Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WstateU
    replied
    I’ve always liked Jim Rome. FHCGM was always a great interview…

”Straight cash homey”

Here’s a 1990’s classic…

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Kombucha Can Mimic the Effects of Fasting in the Body, According to a Study

The microbes in the fizzy, fermented drink called kombucha, make several changes to the way fat is metabolized in the gut and intestines that are remarkably similar to those seen in fasting periods.

An antique saying in medicine goes “fasting is the cure for all ailments” and while this is certainly hyperbole, like all wisdom of the ancestors, there are grains of truth contained within it.

Most people will probably think of fasting as a religious penance or a political act of protest, but when the body enters a state of fasting, several a-priori biological processes responsible for the cleanup and repair of our cells and tissues are able to work without interference from the massive influences of the metabolic systems.

Researchers at the Univ. of North Carolina looked at how the microbes in kombucha affected the overall microbiome of the GI tract, and what they found highlights why millions of people, including many celebrities, are forthcoming for their love of the fizzy drink.

As the yeast and bacteria colonized the gut in the scientists’ animal model, expression in the genes responsible for fatty acid metabolism changed. Specifically, the changes coded for more proteins that break fat down, and coded for fewer proteins that agglomerate fats into triglycerides.

Interestingly, this change in genetic expression is similar to what is seen in the bodies of people undergoing fasting.

Dr. Robert Dowen who co-led the study described his team as being “surprised” to see that the microbes in kombucha had the ability to induce a fasting-like state even during periods of eating.
    Just found this interesting. I've only heard of Kombucha and know nothing about it. Seems like this could have some health benefits.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

A trend that has emerged this winter: many college coaches are tired of the transfer portal, the NIL money and the new NCAA world - and prefer to work in the NFL. Many college coaches already have left; many more want to.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    I have to admit, I think this is kind of cool.

Glow-in-the-Dark Petunias Emit Bioluminescence Like Fireflies - Now For Sale in 48 States Online

Unfortunately for the human taste of beauty, forest plants have no need to glow in the dark like those in the movie Avatar. Fortunately for the human taste of beauty, we can genetically modify plants to glow in the dark.

Cleared as non-disruptive by the USDA and now available for pre-order, the Firefly Petunia is set to become the first commercially raised flower species that glows in the dark.

The Firefly Petunia emits a soft glow at a lux level similar to moonlight. It can be grown in pots, baskets, or gardens, quickly attaining about 8 to 10 inches in size with abundant white flowers, according to the company Light Bio, which made them.

Although typically regarded as annuals, petunias can be grown indoors if placed in a sunny spot. They flourish under long summer days, preferring at least six hours of direct sunlight. Promoting vigorous growth will produce a brighter glow.

Bioluminescence has been found in many animal species, including fish, invertebrates, and bacteria. The origin of this particular science experiment comes in the form of bioluminescent mushrooms. Scientists transferred four genes from these mushrooms into a tobacco plant, and found it glowed in the dark for its whole life.

“We show that you can transfer four genes from these glowing mushrooms into the plants —and wire them into plant metabolisms—so that the plants start to glow in the dark,” Karen Sarkisyan, one of the lead authors of a study published in the journal Nature Biotechnology on Monday, told CNN.
    There's a teaser video in the link

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    mid-season

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Spoke with an old ballplayer friend over the weekend. I knew he had played baseball at OSU. Asked me about his career. He claims he played at Seminole and they were runner=up at Nationals. The next year, 10 or 12 of them went to ORU and they were "kicking butt," With a handful of games left in the season, the NCAA came down on violations of the basketball program and immediately dropped the entire University to NAIA status, effectively ending their baseball season. Ken Trickey was both AD and basketball coach, he said.
    Don't know why, but when you posted this I thought you were asking for research to get more details. Sorry for misintepreting your intent (and failing at trying to help).

What I learned though is that Trickey is probably the only coach in history to cause two universities to drop from NCAA to NAIA (directly or indirectly).

Even Lew Perkins had to be jealous of that accomplishment.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    In 1987, ORU's founder Oral Roberts hired Trickey to return to the school at a time when the institution was facing both financial difficulty and an investigation for possible rules violations in the sports program. Trickey supervised a move from the NCAA to the NAIA.[12] He coached from 1987 to 1993 and had an overall record of 96–93. ORU elected him to its athletics hall of fame in 2009.[24][25]
    Wow missed that. Trickey was hired to clean up ORU after being sanctioned himself for many violations only 5 or so years earlier at OCU? Odd choice of a hire. But seems to have worked out for ORU.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    In 1987, ORU's founder Oral Roberts hired Trickey to return to the school at a time when the institution was facing both financial difficulty and an investigation for possible rules violations in the sports program. Trickey supervised a move from the NCAA to the NAIA.[12] He coached from 1987 to 1993 and had an overall record of 96–93. ORU elected him to its athletics hall of fame in 2009.[24][25]

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Spoke with an old ballplayer friend over the weekend. I knew he had played baseball at OSU. Asked me about his career. He claims he played at Seminole and they were runner=up at Nationals. The next year, 10 or 12 of them went to ORU and they were "kicking butt," With a handful of games left in the season, the NCAA came down on violations of the basketball program and immediately dropped the entire University to NAIA status, effectively ending their baseball season. Ken Trickey was both AD and basketball coach, he said.
    Looks like your friend played for Oklahoma City University (OCU), not ORU. Trickey got lit up there in 1980-81. The entire athletic department of the university got put on probation and none of the teams were allowed to participate in the post season for two years. They were not forced to drop to NAIA.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/07/s...probation.html

A year after the probation ended the baseball team made it back to the NCAA tournament, and then within a year or two after that the university dropped to NAIA.
    Last edited by Kung Wu; February 19, 2024, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    I kind of wanted to put this in the dog thread, but I feel it doesn't quite fit there.

Woman Finds Her Missing Dog Enjoying A Night Out At The Local Bar

In a heartwarming and unexpected turn of events, a Milwaukee woman's 16-year-old shih tzu named Bear embarked on a little adventure of his own, leaving his owner both worried and amused.

Jenny Hazard's world momentarily shattered when she discovered that Bear, her elderly canine companion, had disappeared from their backyard. Fearing the worst due to Bear's age and heart condition, Hazard frantically searched for him. It didn't take long for her to notice the gate was ajar, and Bear was nowhere to be found.

"After about 15 or 20 minutes, I was just in tears," Hazard recounted, expressing her concern for Bear's well-being.

Desperate for help, she turned to social media, sharing a picture of her beloved dog and pleading for the community to keep an eye out.

The unexpected twist in this canine caper came when Hazard received a text message that would relieve her worries but leave her laughing. It turned out that Bear wasn't in any danger – he was at the local bar, Finks, approximately a mile away, having the time of his life.

"Great, I am relieved he’s okay – but what's he doing at a bar? (laughs)" Hazard told Fox 6 Milwaukee.

As the story unfolded, it was revealed that Bear had found himself in the company of a group of girls on a bar-hopping adventure. The owners of Finks reported that the ladies had apparently picked up Bear on the street, and their first stop was, indeed, Finks.
    There's a three minute news clip over the story in the article, along with some pics from the evening.

Also, the news reporter on site is kinda cute.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    100-yo D-Day Veteran Knew WWII Was Ending 48 Hours Before Rest of the World - Still Keeps the Historic Note

Every child born into the Morgan family of Cheshire will be able to hold in their hands a very unique piece of World War II memorabilia thanks to the current patriarch, Bernard.

Sergeant Bernard Morgan was working as a Royal Air Force codebreaker in 1945 when he deciphered a secret telex that read: “The German war is now over… The surrender is effective sometime tomorrow”.

Last week Bernard celebrated his 100th birthday, and while he had already offered copies of the communicae to two different museums, he’s vowed that the real one will pass to his family when he dies.

Ahead of his birthday, the great-grandad read out the note to interviewers, dressed in the uniform he wore on D-day to remind others of the liberties they had won in the victory.

Bernard was the youngest RAF sergeant to land in Normandy in June 1944, when he and his team of codebreakers disembarked on Gold Beach, where the British Army defeated the 352nd Infantry Division and suffered 1,100 casualties.

“I am always keen for the younger generation to know exactly what went on during the War and to appreciate the sacrifice that our lads made so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today,” said Morgan.

He was stationed in Schneverdingen, Germany, when he got the message on around May 6, 1945, declaring that the war in Europe was ending via his Typex machine.

The note stated:

The German War is now over. At Rheims last night the instrument of surrender was signed which in effect is a surrender of all personnel of the German forces – all equipment and shipping and all machinery in Germany.

Nothing will be destroyed anywhere. The surrender is effective some time tomorrow. This news will not be communicated to anyone outside the service nor to members of the press.

Following the news, and as you might imagine, Bernard had a big party with his close comrades—lighting a huge bonfire and celebrating into the night while being careful not to give the game away. He kept both the note and his role in the war hidden for 50 years due to secrecy documents he had signed, which finally elapsed in 1994.

“The Imperial War Museum in London and in Manchester both wanted the original copy— they weren’t interested in a photocopy—but I’m keeping it for my family,” he said.
    Pretty cool

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    Just listened, absolutely fantastic. Loved the part about he and Bill telling each other "not good enough" and Gary talking about Denning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X