World Record No More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Record No More

Dutch Woman Smashes a World Record Unbroken for 41 Years-While Home Audience Cheers

A 41-year-old world record in women’s track and field stands no longer after a young Dutch speed demon smashed it in front of her home crowd.

Femke Bol took off at the starting pistol at the Dutch Indoor Championships in Apeldoorn, and completed a 400-meter sprint in 49.26 seconds, beating Jarmila Kratochvílová’s world record of 49.59 seconds set in 1982.

“It was because of all the fans here that I ran this record,” said the 22-year-old Olympic bronze medalist.

“Never have I ever seen that many people here. When I crossed the line, I knew that the record was mine because of the noise that the crowd made.”
    Video of the race within the link. She led from the start and I think was still pulling away as she crossed the line.

This was the oldest Track record standing and the second oldest in Track and Field as a whole.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I'm not sure how much the 400m indoor is contested among the elite track athletes. And the answer may very well be just as much as the outdoor. I don't know.

I do know that based on https://www.worldathletics.org/recor...Day=2023-02-21

a time under 50.00 has been achieved exactly 5 times ever. And this was the first time by a woman whose name did not end in OVA. Femke (who is without question an elite sprinter, don't misunderstand me) smashed her PR in a field where she wasn't pressed.....lowering a WR that, let's face it, has been marred for 50 years by doping and possible transgenders before they became popular (my how the left would have ADORED the GDR back in the day).

I'm not saying Femke is doping....just that it is very unusual and not at a big meet to drop that kind of PR.....it's odd.

She's just 22-23 so it's possible that's she's entering prime "freak" mode physically. As I said, she is without question an elite sprinter. Looking forward to seeing her match up against Sydney McLaughlin again and perhaps Athing Mu later this year and as we approach the next Olympic cycle.

Comment

Working...
    X