Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scholarship at WSU

Thoughts?

I don't know what the academic qualifications might be, but you better not like chicken.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Well the article doesn't say it's an academic scholarship. It says it's an endowed scholarship. So I think it's a scholarship for men with a large twig and berries? As an afterthought doesn't that discriminate against the lesbians?

Kidding aside, I don't know why this would be controversial? It's private people spending money how they see fit, which is what it's all about isn't it?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Help me out here @Kung Wu: , an endowed scholarship doesn't go through the University at all, so they can choose whomever they want to be the recipient? And they can choose to end it at anytime, again if they so choose?

Just trying to understand the difference.
      Last edited by WuDrWu; August 16, 2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        It's private people spending money how they see fit, which is what it's all about isn't it?
        Absolutely. I was just curious how the selection process worked, if it was handed out by the University, but I think my understanding was way off base.

Comment

Well, I'm against discrimination....all discrimination. That being said if I started a scholarship for white heterosexual men only I can only imagine what the blowback would be? I would probably be labeled as a white supremist homophobic pig.

It's their money and they can do what they want with it but at some point we all become human beings and awards based on sexual preference, color or sex only divide us. Just my opinion.

Comment

That is amazing. Good day to be a Shocker.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Gay people giving their money to support only gay students. Seems wrong. I dunno.

Comment

Help me out here @Kung Wu: , an endowed scholarship doesn't go through the University at all, so they can choose whomever they want to be the recipient? And they can choose to end it at anytime, again if they so choose?

Just trying to understand the difference.
                Its been a long while since I was involved with one but there was tremendous flexibility in setting one up at the time. You could pretty much carve it out any way you wanted.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Gay people giving their money to support only gay students. Seems wrong. I dunno.
                  how do they prove your gay if you apply for it?

Michael-Oscar-Kiss-famous-kisses-766359_471_357.jpg

Comment

I've never been a fan of giving scholarships based on race or gender or whatever. If you deserve a scholarship or think you do, compete for it like everything else in life. Nothing should be given to you because of what you are or aren't. Just my opinion.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It's for gays and supporters of gay rights. You don't have to be gay to get it, just support equality no matter what your sexual preference is. So basically the only way you wouldn't qualify for this scholarship would be if you opposed equality for gay rights.

Comment

I wonder what gay rights are and how they differ from the rights of everyone else.

Comment

I wonder what gay rights are and how they differ from the rights of everyone else.
                          You could go to a county courthouse and ask if gays can get married. That would be a good difference.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                            You could go to a county courthouse and ask if gays can get married. That would be a good difference.
                            Gays can get married in any state and any county or parish. There is no law anywhere keeping gay men from marrying a woman. That goes for gay or straight men alike. There are restrictions, however, precluding men from marrying men.

Boston Legal had a great episode on this very subject.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

All of this aside, I have no problem with this scholarship. The more endowed scholarships at every school the better. Or should I have said the more the merrier.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X