would return it looks like both will be at Koch arena to start the new season.

Fantastic news. Given everything going on in the world right now it was great to read something like this. Best wishes to you and your family!

Comment

God bless you and your wife. I'm thrilled to hear that things have moved in the right direction and pray that things continue to move that way and she'll be cancer free before you know it!
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That is absolutely wonderful news, Pogo.

It definitely can happen. My wife has been off her cancer treatment since last November and has been cancer free for 11 months now.

Every four months she has to get several scans and those are rather emotional times until we get the results back. But so far, so good.

Her Oncologist calls her "His miracle patient."

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          Back in the day when there were still Monkees (by the way there are three still alive and I heard they were going to do a tour) There was a Taco Tico right next to the Cedars. At closing time you could buy some of the best (and greasy) (pronounced with a Z if you are from somewhere further south than Kansas) Tacos by the bag and then continue drinking at the Cedars or the Flicker. The quality could have been enhanced by the amount of beer that was consumed before actually eating them but all I remember was they were great. As a side to this some of you may remember my wife was diagnosed with 4th stage cancer 9 months ago (non smoking lung and brain) and had started radiation on the brain cancer. Chemo started thereafter and several of you responded (thank you) with well wishes and information. We just met with her oncologist and he said that all of her cancer had shrunk to almost insignificant levels. He said normally 4th stage cancer has spread to additional parts of the body but in her case just the lung, one nodule above her lung and her brain. She has another scan scheduled in three weeks and another mri in a couple of weeks. He said after the next chemo scheduled in three weeks he will look at radiating the small remnants of cancer on her lung and the nodule and then just monitor her health with scans and no more chemo. So it looks like all of your good wishes and prayers have been well received and things look very good at this point in time. She is eagerly looking forward to the new basketball season. Last year when Shocker Nation was worried about if Marshal would return and she wondered if she would return it looks like both will be at Koch arena to start the new season.
          Thank God!

I don't know what got you from greasy ass tacos to the Miss' health update but I am thankful you got there! We'll all continue to say prayers on the West side of Wichita, because we all know the West Wichitans are God's favorite and that's where the real mojo is coming from. ;)

Now back to Taco Tico. Is there anybody here that hasn't puked up at least one Taco Tico taco in their life? There are a myriad reasons for barfing up a Taco Tico taco and @pogo: has sort of eluded to just one of them.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Thank God!

I don't know what got you from greasy ass tacos to the Miss' health update but I am thankful you got there! We'll all continue to say prayers on the West side of Wichita, because we all know the West Wichitans are God's favorite and that's where the real mojo is coming from. ;)

Now back to Taco Tico. Is there anybody here that hasn't puked up at least one Taco Tico taco in their life? There are a myriad reasons for barfing up a Taco Tico taco and @pogo: has sort of eluded to just one of them.
            I've had hundreds of Taco Tico taco's, and have yet to puke. (knock on wood)

Comment

I've never had that issue with Taco Tico. Taco Bell on the other hand, twice. Never again
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
                I've had hundreds of Taco Tico taco's, and have yet to puke. (knock on wood)
                Wow, hang in there! The mayor won't hand you the key to Wichita until you've spewed a Tico taco.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  I've never had that issue with Taco Tico. Taco Bell on the other hand, twice. Never again
                  See what I mean!? You're just younger that's all. Taco Bell is the younger generations Taco Tico, so I guess I have to admit that Taco Bell barfing counts for entry into the club.

Comment

When I was at WSU there was a place on the west side of Oliver a little north of Central (as I recall) and we found out when they cleaned out their soft serve machine. We'd show up at closing time and got all the free soft serve ice cream left in the machine.

Then there was "have a buddy at a pizza place". Unclaimed call-in pizzas were thrown out. If you had a buddy at a pizza place, you could always get a call when they were going to throw pizzas out.

Pogo, I'm thrilled to hear about your wife. We're starting to get a decent number of cancer survivors connected to ShockerNet. Cancer is often deadly, but is no longer the death sentence that many of us associate with "the C word".
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Glad to hear it Pogo. Make that next next trip to San Antone and I'll buy you two cold ones - one for last time and this time.

And can I just say that as someone who lives in a town where the fast food (Taco Cabana) is better than Mexican restaurants in Wichita, just the mention of Taco Tico is making me nauseous. What about Taco Pronto or Estalita's on west Central back in the day?

Not as bad as the oatmeal at the Cook County slammer though. 50 Interweb points for anyone that can place that movie quote...

Comment

The Blues Brothers.
                        In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                        X