KSHSAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KSHSAA

KSHSAA and baseball coaches not seeing eye to eye. I'm not surprised by this as KSHSAA has been resistant to expand any season despite the fact that bordering states allow for more games to be played in nearly every sport which only benefits those student athletes and helps them get recruited. I know basketball went through this a number of years ago and I believe they're still restricted to the 20 game max as well.

AOL - Kansas high school baseball coaches frustrated after KSHSAA vote blocks expanded season

Frustration is bubbling among Kansas high school baseball coaches after their proposal to expand the regular season, a change they argue would modernize the sport in the state, recently failed to pass a vote by the KSHSAA Board of Directors.

The proposal would have allowed but not forced varsity teams to schedule up to 26 regular-season games, up from the current maximum of 20. Currently every bordering state plays more regular-season games than Kansas with teams in Oklahoma, Missouri and Nebraska teams capable of playing more than 30 regular-season games.

The increase received 87% approval from 170 Kansas baseball coaches who voted in the fall of 2021, but the same rule change presented to the KSHSAA Board of Directors on April 27 came up just short, 33 to 32, with a voting body composed of mostly principals, assistant principals and athletic directors from around the state.

The disconnect between the coaches trying to “modernize” the sport in Kansas and the administrators who ultimately decide if change can occur has left many coaches miffed.

“We feel strongly that this is in the best interest for our sport moving forward, so coaches are frustrated because we feel like the people in administration positions are not listening to their employees,” Olathe West coach Rick Sabath said.

“You’ve just got a lot of people who are stuck in their ways,” said McPherson coach Heath Gerstner, who is also the president of the Kansas Association of Baseball Coaches. “We’ve got too many people who are in the habit of saying ‘nope’ all the time.”
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

FKSHSAA

Comment

This isn't KSHSAA, but the NFHS and personally I'm not a fan.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        This isn't KSHSAA, but the NFHS and personally I'm not a fan.

Saw this yesterday.

It makes it harder for teams to come back. And if you're already in foul trouble heading in to the fourth quarter and you're down, it's an even bigger uphill climb.

The "injury reduction argument" holds zero water. Players box out plenty of times during the game, but they reduce this amount by something like 3-5% and claim they're going to reduce injuries? Give me a break.

Not every level of basketball has to be like the NBA.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

KSHSAA in the news again and not in a positive way. Multi-sport athletes are getting screwed over by KSHSAA scheduling.

KSN - Dual-sport athletes call for KSHSAA change after schedule conflict sidelines teen

There’s frustration for many Kansas high school athletes and especially one Olathe student-athlete who had to sit on the sideline at the state track meet.

Kendall Yarnell is a riding senior who qualified for state in two sports and said a scheduling conflict kept her from competing in one of those competitions.
          “I would like to see where there’s no overlap,” former Piper High School senior Kylie Brockman said.

“The overall that needs to be changed is the dates overlapping,” Yarnell said.

Yarnell is on the varsity softball and track and field teams for Olathe Northwest. Brockman played softball and threw javelin for Piper High School.

Olathe Northwest’s softball team made it to state in Lawrence; Yarnell also qualified to throw shot put and discus at state in Wichita.
          Lopez said being a dual-sport athlete is difficult, but there are five on his team and three made it to state in both sports.

He’d like to see changes to KSHSAA’s schedule, so athletes don’t have to make a heart-wrenching choice.
          Yarnell’s family said Baldwin High School also had two athletes that had to pick between soccer and track and field.

“You want to be great at two things, but if you’re gonna not be allowed in something then what’s even the point,” Brockman said.

“You work so hard all year for something, and then it’s taken away from you at the end. So I think it’s just going to push kids away, and we’re going to lose great athletes.”
          Faflick talked about scheduling for the masses, but I wouldn't think it would really be that difficult to make sure that championship events didn't overlap so that those dual-sport athletes still have opportunities should they qualify in both sports. I used to wonder about this and how it would work and apparently it doesn't work well.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Everyone does not have to be accommodated. It’s such a different world today, where every Tom, Dick & Harry must be accommodated or something is wrong. They knew the schedules going in. Pick one sport or live with the consequences. I don’t see how this is a bad look for the KSHSAA at all.

Comment

It wouldn't be difficult for KSHSAA to stagger championships. And considering KSHSAA does so much to limit HS athletes as it is compared to other states I don't think this is a good look.

And considering studies show those that compete in multiple sports seem to be better off than those that focus on one, I think it makes some sense. Some sports overlap and some don't.

Having staggered championships would also be more family friendly for those who have kids that compete in different sports and may make the state tournaments as well.

It really wouldn't be all that complicated for KSHSAA to look into and tweak some dates.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Remember when Chris Ostreicher had to leave at halftime of the State LaCrosse Championship to go sing in the State Choir competition??

Comment

KWCH - KSHSAA approves changes to state football, other sports

The Kansas State High School Activities Association executive board approved significant changes to state championships beginning in 2024.

Perhaps the most notable change will happen in state football, whose championship games were each held in separate locations. Starting in 2024, three games will be held at three locations each. With the locations to be determined, state football in 2024 will be held Nov. 29-30 with one game on Friday and two games on Saturday at each location.

The soccer postseason will also see changes, with championships being played at one site starting in fall 2024.

Following a previous change to 4A and 3-1A boys and girls wrestling in Salina, 6A and 5A will follow the same three day format at Hartman Arena. With the approved changes, the state wrestling tournaments will take place Feb. 22-24, 2024.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                    Remember when Chris Ostreicher had to leave at halftime of the State LaCrosse Championship to go sing in the State Choir competition??
                    This was a truly funny movie (American Pie). I originally saw this on a Monday night, a sold-out sneak preview days before the "regular release." I have never seen so many people in a movie theater in a better environment. It was so well received, there was a line to purchase tickets for Friday release right after the Monday night sneak preview.

And now (2023) there are commercials (Door Dash and Pie Lovers Unite that pay homage to the characters and movie.

Start earning today with your photo, video or audio content Create, submit and earn: https://submit.shutterstock.com/?rid=410154257&language=enBrand: Edward...

American Pie stars Sean William Scott and Jason Biggs reunite for a fun new DoorDash commercial. The ad sees Stifler actor Scott turning up uninvited at Jim ...

Comment

Changes in KSHSAA classifications for this year (non-football) are out.

Catch it Kansas - Changes in KSHSAA classifications announced

Local(ish) schools moving up or down include Maize, Bluestem, and Wichita Classical.

For football, in '24 and '25 include Maize, Wichita West, Kapaun, Chaparral, Belle Plaine, Bluestem, Attica/Argonia, and Pretty Prairie
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Personally, I've been on board with this for years. When I officiated, I thought it would be great. As a fan and player back in the day, I generally hated to see teams take minutes off of the clock just because they could. Saw a team waste nearly the entire fourth quarter dribbling near half court so they could maintain the score and get their star player who had some foul trouble back in the game. I believe they eventually won that game too. You could argue that the other team had every chance to go play D and make them do something as well, but it was insane.

I've also seen overtime games where whoever won the tip, simply held the ball for the last shot.

Hopefully this will move forward and become the norm. It will be the best thing for HS basketball in KS if it does.

Eagle - The pros and cons of KSHSAA's trial run for shot clock in Kansas high school basketball

The 35-second shot clock is coming to Kansas high school basketball games on a trial basis for the 2024-25 season following approval from the Kansas State High School Activities Association Executive Board on Wednesday.

It will be up to each school to determine if it wants to use a shot clock for all home boys and girls varsity games. The trial only applies to regular-season games, meaning all postseason games will be played without a shot clock.

Wednesday’s ruling was met with enthusiasm from the majority of Kansas high school basketball coaches, while administrators seem to be taking a more cautious approach.

“The shot clock is a great thing for Kansas basketball and something that’s been overdue,” Maize South girls basketball coach Ben Hamilton said. “It’s going to make the most exciting sport even more exciting at the high school level.”

“This is the only way to play if we’re truly attempting to help varsity basketball players prepare for the game at the next level,” Wichita Heights boys basketball coach Joe Auer said. “Now your individual ball skills, your ability to create separation off the dribble, your ability as an individual to showcase your talents is definitely on display in a shot-clock game, where in a non-shot-clock game, there’s no incentive to do anything other than take the absolute best shot.

“And that’s great on one hand. Team basketball, everybody touches it, a lot of ball reversals, being very selective. But at the next level, you have to demonstrate the ability to create separation to score, to go off the dribble and get your shot off. I’m excited how this is going to reward guys who have good individual ball skills.”

Helping prepare players with aspirations of playing college basketball is important to coaches in larger classifications.

When Kansas Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association polled school administrators this past October, the implementation of the shot clock was overwhelmingly shot down by a 279-116 margin.

A big reason why? The cost. According to a KSHSAA spokesperson, installing a shot clock will cost anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000 for schools.

Another reason why administrators are opposed to it? Because they know how difficult it is finding officials and the controversy that might arise over shot-clock issues.

“We’ll probably be a school who waits and sees how it goes for both of those reasons,” Hesston athletic director Clint Stoppel said. “We already have an official shortage, so trying to find someone who is trained and available to do the job is something to think about. The last thing we want is another reason for someone in the stands to be hollering at officials.”

During the trial run, the KSHSAA will ask administrators to complete a short survey following each game. The survey is not finalized, but it will be sure to inquire how many shot clock violations there were in the game and if any game stoppages occurred because of the shot clock.

The KSHSAA will collect data and observations throughout the season before making a more permanent decision about implementation following the 2024-25 season.

“For some reason, unbeknownst to us, we’re not going to do it in the postseason,” Wichita Heights boys basketball coach Joe Auer said. “The idea we’re going to play a shot clock game all year and then play a much different style of basketball in the postseason, I can’t come up with a good reason for that.”

“It’s apples and oranges when you have a shot clock and when you don’t,” Derby boys basketball coach Brett Flory said.

While the shot clock is expected to be implemented for the majority of Class 6A and Class 5A schools, it is likely to be less popular in the lower classifications.

Collegiate boys basketball coach Mitch Fiegel, who competes at the 3A level, says he is fully on board with playing games with a shot clock but is considering not implementing the shot clock for the trial run because of the difference in postseason play.

“Why would I want to play by one set of rules for the entire season and then play by a different set of rules in the postseason?” Fiegel said. “The reason it’s okay to take a bad shot is because there’s a shot clock. So now I’m telling guys for 20 games to think it’s okay to take a bad shot because we’re at the end of the shot clock, then we start the postseason and expect them to behave differently? I’m not too excited about that.”

Coaches like Maize South girls basketball coach Ben Hamilton agree it’s not ideal, but believes the trial run is what is needed to eventually make the rule permanent.
                        I understand all sides of the arguments. This is probably a much more drastic change for the smaller schools that will generally have less individual talent and take more time to generate offense than your larger schools.

The cost isn't near as bad as I thought I remembered, though it's very possible the costs have come down quite a bit since this was first talked about years ago. But for some schools, that's still money that would be hard to part with, especially if you end up having to put them up in multiple gyms.

It does also suck that you could play with a shot clock all year and then in post season it all of a sudden isn't there.

But I do feel that this is a step in the right direction.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          Personally, I've been on board with this for years. When I officiated, I thought it would be great. As a fan and player back in the day, I generally hated to see teams take minutes off of the clock just because they could. Saw a team waste nearly the entire fourth quarter dribbling near half court so they could maintain the score and get their star player who had some foul trouble back in the game. I believe they eventually won that game too. You could argue that the other team had every chance to go play D and make them do something as well, but it was insane.

I've also seen overtime games where whoever won the tip, simply held the ball for the last shot.

Hopefully this will move forward and become the norm. It will be the best thing for HS basketball in KS if it does.

Eagle - The pros and cons of KSHSAA's trial run for shot clock in Kansas high school basketball

I understand all sides of the arguments. This is probably a much more drastic change for the smaller schools that will generally have less individual talent and take more time to generate offense than your larger schools.

The cost isn't near as bad as I thought I remembered, though it's very possible the costs have come down quite a bit since this was first talked about years ago. But for some schools, that's still money that would be hard to part with, especially if you end up having to put them up in multiple gyms.

It does also suck that you could play with a shot clock all year and then in post season it all of a sudden isn't there.

But I do feel that this is a step in the right direction.

There will also be the need to secure another person to operate the shot clock. Scoreboard operator and shot clock operator will have to be two people.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Big fan of the shot clock, and I LOVE a good beat down! When Heights is playing St. Hubert's Immaculate Tutoring of Tranquillity and Youth Catholic High School, I really want to make sure Heights is forced to keep shooting while they are winning 103 to 15. So sick of seeing elite teams camp the clock in that situation.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                            X