Drought Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drought Emergency

Drought conditions continue to worsen across all of the US, while Kansas's exceptional drought rose from 35% to 63%.

While there is no drought breaking rain in the 8-10 forecast, conditions are expected to worsen across Kansas. Expect D4 (Exceptional) to eventually have 100% over Kansas.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

So what do u do in a drought emergency? Haul a big iceberg to the middle of the state? Outlaw baths? Only allow watering of yards with Gatorade?

I wonder what they did in theist epic drought there ever was - dust bowl days?

Comment

Interested to know how Kansas farmers will adapt to the ongoing drought if this is the new norm - May get enough moisture in the fall to sustain winter wheat but it will take alot of rain to grow corn next year.

Plus the oil boom in southern Kansas requires alot of water that could be used in irrigation

Comment

I almost wondered why we needed yet another thread to whine about the heat and lack of rain. But then I remembered it's dofo we're talking about and it made perfect sense.

Can we take away his power to create a thread? Is that something we should get @kai: to look into?
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I almost wondered why we needed yet another thread to whine about the heat and lack of rain. But then I remembered it's dofo we're talking about and it made perfect sense.

Can we take away his power to create a thread? Is that something we should get @kai to look into?
            No, another forum called Droughts needs to be created. That way all the drought threads can be managed easier.
            Last edited by 1979Shocker; August 16, 2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Cheney lake levels are currently down 6-7 feet. I'm expecting water restrictions anytime...

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneShocker View Post
                Cheney lake levels are currently down 6-7 feet. I'm expecting water restrictions anytime...
                well, maybe they will be able to solve the mystery of Lochness Cousin in Cheney

Capture.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
                  Interested to know how Kansas farmers will adapt to the ongoing drought if this is the new norm - May get enough moisture in the fall to sustain winter wheat but it will take alot of rain to grow corn next year.

Plus the oil boom in southern Kansas requires alot of water that could be used in irrigation
                  No-till will help. They have been doing it for years. Plus, underground water in our part of Kansas is localized far beyond what most people think. We aren't on top of the Ogala aquifer. Water around here sits in cracks in the limestone. So basically, farmers wells have a better chance of lasting throughout the summer because they are putting the water right back in the ground and pumping it out again. But while that helps, rain still is crucial to growing crops. What they have to figure out now is how to keep the ground from being scorched from the blazing sun. Double cropping might help with that, where they are planting a hay crop with their regular crop.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                  Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

No-till conserves moisture. It requires a different set of equipment to farm that way. It is not just a change that can be made easily or quickly. Some do it, some do not. Personally, I think the jury is still out on the practice. It requires a lot more chemical application (spraying poison on the land that we use to grow food). I do not dirt farm, and I am not a tree-hugger, tho I feel that I am a pretty strict conservationalist and a steward of the land, but the no-till practice makes me uneasy.

Comment

I need federal assistance - one of my hollies died.

At least farmers who irrigate are using the water to produce something useful. When we keep our lawns green in weather like this, we're using up scarce water for purely aesthetic and vanity reasons. I'm watering my landscaping once a week - probably waited a week too long to get started, but my lawn is beautifully brown.

I was planning on reseeding the front of my house this year, but as dry as it is, the amount of water that would take is ridiculous.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Kansas Ag Industry, unimpeded by progress.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I'm ina farming community and the no-till is only about 50-50. Tilling kills weeds instead of using round up. They also dont irrigate around here. Why do some farmers have to irrigate so much? And as Aargh said, watering the lawn is very wasteful. I've seen some yards that have standing water all the time and the curbs running because of so much watering. It's probably time to build that reservoir in Butler cpunty that was planned 60 years ago dor more water supply and quit pumping it out of the ground.

Comment

In the grand scheme of things, watering the lawn may seem kinda wasteful. However, people have the choice of wanting their hard-earned properties looking nice. If they have that option, they can use it. It's not those peoples' fault that crops aren't getting watered. And besides, if things got bad enough, they would put water restrictions in place. It obviously hasn't got bad enough to warrant that.

By the way, will we ever get above average on high temperatures again? Crazy excessive heat going on right now. Since we're now below normal on temps, it's a sure sign that the climate is changing and the world is coming to an end.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

from Mike Smith weather blog - expected rain through the week to sunday. If half of it pans out it would be a good rain.

The Leading Blog About Weather, Climate and Business. We are passionate about liberty, free enterprise, and traditional American values.

Capture.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X