Wichita Thunder Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita Thunder Update

I realize not everyone likes hockey, but with basketball over, the NBA a joke, baseball worse, and frankly very little in the way of local sporting alternatives, I'd like to make a case for following these guys the rest of the way home.

If you haven't been paying attention, the Thunder had the best regular season record in the CHL and last evening eliminated Rio Grand Valley in the 1st round of the playoffs.

With the addition of former Edmonton Oiler and Wayne Gretzky teammate Kevin McClelland as Head Coach last season, the Thunder has become an entirely different team. They play harder, they skate faster, and, obviously, they win more.

But even "at this level", playoff hockey is a totally different animal. The games just mean more...the players finish checks, they track down every loose puck, they sacrifice their bodies in front of shots, and goalies make one miraculous save after another to keep their teams alive.

If you like hockey, you'll enjoy these games, I promise you. Intrust is getting better at what they do and it's a big time environment. Okay, I might leave the kids at home....the crowd can get a little rough at times, but it's really not that bad.

I'm proud of the organization, especially General Manager Joel Lomurno. Those of you that know the road Joel has traveled to get to where he is today know that it's been a rags to riches story. He deserves to bask in the glory of his achievements.

With a lot of weekend games (the Conference finals start next Friday at home where the Thunder will enjoy home ice status for as long as they stay alive in the playoffs) the crowds will be large and engaged the rest of the season. You should try and get to a game....I promise you'll be entertained, and I'd bet afterwards you'll want to go again.

Playoff hockey is a different animal and worthy of your entertainment dollar.

(WuDrWu is not paid spokesman for the Wichita Thunder or the CHL. He has not been reimbursed for his comments here and all statements and opinions are his alone and do not reflect those of the Wichita Thunder, the CHL or the NHL. All rights reserved.)

My girlfriends company had a suite for a game a month or so ago. I had forgotten just how much fun live hockey is. I don't have a lot of friends that like hockey so I haven't been in quite some time. Now I'm itching to go back. If anyone has the time and the finances to commit, they should. The crowd is good and the Thunder have a lot of loyal fans who've stuck with them for quite some time. This has been an amazing season for Wichita hockey fans.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I will echo Doc's thoughts and add a couple of things (as a season ticket holder on the glass):

1. Live hockey even "at this level" is not comparable to watching it on television. If you never have been to a live game, give it a chance.
      2. Lots of talent on this team, I mean guys with a break here or there could have played in the show.
      3. Baseball sucks (I know Doc mentioned that but I just wanted to bring it up again).

I thought several times this year I would start a Thunder thread but for one reason or another never did.

Comment

I had season tickets from 2002 until I moved out of Wichita in 2007. I still follow the Thunder on the internet and try to make a game whenever I'm back in town. The franchise has had some spectacularly bad seasons in very recent history and I'm glad to see them doing so well this year. They have had a tremendous season and remind me very much of the championship teams from the mid-1990s. This is the 20th season for the Thunder, and very soon it will be the longest continuously operating sports franchise in Wichita history, and just for this commitment the team should be celebrated regardless of what happens on the ice during the rest of the playoffs.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I went to 3 games last year including a playoff game, and have been to 4 so far this year including one of the playoff games. I have 3 kids and they love it...we sit down on the glass near center ice, use the same tickets as @shoxlax:. If you have the opportunity it's a heck of a lot of fun sitting on the glass...my kids (1, 3, and 7) love seeing the players smack into the glass right in front of us. I've been to a few games over the last 20 years, been to more the last 2 years than before combined. It's a whole different atmosphere at IBA and with being this good.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I don't have a lot of friends
            :-(
            I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

Working...
            X