No announcement yet.

Drought Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even a vegetarian should worry about food costs. Ethanol costs us billions, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Even a vegetarian should worry about food costs. Ethanol costs us billions, btw.
      And ruins older engines.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

New models have Isaac bringing significant rain to Kansas. Of course, all east of the turnpike.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
          New models have Isaac bringing significant rain to Kansas. Of course, all east of the turnpike.
          I have several funny retorts to this, but I don't want to type too much on my phone. Maybe tomorrow.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

It's amusing seeing some people say they *only* got an inch of rain.

We got about 5 inches on the west side. Of course, since this wasn't taken at the official Goatville observation location, it doesn't mean anything...

I wonder when the water restrictions will start kicking in for this epic drought.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

People complain about how dry it is, saying if they could just get a little bit of rain, they would take anything. Then when a good storm rolls through, they complain that they didn't get enough.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

I really don't give a damn about anybody's lawn, but this is the worst drought in 80 years, so it is kinda serious........

Comment

I really don't give a damn about anybody's lawn, but this is the worst drought in 80 years, so it is kinda serious........
                  @pinstripers:, please understand that I do feel for your situation. If you are referring to the "worst drought" in 80 years as for the nation, you may very well be right. I'm not going to look to validate it. However, if you're refering to Kansas, I posted on one of DoFo's other many similar threads that that is not the case....not close.

"Last year's precipitation total of around 26" wasn't that near the top 10 driest which would have to go under 20" to reach. Even if we get 1/3 of average for the remaining months, we'll go over 21" this year. So far, the 2 year total is at 44".

Compare to 1953 of 19.11" and 1954 of 14.53" for a total of 33.64. Don't know the 1955 amount, but 1956 was 12.73". Those three years total 46.37" which we have a fair chance of beating in two years. Lowest annual precipitation, 1966 at 12.15". As late as 1988, 17.07" and 1990, 19.71".

But yes, this is one of the driest short term periods. In 2008, we had the most precipitation in the last 120+ years of 53.82"."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    It's amusing seeing some people say they *only* got an inch of rain.

We got about 5 inches on the west side. Of course, since this wasn't taken at the official Goatville observation location, it doesn't mean anything...

I wonder when the water restrictions will start kicking in for this epic drought.
                    I got around 5 east of Newton. Its still really dry below the surface. The clay will take quite a bit of moisture to get back to normal.

Comment

I agree. Ethanol is horrible for food costs. At least alot of the ethanol plants are shutting down for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                        I agree. Ethanol is horrible for food costs. At least alot of the ethanol plants are shutting down for a while.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Well, the rain chances fell through, .02" doesn't count. No significant rain in the forecast. We ARE still in a bad drought.

Comment

Not here in emporia. We got torrential rainfall for about 30 minutes and about three hours of solid rain. It was nice
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                              Not here in emporia. We got torrential rainfall for about 30 minutes and about three hours of solid rain. It was nice
                              Yah, in the nw side of Wichita we got about .30. Not bad. I bet the east side of the city got almost an inch.

I guess God must like the important people and hate the poor souls in Goatville who have overblown things. That's prolly why they don't get any rain.

What happened to the exceptional heat watch? Did we ever come close to 2011's records? I was told we were on pace to smash those records.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Got several ponds that are either completely dry, or very close to it. The little showers recently may jumpstart a few of the grass varieties. Out here, there is no one still living who can remember it being this bad. Irrigation may play a part in that, but most streams are not running at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X