Interesting read on youth sports/football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting read on youth sports/football

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8217949/do-pee-wee-players-need-killer-instinct

T
    hough football isn't taken quite that seriously in my neck of the woods, it's become a big deal and I'm already hearing about over-intense youth coaches. Some friends of my son are going to summer weightlifting (on baseball gamedays and in one instance, missed a baseball game so as to not miss lifting) in order to prepare for 7th-grade football. Every year I get more soured on the sport.

I agree Royal. In fact, I think most youth sports have become way to serious. So I can tell you, as much as my wife and I enjoyed watching our sons play football (as well as other sports), for us, the best game of all, was the last game of the last season (8th grade) of youth football for our youngest son. And that's coming from someone who's family has been immersed in football for four generations. It became so hardcore, it just wasn't fun anymore.
    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
    X