Best Players and Teams Money Can Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Players and Teams Money Can Buy

OK, I love baseball and am somewhat of a stat freak so, watching the agony that is Royals baseball so far this year, I was pondering Gordon's new contract and whether last year's performance was for real or just an aberration given his previous history.

Then I thought, I bet he's got a lot of company making much more than he and not earning it either. I may miss a position player or two in the following list, but it includes the highest paid players: A Rod, Jeter, Teixeira, Mauer, Ichiro, Fielder, Cabrera, T. Hunter, A. Gonzalez, V. Wells, Howard (injuried, no stats), and Pujols. Actually, Pujols is only making $12 mill this year as his contract is very heavily back-loaded, but I included him anyway given the size of the overall contract.

Totaling these players stats (yes, it's very early in the season) and figuring them on the basis of 600 AB for the season, we get:

AB 600, R 82, Hits 171, Doubles 33, HR 20, RBI 80, and Avg .284 Salary $274,100,000

Remove Jeter (who one might argue he's earning his $25 mill), you have:

AB 600, R 79, Hits 164, Doubles 33, HR 18, RBI 77, and Avg .273 Salary $249,100,000 or $22.6 mill a piece, keeping in mind, that salary average is brought down by Pujols $12 mill.

I find it amazing that if a player averaged what these guys are doing combined, he wouldn't smell half that salary.

As for the four highest paid teams, Yanks, Red Sox, Angels, and Phillies, they have a combined record of 26-35 so far.

I believe in free markets, but it does run amok sometimes.

I thought you were going to be talking about Kentucky basketball.

Very Moneyball esque

Comment

Working...
    X