Why not WSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not WSU?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm still curious about some history:

1) Why does the largest city in Kansas have the university with the third most national prestige? Why did WSU not become the flagship university for the state--Lawrence and Manhattan wouldn't even be on the map if it wasn't for the universities, whereas that's not the case for Wichita
    2) Why was WSU never invited into the Big 8?
    3) I've heard of somehow KU somehow "screwing over" WSU. Could someone give me a history lesson on this?
    4) Why hasn't Koch money been more of an influence on WSU's national standing? (Outside of CKA)

I think that questions 1 thru 3 can be answered in one canned response. KU and Topeka and NE Kansas through the years have worked to minimize the influence of South Central Kansas. Wichita has always been a feeder school to ku where the sons and daughters were sent to be educated away from home. There was a certain stigma associated with "staying home" and going to Hillside High which when I went there in the 70's was an accurate moniker. That is changing and I believe in the next five years WSU will surpass ku in enrollment. As Wichita and it's Urban University grows other parts of the state and the nation will come to realize it's impact and importance. There used to be a poster on this board, Fred Marrs? I believe and was an attorney and had all kinds of conspiracy theories about what has gone on concerning questions 1-3 and most were entertaining if not completely true but held a grain of truth. As for question 4 Koch provides support to WSU in several less publicized ways such as gifts to the new School of Business. Koch will never be the T Boone Pickens of WSU at least under it's current leadership. It wuld be nice but it kind of goes against the tried and true business course it follows. Anyway these are only my thoughts and opinions
    Last edited by pogo; December 28, 2023, 09:16 PM.

Comment

More later, but both KU and KSU were established in the time frame of 1863-65. Wichita wasn't incorporated as a city until 1870. So there's that.

Ku was going to be in Manhattan, Emporia or Lawrence. Lawrence residents (mostly one) ponied up some land and cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
        I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm still curious about some history:

1) Why does the largest city in Kansas have the university with the third most national prestige? Why did WSU not become the flagship university for the state--Lawrence and Manhattan wouldn't even be on the map if it wasn't for the universities, whereas that's not the case for Wichita
        2) Why was WSU never invited into the Big 8?
        3) I've heard of somehow KU somehow "screwing over" WSU. Could someone give me a history lesson on this?
        4) Why hasn't Koch money been more of an influence on WSU's national standing? (Outside of CKA)

It’s been recommended on Shockernet before but “Uncloistered Halls” by Craig Miner is an excellent read on WSU history

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          It’s been recommended on Shockernet before but “Uncloistered Halls” by Craig Miner is an excellent read on WSU history
          President Harry Corbin of the University of Wichita in the 1950's quoted Joseph Hudnot of Harvard that: "A city is made by the form and content of society. That form and content must be expressed by the institutions which are the functions of society...I think of the urban university as the first among such institutions. That life which the cathedral gave to the medieval city, that beauty which the palace gave to the city of the Renaissance, the university will give to the city of tomorrow. It will form, with museums of art and science, libraries, concert halls, theaters and schools, a great cultural heart out of which will flow the currents which inform the life of the city with dignity and meaning. A training school for the civil vocations, its uncloistered halls shall be crowded with citizens."

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
            Apparently publicly available by WSU:

Uncloistered Halls, by Craig Miner
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Thanks for the information, all! Will have to check out that publication.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                Thanks for the information, all! Will have to check out that publication.
                It’s a big book, long read. 100% history-which isn’t all bad, but it’s history. If you are looking for opinions or commentary, I don’t remember seeing much if any in the book. It does go into decent detail on how WSU became a state school and the challenges they had to get there.

Comment

This takes us to the Centennial but I hope someone is working on what happened after this and the remarkable growth of The largest Urban University in Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post

It’s a big book, long read. 100% history-which isn’t all bad, but it’s history. If you are looking for opinions or commentary, I don’t remember seeing much if any in the book. It does go into decent detail on how WSU became a state school and the challenges they had to get there.
                    Reading it now and yes it is going to be a long read. I bought the book online, used, but in excellent condition and it was a signed copy. Wonder if I can get 3 hrs of history credit in continuing education. I have yet to find any opinions but the narrative so far is giving me my own opinion and that is how in the world did we get to this place at this point in time. One of the things mentioned in the book so far is that the University shares a similar feeling with Wichita the city, in that there seems to be a feeling of inferiority about the city and things associated with it. I thought that was an interesting observation by the author. For whatever reason or reasons perhaps we are our own harshest critics about the city and its University. I really hate it when I read something and it makes me actually think. Go Shocks

Comment

Pogo,

Enjoy the read. For me, it was a little “wordy” at times, but I’m not a big reader. You should be right on the credit hours. It also should also come with tickets to the front row of the student section at the basketball games…hahaha.

Enjoy! Be interested to hear what you think when you are done.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

Reading it now and yes it is going to be a long read. I bought the book online, used, but in excellent condition and it was a signed copy. Wonder if I can get 3 hrs of history credit in continuing education. I have yet to find any opinions but the narrative so far is giving me my own opinion and that is how in the world did we get to this place at this point in time. One of the things mentioned in the book so far is that the University shares a similar feeling with Wichita the city, in that there seems to be a feeling of inferiority about the city and things associated with it. I thought that was an interesting observation by the author. For whatever reason or reasons perhaps we are our own harshest critics about the city and its University. I really hate it when I read something and it makes me actually think. Go Shocks
                        The part of the book dealing with the 60s and Dr Rhatigan’s role is phenomenal. Also there are lots of pictures so Marines should like that.

Comment

We do like pictures but only big ones that we can color.

Comment

Working...
                          X