Whiskey ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskey ratings

I don't have the greatest taste in whiskeys. I've gone up to Maker's and decided it wasn't worth the price difference over Jack Daniels.

A friend of mine wanted me to try David Nicholson's 1843, which isn't available in Kansas. He has friends in KCMO buy it and bring it to him and then he gives it to me. It's good to have friends like that.

The 1843 version is $25 for a 750 ml bottle and is excellent. Better than Makers in my opinion. The Reserve version is nearly double the price and isn't worth the extra cost.

Are there any bourbons in that price range I should check out?

The best whiskey I've ever tasted was also a gift. A Chivas high end Scotch which was $189 at the time he gave it to me. The David Nicholson 1843 is second only to the high end Chivas, but there are many bourbons I have not tried.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

In your price range - George Dickel, Four Roses, Weller

Comment

They don't call him Kentucky Mike for nothing!
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ky-mike View Post
        In your price range - George Dickel, Four Roses, Weller
        Weller's was my choice when I was buying bourbons. It's a great value. As I recall Old Crow (??) was every bit as good as Weller's and even less expensive. I'm looking for something above that price range. My experience has been that there are diminishing returns from moving into the higher dollar bourbons.

I'm trying to find something my friend can buy for me that he doesn't have to bring in from Kansas City. His most recent gift was a $50 750 ml bottle of David Nicholson Reserve.

The guy buying me the booze recently sold 30+ rental houses he owned. He's also one of the nation's top-rated tennis players in his age bracket (80 - 85).
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

So, what is your price range? Woodford is also very good at about $31. Very easy to find. Here in Kentucky, I can visit distilleries and taste the product before I buy. In Kansas, the best thing to do is to order different bourbons when you go out to eat. For $10-$15 you can "taste test" before you go and spend $$ on a bottle to find out if you like it or not.

I'm not a JD fan. I do like Maker's 46 and Maker's barrel strength. Both have different flavor profiles than regular Maker's. If you can find it, Eagle Rare, at around $40 is a great 10-year bourbon.

I'll be in Wichita next month. Hope to grab some Weller (not Wellers) to bring back to KY as it is very hard to find here.

Comment

Not a whiskey coinsurer for sure, but in my younger days, Weller was my go-to.

Now it's Buffalo Trace. Surprised that neither of you have mentioned it.

Haven't tried them, but here's a few more I've heard and read are top notch for the price:

Knob Creek Small Batch 9 Year

Larceny Small Batch

Michter's 10-Year

I've also heard good things about Four Roses that ky-mike mentioned.

For a rye whiskey I like Bullett.

I do not like Scotch.

It's all pretty much personal preferences.

Comment

I was just going to ask....I seem to never read anyone talk about Scotch when discussing whiskey. Is it just not popular or not popular here?

I rarely imbibe but I will always have at least one bottle of Glenfiddich around. Maybe I'm alone in that distinction.

Comment

How does all this stuff compare to the gold standard of whiskey - Fireball.

Comment

Jack Fire > Fireball
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    I was just going to ask....I seem to never read anyone talk about Scotch when discussing whiskey. Is it just not popular or not popular here?

I rarely imbibe but I will always have at least one bottle of Glenfiddich around. Maybe I'm alone in that distinction.
                    Interesting that you brought that up. As I said, I've "tried" Scotch a couple of times long ago, but just didn't like it.

I know a lot of people that drink Scotch, particularly in social affairs. I know friends that drink it.

One of my "lines" when seeing someone I know drink Scotch is: "I've tried Scotch and just didn't care for it. Did you like it the first time you tried it?"

Invariably, they say "no". However, they also say "it seems to be the social drink of many, so I got used to it". Never understood that line of reasoning for drinking liquor.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      How does all this stuff compare to the gold standard of whiskey - Fireball.
                      Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Jack Fire > Fireball
                      I've always equated that to being a "pre-mixed" drink. Kind of like Sloe Gin, not in taste, but in style.

I'll mix Jim Beam with cola on rare occasions and keep Beam handy for others, but I really prefer my favorite bourbons neat.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I've always equated that to being a "pre-mixed" drink. Kind of like Sloe Gin, not in taste, but in style.

I'll mix Jim Beam with cola on rare occasions and keep Beam handy for others, but I really prefer my favorite bourbons neat.
                        I was totally kidding. Thought I might ruffle some whiskey connoisseurs and get a reaction.

I think many folks say Fireball is a liqueur, but I've heard others say it really is a whiskey, just a cheap one.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

I was totally kidding. Thought I might ruffle some whiskey connoisseurs and get a reaction.

I think many folks say Fireball is a liqueur, but I've heard others say it really is a whiskey, just a cheap one.
                            Yea, I should have started my post with an LOL before being "straight laced" about it. I'm always amazed at seeing a table where a group is shooting shots of that stuff.

By the way, I'm far from being a whiskey connoisseur.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              I don't have the greatest taste in whiskeys. I've gone up to Maker's and decided it wasn't worth the price difference over Jack Daniels.

A friend of mine wanted me to try David Nicholson's 1843, which isn't available in Kansas. He has friends in KCMO buy it and bring it to him and then he gives it to me. It's good to have friends like that.

The 1843 version is $25 for a 750 ml bottle and is excellent. Better than Makers in my opinion. The Reserve version is nearly double the price and isn't worth the extra cost.

Are there any bourbons in that price range I should check out?

The best whiskey I've ever tasted was also a gift. A Chivas high end Scotch which was $189 at the time he gave it to me. The David Nicholson 1843 is second only to the high end Chivas, but there are many bourbons I have not tried.
                              Brown Sugar Bourbon if you can find it. The 60 proof you can pour over pancakes, and it’s quite good. The 103 is the best for sipping.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X