Strange Laws, Regulations, and Ordinances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Laws, Regulations, and Ordinances

Sometimes looking at odd/silly rules put forth by local government can be entertaining. Some make you scratch your head and wonder what on earth happened to cause that to be implimented. Others are just interesting.

I'll add more from other sources later, but here's one that just popped up in my feed for Wichita.

NewsBreak - Barking Mad Regulations: 10 Absurd Dog Laws from Wichita, Kansas

I'll admit there will be better links I come up with later, or I'm sure some of you can find some as well should you care to do so. But I'm going to highlight a couple of the 10 and you can click on the link to see the rest.

The Two-Bark Rule: In certain neighborhoods, dogs are not allowed to bark more than twice in a fifteen-minute period. Continuous barking could earn the owner a fine!

Leash Loopholes: While dogs should be on a leash, there's an odd exception: if you can prove your dog responds to voice commands at least 95% of the time, they can roam free!

Puppy Paperwork: Before hosting a dog party with more than six canine attendees, residents need to file paperwork with the city a week in advance.

Grooming Guidelines: Giving your dog a haircut on a Sunday is prohibited. Looks like Monday to Saturday are spa days!
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

The Lawyer Portal - Weirdest Laws In The US That Still Exist

This was done a couple months ago, so it is up to date.

A few that I find most interesting below.

You’re not allowed to drive a black car on a Sunday in Denver, Colorado

It’s illegal to run out of gas in Youngstown, Ohio

Despite the legal drinking age being 21 in four states in America, there is a strange loophole: students at a culinary school in Illinois can consume wine while under age if they spit it out.
    It was argued that culinary students should know their wine well and that this would be an important factor in receiving a valuable education. So, the state passed the Sip and Spit law, allowing culinary students to taste the wine as long as they spit it out afterwards, so that they are able to understand this crucial area of their education.

If you’re a bingo lover, you’ll hate to find out that a game cannot last more than five hours in North Carolina. It’s even worse if you like a little glass of wine while playing, because, in this state, it is illegal to be intoxicated while playing bingo.

The state of New Mexico bans (and, no, this isn’t a made-up quote) ‘idiots’ from voting in elections. The blatantly problematic elements of such a piece of legislation mean it would be impossible to enforce.

If you’re under 18, the state of South Carolina won’t allow you to play pinball. It’s considered addictive and morally dangerous behaviour for some reason – a ‘status offence violation’ will be offered to you if you go ahead anyway.
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
      X