Unfortunate Local News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunate Local News

I try to keep the 316 thread mostly positive, but felt the need to share this. I first heard about it in a group chat as I have a friend who lives near the BK in Derby and heard the explosion. There weren't a lot of details last night, other than a toddler lost her life and the mother has significant burn injuries after a QT gas pump exploded. Apparently a driver going down Meadowlark somehow left the road and crashed into her car while she was pumping gas, causing the explosion. There were some smaller secondary explosions I believe as well and from the videos and pictures I've seen, it was a hell of a scene. I'm not sure this is a scenario I'd have ever imagined seeing. When I first found out about it, I couldn't help but think it was some moron smoking or something. I mean, how else do these things happen?

Three-year-old girl killed, woman hurt when car crash causes explosion at Derby QuikTrip

Yahoo! - An explosion following a car crash killed a three-year-old girl and seriously injured a woman who was pumping gas at a Derby QuikTrip on Monday evening.

The incident was reported around 5:30 p.m. at the QuikTrip in the 1400 block of North Nelson Drive, near K-15 and Meadowlark, Derby Police Chief Robert Lee said during a media briefing

A man thought to be heading east on Meadowlark left the roadway and careened into the convenience store’s parking lot, Lee said.

A woman was pumping gas when the man’s vehicle struck hers, causing the explosion. The girl, who was inside the woman’s car, died from her injuries, according to Lee.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Devastating; my heart breaks for the family of the victims. My wife and I both got very quiet last night while watching the news report. Difficult to get your mind wrapped around something like this.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Uuuugh. Thoughts and prayers for her daughter and her family. That's horrific.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I've heard a lot of reports about it. Who knows what's true and what's not. I've seen reports that the little girl was buckled into her car seat and wasn't able to be freed. Though with the explosion and the intensity of the fire I'm not sure if anyone was actually able to even attempt to rescue her. Heard reports that the mother was engulfed in flames and that wouldn't surprise me if she was standing there when it exploded. How she survived that initial explosion I can't grasp.

Also, some of the videos I'd seen posted in the comments section of news articles are intense. I'm not sure I've seen fire burn the color of what I was seeing before. It was an intense red.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Unconfirmed report, but hearing from a friend, that the driver had a hypoglycemic episode and blacked out.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If anyone is interested, this link will take you to the verified Go Fund Me created for the Ivy family. The little girls name was Harper and mom is Stephanie. An update on the page says Stephanie is stable and will be in an induced coma for at least three weeks. Lots of skin related surgeries and may lose a foot.

Based on the name of the person organizing the fundraiser, there should be no concerns with the legitimacy of it. Jennifer White is a fairly well known name in the area and heads ICT SOS.

As of this post, there have been 608 people donate for a total of $28,357. It looks like $50,000 might be the goal and I'm not sure that will cover everything. Obviously, I don't know what kind of insurance coverage they have and how much will come out of pocket, but funerals aren't cheap and neither on long stays in the hospital. Not to mention the recovery and grieving that will come along with it. Therapy, physical or otherwise, also isn't cheap.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Having a 3 year old daughter, this particularly hit close to home and I kinda lost it for a moment last night. Absolutely devastating and unimaginable. I truly hope that it was instant for the poor girl. Just horrific.

Thoughts and prayers to the family.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Horrific.
                Go Shocks!

Comment

Eagle - No charges after medical issue caused Derby QuikTrip crash that killed toddler, DA says

Just an update. I think based on everything we heard at/near the time of the accident, that this would be the case.

Doctors were able to save Stephanie's foot, but she has more surgeries and who knows what else in her future.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Eagle - Wichita sports photographer dies after inadvertent collision at football game

A well-known Wichita sports photographer is on life support after an inadvertent collision with players on the sidelines of a high school football game.

Linda Gregory, a longtime photographer for the Wichita Northwest High School football team, was taking pictures on the sidelines of a junior varsity football game on Monday night when two players still engaged in a block continued just past out of bounds and knocked her over. She fell backward and hit her head on the concrete apron of the track at Bishop Carroll High School.

She was transported to a hospital on Monday evening after the accident and eventually was placed on life support. The Wichita Northwest Grizzly Football Facebook page has relayed updates from her husband, Mel Gregory, including that Linda will be transported to Kansas City for organ donation plans.

Northwest football coach Steve Martin told The Eagle the team will wear “LG” helmet stickers for the remainder of the season, starting with Friday’s game at Heights.

“Linda was an amazing person who breathed life into our students here at Northwest,” Martin said in a statement to The Eagle. “She would go out of her way to make each kid feel important in her own unique way. Her passion for kids was amazing, but it went deeper than taking pictures for Linda and Mel. They were a part of our football team and always will be. They are family! She was a mentor and friend to some of our boys, past and present, and they are hurting right now.
                    Tragic and freak accident and to someone who has spent years on the sidelines doing what she apparently loved.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Oh man. What a terrible deal!
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Eagle - Wichita sports photographer dies after inadvertent collision at football game

Tragic and freak accident and to someone who has spent years on the sidelines doing what she apparently loved.
                        Tragic indeed. Very sad.

Comment

This one has hit close to home as I know a lot of people who have been impacted by this one.

KWCH - Minor dies from injuries in crash involving car, Circle school district bus

The Butler County Sheriff’s Office confirmed a minor died at a Wichita hospital following Friday afternoon’s crash involving a Chevy Malibu and a bus with the Circle school district.

The sheriff’s office said in the crash, reported about 4 p.m. on K-254 at SW Adams Road, the bus was traveling north on Adams Road, crossing the highway as the Malibu was traveling west on K-254.

“It appears the school bus failed to yield the right of way and the Malibu collided into the bus,” the sheriff’s office said.

The Malibu’s driver suffered serious injuries in the crash. The fatally-injured minor was a passenger in the car.

There were 14 children on the bus, none of which were seriously injured.

“The accident remains under investigation at this time,” the sheriff’s office said in a Friday night update.
                          I've heard the cars front was completely crushed.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                          X