Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Losing Credibility?

ESPN Journalistic Standards: The Emperor No Longer Wears Clothes
    For quite some time, ESPN has been the know-all, tell-all leader in sports media. But times change and companies rise and fall. Because of missteps and competition, it looks like the king might have a rebellion on his hands.

Disney created a beast in ESPN. It grew to incredible heights very quickly and in the process nearly monopolized sports news and entertainment. Look at its accomplishments: it defined the highlights show with "SportsCenter," created the ESPYs and found a niche for extreme sports with the "X-Games." Its reach and business decisions helped it determine the fates of many sports and college conferences.

Also read: 'Monday Night Football' To Remain on ESPN Through 2021

But ESPN isn't what it once was. It's become a bloated bastion of hyperbole. Instead of giving us the highlights and sound bites, the network is shoveling hours of mindless dreck into our TVs. Needless to say the journalistic standards have suffered.

Also read: Deadspin Spy Infiltrates ESPN Meeting

The decline in news quality can be directly attributed to conspicuous conflicts of interest. ESPN covers sports leagues journalistically but also pays them billions of dollars in rights fees to broadcast their games. As ESPN has won the rights to more sports, it has started covering athletes as if they were promotional ideas. By playing things both ways it has become a shell of its former self.

Let's look at the crimes ESPN has perpetrated against the American sport-loving public:
    I've seen a lot of people over at CSN criticize ESPN in the past but had never really seen anyone actually do any sort of report on it until now. You may be able to argue some of the points, but even I have to admit that I've watched less and less of ESPN over the years for some of the reasons that are pointed out in the article. But this is what happens when there's no competition. I really do hope that CBSSN or NBCSN or both can move forward and provide some sort of competition. It won't be over night, but that's the only way that things will change at all. Fox seems to be happy with what they're doing so I don't see them trying to be a national contender and stick with their more regional stuff.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

idk, when ESPN was the only game in town what choice did you have to make. Of course you are not going to watch as much of ESPN because you have more choices, especially those stations that actually cover your region better than ESPN. I make my choices not by network, but by who is showing those things I want to see.

Comment

Ruh-ruh!

"DAH-NUH-NUH"

ESPN continues to lose subscribers at an alarming rate

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I wonder how that decline compares with other cable channels. Is cord-cutting the primary culprit?

Comment

Working...
        X