Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor League Coach Gets Year Long Ban

Well, this is a new twist.

I can see both sides, but there is better ways to resolve this. Your ideas??

How are intentional balls different than intentional walks? Balks only speeds up the outcome.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Since minor leagues ARE meant to be developmental, I liked one commenter's idea. After a certain number of innings (the commenter suggested 12) call it a tie, and then only finish it if it has meaning in the standings at the end of the season.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
        How are intentional balls different than intentional walks? Balks only speeds up the outcome.
        An intentional walk is a strategy to try and win by avoiding a hitter to get to a lesser one or making for a better matchup for the pitcher. Also, used to set up a better chance for a double play or force out in certain situations. It is done for the advantage of the team in the field. If the coach started to intentionally walking batters when the situation did not indicate, he would have still gotten in trouble.

A balk is not a pitch to a batter, but an illegal pitching move that moves runners up one base into scoring position (or to score if a runner is on 3rd). It is a penalty to the team on the field. Big difference.

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        Since minor leagues ARE meant to be developmental, I liked one commenter's idea. After a certain number of innings (the commenter suggested 12) call it a tie, and then only finish it if it has meaning in the standings at the end of the season.
        I, too, thought this was an excellent idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
          Are you tying? Are you tying? ARE YOU TYING? There's no trying! THERE'S NO TYING IN BASEBALL!

No TYING!
          I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

The BS about 'integrity of the game' is total chest-thumping rhetoric. No one benefits or suffers whether a meaningless Class A league game is played to conclusion or not. Really. The players don't care - watching the attitude of developmental level players when Wichita had the AA Wranglers convinced me of that. They have a singular goal in mind - make it to the "Show". They want to pad their stats and could care less about the team and playing the game the right way. The fans don't care - how many do you think were there when the game ended?

If the league president is genuinely peeved about it he should have given a token suspension to send a message. The temporary manager was not disrespecting the game, rather protecting the players. MLB let an All-Star game end in a tie, for crissakes. Clearly MLB thinks protecting players is more important than playing out a meaningless game.

This guy should appeal - a year is WAAAAYYY overboard.

--'85.
            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

More info on what took place:

Just to clarify...the pitcher (actually he is an outfielder) walked a batter with one out in the 17th. He balked the baserunner to 3rd. He struck out the next batter for the 2nd out and got the next batter fly out to end the inning.
              In the 18th the leadoff hitter singled and advanced to 2nd on a sac bunt. The pitcher balked him to 3rd and he scored on a hit to the outfield (the outfield and infield were drawn in to cut off the runner at home).
              After learning all the facts...it is clear that the hitting coach didn't want his position players throwing from the stretch. So he instructed the pitchers to balk the baserunners to third where they can pitch out of the windup. If anyone on this board was a non-pitcher that has been put in a situation like this you will know that it is difficult to throw (accurately) from the stretch when you haven't done it in a long time (or ever).
              In my view, this is NOT the same as throwing a game and the punishment is way too harsh.

If this indeed was the case, Steverson should have just had his "position player/pitcher" throw from a windup from the beginning when the runner was at first and let him steal if he wished. This is not illegal and, if questioned, Steverson would have had a logical reason for doing so. These players are not pitchers, they would be more accurate than throwing from a stretch (a manner they're not used to), and also to prevent injury. Everything else he did was in a manner to try and win the game.

Comment

pitching from the stretch is easier than pitching from a full windup - just go visit any 9 year old game. You never see them pitching from a full windup.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  pitching from the stretch is easier than pitching from a full windup - just go visit any 9 year old game. You never see them pitching from a full windup.
                  Every 9 year old game I've seen has had most kids pitching from the windup with no runners on. Maybe it depends on coaching, but I always found it easier to pitch from the windup.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Every 9 year old game I've seen has had most kids pitching from the windup with no runners on. Maybe it depends on coaching, but I always found it easier to pitch from the windup.
                    All I can tell you what I saw from all the 10u baseball and there was not 1 single pitcher pitching from a full wind-up. A pitching coach who worked with pitchers recommended pitching from the stretch because there is less things to go wrong in mechanics at this age. Now if you are watching weekend tournament 10u under baseball I could see where you experience might be different as you are seeing more skilled group of players.

Comment

The team I watch is just a bunch of kids from El Dorado/Oil Hill mostly. They don't play in a lot of tournaments and have 6 different kids that I've seen pitch. All pitch from a windup. And most of their opponents are the same way. When I was growing up, everyone pitched from the windup. I was just surprised to see someone say they don't see kids pitch that way. I've seen some tournament level teams pitch that way and all the way down to the YMCA level pitch that way.

I know I was always more comfortable pitching from the windup. Felt more in control as well.

I'll also admit that I don't watch a ton of young baseball anymore. The girlfriends little brother plays 10u is the only reason I said anything to begin with. I watch a hell of a lot more softball these days with my niece's team/organization. I will say the kids on the girlfriends little brothers team also pitch better from the windup as far as throwing strikes is concerned.

I would say that pitching from the windup would be more natural in the sense that it's closer to mimicking playing catch. Whereas pitching out of the stretch isn't as natural. Maybe I'm completely off base with that, but it's how it seems to me.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My son has been pitching out of the windup & stretch since he was 8

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

It's important to stretch prior to the windup...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                              All I can tell you what I saw from all the 10u baseball and there was not 1 single pitcher pitching from a full wind-up. A pitching coach who worked with pitchers recommended pitching from the stretch because there is less things to go wrong in mechanics at this age. Now if you are watching weekend tournament 10u under baseball I could see where you experience might be different as you are seeing more skilled group of players.
                              I was a pitcher back in the day and I still occasionally throw BP to my son's team and it is, as you say, easier to pitch from the stretch than the windup. Less mechanics and more like a normal throw. If you're not comfortable with your wind-up it can be awkward, particularly when setting your push-off foot. I watched 12 year-old pitchers this year struggle to get their foot placed, sometimes stepping right on top of the rubber and other times setting six inches in front of it.

For me, the appeal of the wind-up was, as the name implies, to get your body "wound up" (sort of like getting a running start) in order to get a little more velocity.

When I play catch, I never step backward or sideward before stepping toward my target, so I don't know how a wind-up would feel more natural.

Comment

Working...
                              X