• Time
  • Show
Clear All

No QB? I'm disappointed
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      No QB? I'm disappointed
      Apparently they were planning on taking Cousins in the 4th round, but he was taken just a few picks before them (by the Redskins who most analysts thought was dumb considering they traded up for RGIII).

In any case, outside of the top 2, there was no can't miss QB (and certainly not one outside of the first round - Tannehill and Weeden). So no one they could have drafted would have come in a competed right away and they just drafted Stanzi last year, so they already have a developmental guy who is a year ahead of anyone they would have picked up this year.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I'll admit after the 3rd round I was only excited if KC was planning on using a 4 OT offense (why spend 2 of first 3 picks on OT when you're set at starter?). But as I read about them I felt better, with one possibly going to G and Stephenson honestly looking like a good value pick, and we did all complain about no depth with injuries last year. I was hoping for a slightly higher grade WR but the guys they got don't look bad, and I think Gray in the 6th was a good pick. According to NFL.com's point "grades" it looked like KC often was getting higher value players that the picks around them FWIW.

Comment

If you all use Jackson as a bad pick example, you don't watch him play. In fact, he should get an extension. Sure he is not a glamourous pick at 3 over all or whatever he was, but he does his job nicely. All he and Dorsey have to do is be big and strong and push. Thats it. Its not their job to sack the QB. The 3-4 scheme uses linemen as a way to nullify the o-line, allowing Hali and DJ to do work.

Now, the draft. I am really excited about Devon Wylie. He will give us a fourth solid WR and fill the slot nicely, and really adds depth to the WR corps. I'm glad that the focus was on linemen, as that was the weak spot for the team. Now they can cut B-Rich and have a solid deep o-line. They didn't get their QB so they took that lemon and built a wall around it. Cyrus Gray will be a great back for what the chiefs were wanting from Dex last year, allowing Dex to be a true X factor this year. Gray can do it all, and if hillis doesn't pan out, Gray gets more reps. Menzie is a question mark. KC is really deep at DB so maybe he steps into McGraws spot, and shabby can go back to flipping burgers or being Haley's wifes boy-toy.

I like this draft because it wasn't full of flashy players. It sent a message to the NFL.

Everyone has their opinion about their own team and as Kansas City Chiefs fans we're admittedly a little biased about our team. The Chiefs last year went 7-9, despite multiple injuries to key players, and after free agency and the NFL Draft I'd say the Chiefs got better from the end of last season to now.

28. Kansas City Chiefs: Do Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel seem overly optimistic in their assessment of the Chiefs' talent level - or am I just so pessimistic about K.C.'s quarterback situation that it completely clouds my thinking?
          Yes, it does seem like the Chiefs are a little optimistic about their own team. Matt Conner mentioned on the Chop Talk podcast last night that it almost seems like the Chiefs have a swagger, saying they have very few needs before the draft and then picking Dontari Poe and expecting their coaches to coach him up.
          I am with Crennel and Pioli.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

I am not
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The only positions where KC needed a clear cut better starter of 1st round quality were QB and NT.
              WR- Was there a WR better than Bowe, Breaston, and even Baldwin at 11?
              RB- Was there a better back than JC or Hillis at 11?
              QB- Was there a QB of first round quality at 11? Weeden was of interest, but Browns beat KC.
              TE- Don't think I need to say anything here.
              OL- Albert, Asamoah, Lilja. With the addition of Winston, not much was needed here. Kalil would have been the pick had he slid far enough, no doubt.
              P- Hell naw.
              DL- Gaping hole at NT. Dorsey and Jackson do their jobs. Gilberry is a great option as well. Bailey is up and coming. Toribio is the only NT capable DL on the team. Gregg fit nicely last year but everyone knew it was a temporary fix. Poe was available and worth a pick at 11.
              LB- Tamba, Houston will be a tandem worth watching. Just look back at the last four games of last season. DJ is turning into a perennial Pro Bowl player. Stoudie is a capable backup, as well as Greenwood. They felt good enough about their backing corps to let Demarrio Williams seek greener pastures. Everybody forgot about Cameron Sheffield. Look for a breakout with him. No needs here, especially worth spending a first round draft pick.
              DB- Flowers, Routt, Arenas, Reeves, Daniels. And as NE says, CBs are a dime a dozen. KC had two really good ones, and Carr is now one of the highest paid in the league. Not worth a first round. Nice? Yes, but not worth it.
              S- Eric Berry. Kendrick Lewis. Picked up Kyle McCarthy, who is an upgrade over Sabby Piscitelli. Of course, so is my wiener dog.
              K- Ryan Succop is one of the most underrated kickers in the league. Not worth it.

Linemen were the gaping hole this year. KC drafted some good ones. I'm going to give crennel until the bye to prove Poe. Luck and Griffin III would not have been pried from Colts and Skins.

Would you rather have overpaid for Tannehill?
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

You can say Jackson does his job all you want. I'm not convinced. I've seen him get pushed around like a little ***** way too much.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Yes there were better receivers avaiable at 11. There were a lot of better D-linemen available than they guy they took, also.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Yes there were better receivers avaiable at 11. There were a lot of better D-linemen available than they guy they took, also.
                    Following the NY Giants 2010 draft Walterfootball.com gave them a grade of C and had the following comments:

"Giants general manager Jerry Reese usually has smart, safe drafts where he takes the best player off the board. So having said that, it was very strange to see Reese draft players like Jason Pierre-Paul and Linval Joseph – two very athletic high-risk, high-upside players.

Inside linebacker was a huge need that Reese didn’t address until the fourth round with Phillip Dillard. Dillard was decent value there, but it’s unclear if he’ll be an upgrade over Antonio Pierce. Why not draft Sean Weatherspoon at No. 15? Weatherspoon would have been a better fit for Perry Fewell’s defense than Rolando McClain.

Overall, it’s possible that we’ll look back in a few years and give the Giants an A+ grade if Pierre-Paul and Joseph pan out. It’s more likely, however, that New York will deserve an F because those two players have a high bust rate. So, let’s meet in the middle and give the Giants a C."

In drafting Poe, the Chiefs were doing just what the Giants were doing in drafting Jason Pierre-Paul running the risk of a bust for the potential gain of an absolute gamechanger. Just like the Giants in 2010, I'll give them a C. It could turn into an F but it could also turn into an A+
                    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I wish that they would have drafted cousins a little earlier (3rd round or trade up in the 4th to make sure they got him). They need to continue to draft quarterbacks until they find what they want. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with what they did. Poe was the only true NT to fit their system and they need to draft OL's.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        I wish that they would have drafted cousins a little earlier (3rd round or trade up in the 4th to make sure they got him). They need to continue to draft quarterbacks until they find what they want. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with what they did. Poe was the only true NT to fit their system and they need to draft OL's.
                        A lot of that comes down to what they think of Stanzi. If they like what they have seen of him, I don't see that they need to reach for another QB (or trade away picks to move up to get one). Since adding a QB in the draft means either cutting the veteran you just signed or the developmental guy just recently drafted, you have to be convinced that the rookie is a clear upgrade. Either that or use a late round pick so that it isn't a big deal if the guy doesn't make the team and you can try to develop him on the practice squad without much risk of another team signing him.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                          A lot of that comes down to what they think of Stanzi. If they like what they have seen of him, I don't see that they need to reach for another QB (or trade away picks to move up to get one). Since adding a QB in the draft means either cutting the veteran you just signed or the developmental guy just recently drafted, you have to be convinced that the rookie is a clear upgrade. Either that or use a late round pick so that it isn't a big deal if the guy doesn't make the team and you can try to develop him on the practice squad without much risk of another team signing him.
                          I would guess that they haven't given up on Stanzi yet but if they thought that he was going to be a starter, he would have been given a little time last year. If they thought that Cousins was worth a 4th round try, they should have made sure they got him.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            I would guess that they haven't given up on Stanzi yet but if they thought that he was going to be a starter, he would have been given a little time last year. If they thought that Cousins was worth a 4th round try, they should have made sure they got him.
                            Actually, there are very good reasons for him not playing last year that don't give any clues about what the coach and GM think of him. The coach that played Palko instead of Stanzi was fired and Palko is no longer on the roster. The current coach started Orton, and given that the Chiefs A) were potentially in contention down the stretch, and B) needed to evaluate if they wanted to offer Orton a deal beyond last season, it makes sense to play him over Stanzi.

As for Cousins, two things are true. First, I don't think anyone expected the Redskins to take him. Therefore the Chiefs didn't have any particular reason to think they needed to trade up in the round to secure him. If you have reason to believe he will be there at your pick, it doesn't make sense to trade up. Furthermore, even if you thought he might be gone it still may not sense to trade up. Saying that you think Cousins is worth a 4th round pick is not the same as saying that Cousins is worth a 4th round pick and whatever pick you would have to give up to move up in the round.

Comment

Some think that Orton was the answer. I never did. I think that Orton = Cassel. Both are somewhere in the middle as QB's in the NFL. But I don't think that Cassel is the longer term answer (although he can probably get them to the playoffs). They need to continue to search and if they thought that Cousins may be the answer (I dont' know there evaluation), they shoudl have made sure they got him. I know that it's hindsight but they need to find an answer.

Comment

I agree. I like the fact that they are taking their time, and not letting the fact that the need a new qb hasten their search and causing a clevelend brown type atmosphere where they have a new starting qb every game. They are committed to Cassel just as far as the qb that they feel comfortable taking shows up.there is not a lot of qb drama in kc.

Comment

Working...
                                X