James Webb Space Telescope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Webb Space Telescope

This thing has provided some spectacular pics in its short time in space. I'll try to grab some pics to upload, or a link to some when I get a chance to do so.

Feel free to do the same if you care to.

Scientists Stunned by New Jupiter Images With Galaxies 'Photobombing' the Webb Telescope

With giant storms, powerful winds, auroras, and extreme temperature and pressure conditions, Jupiter has a lot going on—and NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has captured some incredible new images of the planet.

“We hadn’t really expected it to be this good, to be honest,” said planetary astronomer Imke de Pater, professor emerita of the University of California, Berkeley, who led the observations of Jupiter with Thierry Fouchet, of the Paris Observatory.

“It’s really remarkable that we can see details on Jupiter together with its rings, tiny satellites, and even galaxies in one image,” she said.

The two images come from the observatory’s Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam), which has three specialized infrared filters that showcase details of the planet.

In the wide-field view (above), Webb sees Jupiter with its faint rings, which are a million times fainter than the planet, and two tiny moons called Amalthea and Adrastea. The fuzzy spots in the lower background are likely galaxies “photobombing” this Jovian view.

“This one image sums up the science of our Jupiter system program, which studies the dynamics and chemistry of Jupiter itself, its rings, and its satellite system,” Fouchet said.

In the standalone view of Jupiter below, created from a composite of several images from Webb, dreamy auroras extend to altitudes high above both the northern and southern poles of Jupiter.
    There are a couple of remarkable images of Jupiter in the link.

Flickr link to NASA created page of images. Assuming more to be added as they come along.
    Last edited by SubGod22; August 24, 2022, 10:08 AM.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

That first link is taking me somewhere else besides Jupiter images.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
      That first link is taking me somewhere else besides Jupiter images.
      That was really weird. Not sure how it got redirected to an article I don't think I've ever read. It should be updated to the original article with the photos of Jupiter within. At least it worked for me when I tried it.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here is the direct link to the NASA instagram site for webb.

NASA Webb Telescope (@nasawebb) • Instagram photos and videos

Comment

NASA Detects Carbon Dioxide-the Building Block of Life-in Exoplanet's Atmosphere for First Time

For all the grief carbon dioxide gets down here on Earth, its detection for the first time ever in the atmosphere of an exoplanet has scientists elated.

The finding, produced by the James Webb Space Telescope, offers evidence that in the future Webb will be able to measure carbon dioxide in the thinner atmospheres of smaller rocky planets—and zero in on those most likely to contain life.

This observation of a gas giant planet orbiting a Sun-like star 700 light-years away provided important insights into the composition and formation of the planet,

For all the grief carbon dioxide gets down here on Earth, its detection for the first time ever in the atmosphere of an exoplanet has scientists elated.

The finding, produced by the James Webb Space Telescope, offers evidence that in the future Webb will be able to measure carbon dioxide in the thinner atmospheres of smaller rocky planets—and zero in on those most likely to contain life.

This observation of a gas giant planet orbiting a Sun-like star 700 light-years away provided important insights into the composition and formation of the planet,
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Dude could really use some skin cream.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Wasn't there a guy named Webb Hubble?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Drafted by the Chicago Bears but got injured. Became Associate AG and got caught up in Whitewater. He apparently now writes novels.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Were you thinkin' of Edwin Hubble?

Comment

I was thinking of the Whitewater guy. I saw James Webb, looked it up and the sight compared the Webb telescope to the Hubble telescope and my mind of course went to the Clinton Crime Family.

Comment

Oh hahahaha

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

That is an incredible image!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              That is an incredible image!
                              "Maybe this is heaven?" It sure isn't Iowa.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X