Wichita Skykings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how to respond to people directly but

Royalshock: Yes Soup Nazi will be at the game on April 15th! No soup for you in full effect

Both Tyson and Craig are guards, great guards for sure, but the competition level overseas, G league and in our league is tougher for guards than for bigs.
    In a perfect world I'd make an only shockers team, but often times the cookie doesn't crumble that way.
    Both possibilities for next season, but switching horses midway through the season isn't something coach wants to do, he's only focused on adding bigs if we add any players truthfully at the moment.

Both fantastic guards for sure! But coach has his system, and not even I as the owner can really overrule him especially since it's working well so far.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Yes you did. Not entirely sure who that is, but I've seen it posted
      He is a minor Seinfeld character. "No soup for you!"

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

He is a minor Seinfeld character. "No soup for you!"
        All Sienfeld characters are minor to me. God I hated that show
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Wichita_Skykings View Post
          Both Tyson and Craig are guards, great guards for sure, but the competition level overseas, G league and in our league is tougher for guards than for bigs.
          In a perfect world I'd make an only shockers team, but often times the cookie doesn't crumble that way.
          Both possibilities for next season, but switching horses midway through the season isn't something coach wants to do, he's only focused on adding bigs if we add any players truthfully at the moment.

Both fantastic guards for sure! But coach has his system, and not even I as the owner can really overrule him especially since it's working well so far.
          Yeah, I wasn't thinking Skykings specifically, just the league in general might be a good fit for them.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Also have Markquis Nowell from K State on the 16th. And MVS from The Chiefs on the 21st. Also working with Gradey dick to find a time here in the near future, as well as some existing NBA pros after the season wraps up for some of them (if it wraps up and they don't make the playoffs)

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

All Sienfeld characters are minor to me. God I hated that show

Comment

Wichita_Skykings how big is a typical back office in terms of number of employees for a team in this league? Are you the G.M.?
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

We have 30 employees in total
                  8 full time and 22 part time (for example our graphic designer splits her time between us and the thunder).

Most are usually about that size, some a little smaller, some larger. For example the team in Potawatomi owns their own venue as well so they have a larger staff and front office to run the arena as well.

Truthfully I'd like to run a little leaner, I like when it's less people myself.

And I own the team. I also own Brookwood capital, the real estate arm that owns several shopping centers in wichita and all over the country.
                  So I wouldn't say I'm the GM, roster decisions aren't mine, I leave that up to the staff, but I like to hop into message boards (especially deep basketball knowledge boards like this) and chat it upppppppp!

Side note:
                  Chance Commanche who just signed with Portland was in our league last year. That's another guy going from the TBL to the NBA (he made a pit stop in the G league for a bit).
                  The talent level is just as competitive as high level Europe if not frankly better because our guys are guys that were projected to go NBA or will go NBA, and if not they'll cycle on down to Europe in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Wichita_Skykings View Post
                    We have 30 employees in total
                    8 full time and 22 part time (for example our graphic designer splits her time between us and the thunder).

Most are usually about that size, some a little smaller, some larger. For example the team in Potawatomi owns their own venue as well so they have a larger staff and front office to run the arena as well.

Truthfully I'd like to run a little leaner, I like when it's less people myself.

And I own the team. I also own Brookwood capital, the real estate arm that owns several shopping centers in wichita and all over the country.
                    So I wouldn't say I'm the GM, roster decisions aren't mine, I leave that up to the staff, but I like to hop into message boards (especially deep basketball knowledge boards like this) and chat it upppppppp!

Side note:
                    Chance Commanche who just signed with Portland was in our league last year. That's another guy going from the TBL to the NBA (he made a pit stop in the G league for a bit).
                    The talent level is just as competitive as high level Europe if not frankly better because our guys are guys that were projected to go NBA or will go NBA, and if not they'll cycle on down to Europe in a few years.
                    This is great and thank you for sharing it with us. I'm definitely heading out to see the soup nazi (and of course the basketball). TBH I probably wouldn't have without this information, and I would have been disappointed to miss it, so thank you again!

Comment

I went to the Soup Nazi game. The basketball was pretty good and entertaining. Teddy didn't play for some reason (disappointing), but the SkyKings still won 145-94. Their opponent only had one good player, IMO, and couldn't match Wichita's size or athleticism. The fan engagement and in-game production is decent, though I could do without hip hop playing over the PA for the entire game. But I understand I'm not the target demographic.

Johnny McCants, former New Mexico State player, was impressive. Good rebounder.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Royalshock, We want the DJ to mix in other music as well! the music playing is similar to the NBA experience. And yes the other team couldn't match our size, but it's hard to do that as our front line is all 6'9 to 7'1.

I'll take that feedback to the team about the music.
                        This Friday will most likely be our biggest game of the season with MVS from the Chiefs. Johnny is one of my favorite players, he just plays the game well.
                        All our guys had tremendous overseas options but they chose our team and league because we send 4 to 6 guys a year directly to the league...not the G league. The NBA, as I said about Chance Comanche and previously Lindy waters and several others.

No soup for you!

Comment

I didn't realize the NBA did that with the music. I've never been to an NBA game. As a child of the 80s I doubt the DJ would mix in much that would be to my liking! So I'm not sure how valuable my feedback is, in that regard.

I was impressed with the SkyKings' roster construction, even considering Allen didn't play. I thought they played good defense. Seemed to be a well-coached team, as well. It was nice to see guys make the extra pass, knock down open shots and rebound with tenacity.

And kudos to the kids who participated in the timeout promotions! A girl nailed it on her first cornhole toss (barely touched the board), and the boy who hit the halfcourt shot.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            I didn't realize the NBA did that with the music. I've never been to an NBA game. As a child of the 80s I doubt the DJ would mix in much that would be to my liking! So I'm not sure how valuable my feedback is, in that regard.

I was impressed with the SkyKings' roster construction, even considering Allen didn't play. I thought they played good defense. Seemed to be a well-coached team, as well. It was nice to see guys make the extra pass, knock down open shots and rebound with tenacity.

And kudos to the kids who participated in the timeout promotions! A girl nailed it on her first cornhole toss (barely touched the board), and the boy who hit the halfcourt shot.
                            I've only been to one NBA game and that was a couple of years ago when I went with a friend and his uncle to an OKC game. The non-stop music is annoying. I'm perfectly fine with Hip Hop and such, but I don't go to a game for all of that. Perhaps it doesn't help that I have what my therapist calls Meta Awareness and having all of that noise is distracting, making it harder to focus on what I'm there to focus on and therefore exhausting. But it is what it is and it's how pro basketball seems to operate these days. It will probably keep me away from going to any more NBA games and might prevent me from going to a SkyKings game for the same reason. Though one of my unofficial nephews has some free vouchers that he won somewhere and wants me to go with him/them to a game. So I might get sucked into one.

It does sound like the product on the court is worth seeing though. I just don't know if I could truly appreciate it with so much else going on messing with my senses and focus. But I'll go for the kids if asked.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KSN - Wichita Sky Kings players talk about the season

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Derrick Colter and Jachai Simmons with the Wichita Sky Kings stopped by KSN News to talk about the season so far and the upcoming games. The team has a 9-2 record.

At the Sky Kings game on Friday, April 21, you can see Chiefs receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling who helped the Chiefs win the Super Bowl. Doors open at 6 p.m. at Charles Koch Arena. Kids 10 and under are free. The game against the St. Louis Griffins will follow at 7 p.m.

For tickets, click here.
                              The video of the news segment is in the link.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Honestly I TOTALLY agree with y'all! As a basketball person myself, and as a season courtside season ticket holder for the Pelicans I LOVE when there isn't music cause then I can hear the coach calling out plays, I've even gone so far as to memorize some of their plays so I know when they call out Elbow, there's a down screen for Ingram flashing to the elbow for a nice jumper.

The basketball is what I'm most proud of.
                                Yes the celebrities doing meet and greets are nice, the music, the mini games of kids hitting Halfcourt shot for $1,000 is cool

BUT
                                most importantly the basketball product is what I'm most proud of, and honestly that's why our guys are here! They are here cause they want their shot at the NBA summer league and the NBA, and I expect you'll see a few of our guys this summer at the NBA summer league and may have to have a whole new roster next year if our guys play their cards right.

Thanks for continuing to entertain me on your boards! Love chatting basketball with folks! If anybody comes to a game come find me and say hello, I'm at the scorers table typically!

Comment

Working...
                                X